Chris Grier: "i Didn't Expect Minkah To Be There. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Grier: "i Didn't Expect Minkah To Be There.

While Fitzpatrick was absolutely the right pick, I fully understand fans seeing 4 QBs go top 10 and Miami not trying to do anything to move up to get one.

Some people just aren't comfortable putting the eggs in the Ryan Tannehill basket, coming off 2 knee injuries and not playing in 20 months.

I am more discouraged that we didn't like a guy "enough" to draft him somewhere over the last 3 days . . . all while sitting on Brock Osweiller. Scary to think we were content with Osweiller and Fales, over one of the rookies, starting in round 3 when none were taken since the first round.

We are still in April . . . the proof will be in December/January . . . until then its all good.

Good point. Someone like White late would have made sense. Guess Miami thought Fales was as good as some of the late rounders.

As to the top four quarterbacks, it's so hard to say if/how many will actually be upgrades over Tannehill. I thought Cleveland got it right. Guess we'll see. To me, Mayfield and Rosen were the top two, but Allen is very, very intriguing.

At the very least, the Dolphins finally "may have" a complete offense. I love the Penn State tight end. I thought he was the best receiving tight end in the draft and someone that will really help this offense. We might finally have the pieces to score more than 20 points a game!

People can say what they want about the QB situation with this draft. The top 4 QBs are way over hyped and when we look back in 2 years I really wonder who will make it and who will be a bust. I think Allen has great bust potential because of his accuracy problems. I can see him missing receivers for a while, maybe a year or two. I never liked Darnold's game that much and his stats are a lot like Carson Palmer. I think he'll NOT be as good as Carson Palmer. Josh Rosen is out in Zona, who knows how he'll do in that division. If he doesn't have time to throw he'll do badly and I wonder what he'll be like during tough times. His medical is very bad re the concussions, he's had 2 that they admit to. This situation is very serious and could derail the kid's progress. I like his game but he reminds me of Jay Cutler in demeanor, that's not good. I love Baker, the kid reminds me of a shorter Marino in a way. I would have loved to have him on the Dolphins. It's hard to predict how he'll do in Cleveland but I think he'll start day one.

There is one QB I think the whole NFL is going to sleep on and his name is Ryan Tannehill. There is no reason on earth why he won't return to form and be a very good to excellent QB for the Dolphins. All he needs to do is pick up where he left off. This team is way stronger than it was just 90 days ago and smart decisions are being made as I write this to get even better. Gase is all in on Ryan and Ryan is going to BUST OUT big time this season. Opinions about a player can change quickly and RT is going to earn some respect this season. Botton line-QB will be a strength this season. This offense is suddenly pretty loaded. RT has never had close to this kind of talent around him taking in the full scope of the new o-line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, the new Tight Ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Drake, Gore, Ballage to carry the rock and Parker, Stills, Amendola, Wilson, Grant etc. I think we're going to be pretty damn good THIS season and Tannehill back under center is going to be a very good thing imo. If you hate RT please don't hate on me, I just think he's going to have a nice comeback year and make us all happy.

Sure, we've all been around long enough to know that the book on any player, even a first rounder isn't written after the first year. But still...I saw Dion Jordan make more plays as a rookie than Charles Harris. Harris was insanely invisible last year. If he develops into a star it will all be forgotten, but I do get pretty disappointed when first rounders don't make an impact. Why are they drafted in the first round then?

While Fitzpatrick was absolutely the right pick, I fully understand fans seeing 4 QBs go top 10 and Miami not trying to do anything to move up to get one.

Some people just aren't comfortable putting the eggs in the Ryan Tannehill basket, coming off 2 knee injuries and not playing in 20 months.

I am more discouraged that we didn't like a guy "enough" to draft him somewhere over the last 3 days . . . all while sitting on Brock Osweiller. Scary to think we were content with Osweiller and Fales, over one of the rookies, starting in round 3 when none were taken since the first round.

We are still in April . . . the proof will be in December/January . . . until then its all good.

If Tannehill does get injured again or isn’t the same we shouldn’t send in a mediocre QB that we just took in the 3rd or 5th round to keep us mediocre. We should play the garbage back up so we can draft a high profile one next year when we only win 2-3 games. There isn’t anyone in these late rounds that would save our season if Tannehill fails/gets injured.

there's simething ti consider that i never read here: we act as if mgmnt has no other QB contingency plan just because WE DONT KNOW IT.

i wouldnt be surprised if Gase has half a dozen targets in mind should RT go down, and Fins have probably even spoken with Teams on possible mid-year deals if it happened. Teams face this scenarioand possibility every year.

Gase obviously did not see a qb who he wanted when they were available, compared to what other personnel he wanted. quite simple.

And yet, after day one, nearly every draft analyst graded Miamis pick a B or B+. Seriously, no wonder these draft gurus screw up all the time.

The only two teams that had grades similar or slightly better than Miami in terms of value and needs were the Broncos and the Chargers.

Fitz was not only the BPA, he also fits a huge need because we suck in the middle of the field. That's far more useful than a rookie QB who probably doesn't play. Fitz has the talent to be face the face of the defense for years. We got very lucky he fell to 11 due to other teams picking other needs. I was shocked he was there. In a normal draft he's a top 5 talent.

Seems like last couple drafts we've heard alot more from Grier and less from Tannenbaum, the way it should be. Year 1 you could tell he was still feeling out the bigger role publicly.

Wonder if this draft reflects his "rise to power" so to speak. I envision its still a team effort between Grier and tbaum, with Gase input, and Ross just there to sign off...but would like to think Grier, a scout by trade, is steering the ship come draft time.

If Tannehill does get injured again or isn’t the same we shouldn’t send in a mediocre QB that we just took in the 3rd or 5th round to keep us mediocre. We should play the garbage back up so we can draft a high profile one next year when we only win 2-3 games. There isn’t anyone in these late rounds that would save our season if Tannehill fails/gets injured.

Its not about saving the season, its about having some developmental talent somewhere on your roster at the most important position on the field.

You don’t know what you have in your building until you take the time to draft and work with the player. We don’t do that nearly enough.

I'm not going to get into semantics with this. Dude suffered a knee injury in 2016 . . . did a full rehab . . . suffered an injury to the same previously injured but cleared knee in 2017 . . . and then had surgery . . . AND STILL has to rehab again and prove he can be the same QB he was prior to the first injury, from a movement and mental aspect . . . nearly 2 years ago.

Completely understand there being concern about this 30 year old guy going into year 7 with this recent injury baggage and potential franchise QBs are within reach. Just being realistic about it.

Tanny can shut all his doubters up by continuing where he left off in 2016 . . . but this front office is playing with fire because if he does get injured and you trot Brock Osweiller out on the field . . . they ALL need to be fired.
Would you rather them "trot" out a rookie?

BTW, in 2012 when Osweiler was drafted he was considered the 6th best QB in his class so he was Mason Rudolph or in that area. I think the reason he's here is that he backed up Peyton for 3 years and when he was asked to play he did well and led the team to wins. He sucked in Houston but I'm not sure why. He knows this system cold and Gase figures in an emergency he'd rather have a guy he knows than a rookie or a veteran that would have to first learn the system. If he's not looking like he's the guy we can always just cut him. If he was good enough the be the backup on a Super Bowl winner we probably could have a look at him.

BTW, in 2012 when Osweiler was drafted he was considered the 6th best QB in his class so he was Mason Rudolph or in that area. I think the reason he's here is that he backed up Peyton for 3 years and when he was asked to play he did well and led the team to wins. He sucked in Houston but I'm not sure why. He knows this system cold and Gase figures in an emergency he'd rather have a guy he knows than a rookie or a veteran that would have to first learn the system. If he's not looking like he's the guy we can always just cut him. If he was good enough the be the backup on a Super Bowl winner we probably could have a look at him.

The thing with Osweiler is that he just looks like he flat out lost his confidence. At the end of the day its a good thing just to have a backup who knows the system, but I gave up dreaming that Osweiler could capture that flash in the pan magic. Lots of QB's have done well in their first few starts before teams figure them out and their confidence gets rattled. Osweiler was never particularly accurate even when he was doing well, so when he stopped being able to read the field as easily as teams figured him out, he just didn't have the tools.

I didn't expect Minkah to be there either.

I texted my buddy when Miami was on the clock and said....
I want Minkah. I'm thinking it may be Edmunds. If it's Vea, i'm breaking stuff.....and lots of it.

Back
Top Bottom