CK's Mocking the Mock | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CK's Mocking the Mock

I don't think the draft will unfold anything like this, but I could see us having to settle for Watson at 16 if we can't trade down. Watson fills a need, but at this point we have more pressing needs. It would be a disappointment IMO to take Watston with our first rounder.

i dunno. look up "boom/bust prospect" in the dictionary and watson's picture is right beside it. he's a talented player, but does he have the drive to be a force on every play? taking plays off in the league can mean big plays for the opposition. and can he keep his weight under control? he has the body type that will ballon up from time to time. he is a risky pick, especially at 16, and is a guy who can be had later, as no 3-4 teams w/ a need a dt have a pick the rest of the 1st round, so if saban really wanted him, he would only need to get in front of the saints or jets to acquire him imo. he's probably not a guy who kc or carolina would want b/c he is a nt, so why take him at #16 as opposed to the late 20's or early 30's.

These reports of Cody Douglas and Nick Mangold handling Watson in the Senior Bowl are a little on the ridiculous side.

Finfan54, what is with your complete disregard for who was on whose team in the Senior Bowl? Did you watch the game? Nick Mangold is on the North squad. Gabe Watson is on the North squad. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was on the North squad, and Tamba Hali was on the North squad. Yet, you accused Ferguson of getting handled by Tamba Hali in the second half of the Senior Bowl, and now you accuse Gabe Watson of getting handled by Nick Mangold in the Senior Bowl.

For the record, when Nick Mangold was doing his impressive work in the Senior Bowl practices, it was mostly against Dusty Dvoracek. Gabe Watson was generally considered a BEAST during Senior Bowl practices, and at one point they actually had to take Watson OUT of the practices because he was giving guys like Nick Mangold, Marvin Philip, Charles Spencer, Mark Setterstrom, and Davin Joseph fits to where the coaches felt they couldn't even get in any constructive OL work.

During the game I noted double teams on Watson plenty of times. I also noted that Max Jean-Gilles did a good job on him...those two were having some real battles and it was fun to watch.

But nobody really "handled" Gabe Watson and it is no coincidence that the South basically had NO rushing success on the interior. If I recall correctly, all three of DeAngelo Williams' runs were bounced to the outside, and other than his three runs and Sinorice Moss' reverse, the South ran 11 times for -12 yards...7 times for 11 yards if you just count the RBs.

That doesn't sound to me like anyone on the interior of the South's OL other than Max Jean-Gilles 'handled' ANYONE on the interior of the North's DL including Gabe Watson, Julian Jenkins, Babatunde Oshinowo, and Dusty Dvoracek.

This is the thing that makes me wonder just how much Gabe Watson really disappeared during Michigan games. He went out there, hit people, had 3 tackles in the game itself (tied with D'Qwell Jackson for 2nd highest tackle count), he got a half sack with Dusty Dvoracek...the South's runners had NO luck whatsoever running through the middle of the OL...and here are people saying he "got handled".

What does he have to do? What does ANY defensive tackle have to do to escape this "disappears during games" tag? I guess they ALL have to get double digit sacks every year otherwise they're no good.

ckparrothead said:
These reports of Cody Douglas ...handling Watson in the Senior Bowl are a little on the ridiculous side...
What's ridiculous about it? The only time Watson beat Douglas was at 5:40 in the 4th quarter when Watson clearly grabbed his shirt (defensive holding).

Of the 20 plays that Watson played in the senior bowl, he was double-teamed 7 times and two times it was not necessary (Guard didn't need help).

The only player Watson beat was Mike Degory at 10:40 in the 4th...on which he got to participate in a coverage sack initiated by the other DT.

The ability for the south to run the ball up the middle didn't change when Watson was off the field. Watson was not a dominating factor in this game by any stretch of the imagination. That being said, it was a pass happy game that was designated 4-3 which may have not demonstrated his strengths. I expect a guy that big to demand a double team...and he did not.

unifiedtheory said:
I really like this mock CK....excellent job.

I LOVE the idea of going D-line.

For everyone saying "we have more pressing needs then D-line" Well...

Jason Taylor - 31
Kevin Carter - 32
Keith Traylor - 35
Vonnie Holliday - 30
Jeff Zgonina - 35
Dave Bowens - 29

Notice a trend? They are the major contributors and starters for our D-line and they are all over 30 or about to be over 30.

Yes, we have two decent prospects (Roth and Wright) but I don't want to look up in three years and that is all we have on the D-line. Continueing to plug in 32-35 year old free agents is NOT the way to go. The only reason Saban did that last year was we had NOTHING on the D-line...thanks to the previous regime.

The people trumpeting Vickerson need to re-examine that opinion. The guy has never played a regular season snap, was a 7th round pick and is coming off major knee surgery. Depending on him to be a cornerstone is pure folly.

Nick Saban's defense requires pass rushers and fresh defensive lineman...and waves of them. He WILL NOT make the mistake the previous regime did by letting the defensive line's depth rot on the vine and blow away.

In the five drafts the previous regime was in charge they drafted a TOTAL of THREE defensive lineman. None of them were selected higher then the 6th round. That is five years without adding ANY worthwhile young talent to a position that requires depth...and a lot of it.

A good comparison of how our defensive line has been ignored until Nick Saban took control, look no further then the Patriots.

During the same span of five drafts the Patriots took a total of TEN defensive lineman, including 3 first round selections. Any wonder why they are loaded and young on the defensive line and have three World Championships over the last five years?

People are looking at the possible draft picks that Nick Saban might pick from a NEED angle FAR too much. Nick will draft B.P.A. every time. If our choices are a very talented defensive lineman who has kind of dropped to us OR reaching for a cornerback or offensive lineman just because it is more of a "need", Saban will pick the guy who slipped a little 99 times out of 100 over the "need" guy who is a reach.

Good post.
I generally agree with you, but to clarify, Vickerson did NOT have surgery.
It was originally thought that he'd torn the ligaments, and was put on the IR list because of it.
Awhile later, it was discovered that he had merely strained the ligaments. No surgery necessary. :cooldude:

I'm pretty sure I'm remembering this correctly. Can anyone confirm?

You've got it right. It looked worse than it turned out to be and he was actually ready to go again by like, game 4 or 6 or something.

I like Watson as well. I really believe he will go higher than people expect and Saban needs someone just like him for his 3-4 defense. Nice mock, but I really can't see Cutler going that high.

ckparrothead said:
Here's a mock draft. NOW GO SIT ON IT AND SPIN, MEL KIPER!!

16. Miami Dolphins - DT Gabe Watson, Michigan
Jay Cutler off the board. Vince Young off the board. Michael Huff, Chad Greenway, Winston Justice, Haloti Ngata, and Antonio Cromartie all off the board. All is right with the world, and hell is still hot. I can honestly say that Gabe Watson is the most talented player left on the board here. He is a planet on the interior of the defensive line, a fast-moving one at that. He is ridiculously athletic and once upon a time he was a 5-star elite tackle prospect coming out of high school. He is a genuinely high character guy, and if Nick looks to add anti-christs like Terrell Owens to the locker room chemistry, you might as well add the mother theresa Gabe Watson on the other side to try and balance the team's karma. Watson has given away both his bowl rings, one to his dad and another to a little kid that loves Michigan football, and the only plan he has in place to spend his money is to start a company that helps underprivileged kids. At the Senior Bowl he was so ridiculously dominant against a North OL that featured high grade interior prospects like Davin Joseph, Charles Spencer, and Nick Mangold, that the coaches actually had to take Gabe out of practice so that the line could get in some 'constructive' work. Watson could replace Keith Traylor immediately, or more likely serve as his backup until he is in the full NFL shape Saban demands, and is ready to take the training pants off. This would virtually mirror the Patriots' handling of Vince Wilfork two years ago. Drafting Watson would help move Manuel Wright back to his more natural under tackle position, where he could be a force with his natural pass rushing skills.

QUOTE]

I would not like this pick at all. Even though Watson wears a good #(78 instead of some 90's #), he is lazy and disappears from games. He was often benched in games this year. The way he played in 2005, he was not even worthy of 1st day draft status.

mf52dolphin said:
I would not like this pick at all. Even though Watson wears a good #(78 instead of some 90's #), he is lazy and disappears from games. He was often benched in games this year. The way he played in 2005, he was not even worthy of 1st day draft status.

Sound's like Vince Wilfork to me. Wilfork's conditioning was in question just like Watson's. Wilfork did part time duty because of the conditioning, not unlike Watson. Wilfork disappeared from games.

And calling a guy "lazy" is a strong accusation. Do you have anything to back it up?

ckparrothead said:
Sound's like Vince Wilfork to me. Wilfork's conditioning was in question just like Watson's. Wilfork did part time duty because of the conditioning, not unlike Watson. Wilfork disappeared from games.

And calling a guy "lazy" is a strong accusation. Do you have anything to back it up?

During some of the Michigan games shown on ESPN in 2005, Both Bob Davie and Chris Spielman mentioned that Watson had problems with being lazy and taking plays off. Also Watson was benched in one start, with laziness being mentioned as a reason for it.

Also Watson was invisible during Michigan's loss in the Alamo Bowl this year.

ckparrothead said:

It's all opinion, but I don't like the Watson pick. I think Jay Cutler and Mike Huff are in the two guys who most DolFans are dreaming about right now, but both may not be available. I think DT is a position where the team can be upgraded, but I don't think it's worth a 1st rd investment. After that how would you feel about McNeal in the 3rd?

CK -

Nice job on all the detail as to why. Personally I think Bunkley ranks higher over Watson, but DT is still DT.

as far as others:
You know I think Houston ends up with Ferguson in the end.

Also, even though someone has to fall down the boards every year, I will be shocked if its V. Davis.

all in all nice job -

I'd rather take Lawson in this mock, I think OLB is a bigger need with Seau probably gone, and we already have both youth and depth at DT(especially if Traylor comes back for a second tour of duty). I think we'll take a DL sometime in the second day.

Back
Top Bottom