Clarification on Ireland, FA and Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clarification on Ireland, FA and Draft

Hell, when the Dolphins were on Hard Knocks it seemed pretty apparent to me that, yes while J.Ireland has final say, rarely was any decision made without serious Input from the other coaches.

That's pretty much how I view it - all parties have input when deciding on making up the roster. We saw how they were discussing Clyde Gates on Hard Knocks and Ireland lost that battle. We also saw how they contemplated the Vontae Davis trade. I do think that Ireland takes ultimate responsibility for scouting college and NFL players though, whether he does that directly or delegates to scouts, he is responsible. Its look like Aponte had all the authority on contract negotiating and cap management, but she is under Ireland so he is responsible for that as well. One thing that is not clear however, is who decides what players we need. Did Philbin and Sherman feel comfortable with Clabo and Martin as the starting OTs? Or did Ireland just overlook the position? That we can only guess

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

It's because that person is in charge. And since 2008 -- by the explicit terms of his contract -- that person has been Jeff Ireland.

I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Ireland did not have final say in 2008.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ll-about-helping-ireland-and-sparano-survive/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3174839

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much how I view it - all parties have input when deciding on making up the roster. We saw how they were discussing Clyde Gates on Hard Knocks and Ireland lost that battle. We also saw how they contemplated the Vontae Davis trade. I do think that Ireland takes ultimate responsibility for scouting college and NFL players though, whether he does that directly or delegates to scouts, he is responsible. Its look like Aponte had all the authority on contract negotiating and cap management, but she is under Ireland so he is responsible for that as well. One thing that is not clear however, is who decides what players we need. Did Philbin and Sherman feel comfortable with Clabo and Martin as the starting OTs? Or did Ireland just overlook the position? That we can only guess

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Ireland did not have final say in 2008.

Semantics or not he was the GM. Hell even now does he have final say. Didnt Ross veto an Orton trade. Lets not act like he was just buying donuts while Parcells did all the player evalualtion and such.

Semantics or not he was the GM. Hell even now does he have final say. Didnt Ross veto an Orton trade. Lets not act like he was just buying donuts while Parcells did all the player evalualtion and such.

Nobody is acting like Ireland didn't do anything. The discussion was who was in charge at a specific time. Ireland did not have final say in 2008, or until Parcells left.

Nobody is acting like Ireland didn't do anything. The discussion was who was in charge at a specific time. Ireland did not have final say in 2008, or until Parcells left.

No offense but who cares. He was the GM who did the work on evalauating those players that were chosen. Parcells did not operate in a vaccuum with Ireland being a victim of his bad judgement.
He has been our GM for 5 years and if people want to act like his blame was minimal because there was a man that oversaw him fine but that doesnt make him some minor part of the failure of the past 5 years.

No offense but who cares.

I care who was responsible for drafting our players. Apparently many others do as well. If you don't care, well that's nice, but take your BS elsewhere.

I care who was responsible for drafting our players. Apparently many others do as well. If you don't care, well that's nice, but take your BS elsewhere.

So Ireland now was not responsible for drafting players really. What dream world are u in. You are the one spewing the BS that Ireland was not responsible for drafting players. PArcells vp and in charge ofall but just because Ireland had a boss does not mean he was not responsibl for who we drafted. I dont know of a GM in the NFL who is absolved of responsiblity for the draft except you absolving Ireland

We all as fans care who was responsible for drfting players its just some people want to act like the GM somehow plays a small role in that which is beyond silly and unrealistic

I wonder if people in Atlanta give no credit or blame to Dmitroff as GM since he has a boss named Rich MckAy

So Ireland now was not responsible for drafting players really. What dream world are u in. You are the one spewing the BS that Ireland was not responsible for drafting players.

Ok I'll repeat it again : Ireland had a part in personnel, but he did not have final say as Walrus suggested. Who makes the final decision on a draft pick does matter.

Now what part of that statement do you not understand?

Also love how u try to spin what I said. So dont have an actual arguement so of course what someone else says is BS . I plainly said who cares if Parcells was vice president, Ireland had his role as our GM but of course you try to spin it like I dont care who is responsible for drafts.
Wasnt what I implied in the least. You just want to believe that Ireland had a minor role as our GM in drafts and I very much doubt a GM has little to do with a team's draft.

^^^^How could the answer to that question not be: On Offense the OC and on Defense the DC with oversight from the HC and the "list" of potential fits brought to Ireland? Who would know or who should know better that those Coaches what type of player would make their units better?

I'll take it one step further with this question: Is our lack of consistent success right now more because of the people we brought in or lack of better Coaching/Preparation etc?

Could we be 5-1 right now(Mind you that means a win against Baltimore and the Bills) headed into New England if we had better Coaching/Preparation/Creativity on Offense?

I dont know of a GM in the NFL who is absolved of responsiblity for the draft except you absolving Ireland

There are plenty of GM's in the league who do not have final say on personnel.

And I didn't absolve Ireland of anything. My statement was an observation.

Ok I'll repeat it again: Ireland had a part in personnel, but he did not have final say as Walrus suggested. Who makes the final decision on a draft pick does matter.

Now what part of that statement do you not understand?

He was the damn GM so of course he played a huge part in who we drafted. You have no clue who chose each draft pick you just make an assumption. Parcells has said out of his own mouth how the drafts went but of course u choose to believe what makes you feel better. You have no proof either way but of course trying to attack me as slow makes you such a smart guy.

Also love how u try to spin what I said. So dont have an actual arguement so of course what someone else says is BS . I plainly said who cares if Parcells was vice president, Ireland had his role as our GM but of course you try to spin it like I dont care who is responsible for drafts.
Wasnt what I implied in the least. You just want to believe that Ireland had a minor role as our GM in drafts and I very much doubt a GM has little to do with a team's draft.

Well you did say "no offense but who cares". I'm not spinning anything buddy.

There are plenty of GM's in the league who do not have final say on personnel.

And I didn't absolve Ireland of anything. My statement was an observation.

He is the Gm what exactly do you think his job is? Do you think that Miami made picks totally off base from what the GM put all his hard work into. That makes zero sense but please continue to try to insult me when all Im trying to do is counter what your saying.
I just dont get why any team would hire a GM to not pick players based on his input. I have ever heard of any team just having a Gm for the sake of name.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Well you did say "no offense but who cares". I'm not spinning anything buddy.

Thats why I prefaced it. Who cares that Parcells was vice president, a GM still does the job of a GM. Does anybody think Dmitroff is a lesser gm because he works for Rich McKay

I dont recall saying I dont care who determines our draft picks , you are the one acting like Parcells did all of the work choosing players that Ireland was not on board with. I mean who do you think did the work and compiled the info on the players

Please try to act like another person is slow to make your baseless argument seem better to yourself. He was the damn GM so of course he played a huge part in who we drafted. You have no clue who chose each draft pick you just make an assumption. Parcells has said out of his own mouth how the drafts went but of course u choose to believe what makes you feel better. You have no proof either way but of course trying to attack me as slow makes you such a smart guy.

Walrus said that Ireland was in full control since 2008, and his contract gave him "final say" since 2008. I provided a link that shows he did not have "final say" since 2008. That is all. He says he has final say, I say he doesn't. That's really all that's going on here but you are making it out to be something else.

Back
Top Bottom