Clarification on Ireland, FA and Draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clarification on Ireland, FA and Draft

It's embarrassing to see....

I have no problem missing on 6th and 7th round picks....those are a crap shoot anyways, but in the 2nd and 3rd round is where the GM earns his money....if he's not around 40 - 50% on those picks...he's not doing his job...could you imagine this roster is he hit on 6 or 7 of those picks...

Since the 08 draft....these are the 2nd and 3rd round picks (also the picks you use to build a winning franchise)...

Merling Lost in the shuffling we just got too many good guys to give him a chance to develop.
Henne Still a starter somewhere. Not gonna win you anything but he could have been much worse.
Langford Nothing to complain about here he left just because we got even better guys and got paid big somewhere else
White Epic bust
Smith Not that bad
Turner Epic bust
Misi Not that bad
Jerry Started for a long time but never really played well at all
Thomas Could have had better later
Vernon Not that bad
Egnew Jury still out IMO
Martin Looking like a bust
Taylor Jury still out
Davis Jury still out but I wouldn't have picked him or a corner at all let alone trade up to get him
Dallas Thomas Jury still out

That is an awful list of players...

IDK if you noticed but we have a very large number of players picked by ourselves starting or who did at some point and even our 7ths contributing. We are experiencing a lot of turnover due to the scheme changes but until we give this Ireland/Philbin/Sherman/Coyle project a real shot (better than 7-9 this season, playoffs next, conference championship game in 2015 failure to achieve any of that barring major injury problems would warrant cleaning house) we can't objectively evaluate Ireland. The Sparano years whether with BP (2008-2009) good (2010-2011 in terms of personnel moves) or bad (2009 and result wise all but 2008) have to be banished from Ireland's record simply because we will never know what would have been of a 2012 with an HC (Fisher/Fox/McCoy/Billick/Chin any of the names being shuffled back then) that didn't require all the personnel moves the scheme changes forced us to make.

in all fairness greg jennings isn't doing much...at least wallace is younger and has more shelf life...i say that knowing full well that it was jennings that i wanted over wallace this last offseason...but i also know that jennings wouldn't be opening things up for clay especially like wallace has

Look who he has throwing him the ball for crying out loud. Chris Givens is an excellent receiver, too, yet he hasn't done anything all year because Sam Bradford is/was Sam Bradford. Same with Dwayne Bowe.

I'm sure Wallace "opens things up" -- in fact you can see it on the all 22 look at times -- but the plan still relies on Hartline and/or Gibson beating man to man coverage, which they don't do consistently. They're okay players, but not man to man beaters. The offensive line struggles is also going to allow teams to creep up more on their coverages. Can't throw it to Wallace deep if you don't have time.

Jennings also would have not allowed Ireland to feel safe and pass on the position again in the draft. Like I said at the time, he just thought everyone needed a demotion. Wrong.

Look who he has throwing him the ball for crying out loud. Chris Givens is an excellent receiver, too, yet he hasn't done anything all year because Sam Bradford is/was Sam Bradford. Same with Dwayne Bowe.

I'm sure Wallace "opens things up" -- in fact you can see it on the all 22 look at times -- but the plan still relies on Hartline and/or Gibson beating man to man coverage, which they don't do consistently. They're okay players, but not man to man beaters. The offensive line struggles is also going to allow teams to creep up more on their coverages. Can't throw it to Wallace deep if you don't have time.

Jennings also would have not allowed Ireland to feel safe and pass on the position again in the draft. Like I said at the time, he just thought everyone needed a demotion. Wrong.

fair points...i get that the viking qbs blow but i don't see the burst with jennings he used to have either...definitely looks like he's lost a half step to me...

of course his qbs running him into hard contact isn't gonna help things...

i don't necessarily agree with gibby isn't a man coverage beater in the slot though...

bradford was playing pretty good ball by the way before he got hurt...if anyone has better vertical placement and accuracy i haven't seen it...but the guy stays hurt

Riddle me this:

Is New England 5-1 right now because they are that much more talented than most team in the league(Pointing to the GM)?

OR

Is New England 5-1 because they are just better than most teams at maximizing the talent that they do have?(Pointing to the Coaches)

If we swapped rosters(Granted T.Brady is the outlier) what are the mutual teams records?

must be a trick question. New England is 5-2. lol

It's embarrassing to see....

I have no problem missing on 6th and 7th round picks....those are a crap shoot anyways, but in the 2nd and 3rd round is where the GM earns his money....if he's not around 40 - 50% on those picks...he's not doing his job...could you imagine this roster is he hit on 6 or 7 of those picks...

your 2nd and 3rd round picks are suppose to be what you build your roster with...that doesn't happen around here...after this last day two draft i started a scoops called day 2 disaster...we might as well just trade em we are so bad at it

Thanks I appreciate that. You seem like a reasonable guy so my question is how is Ireland supposed to get a replacement for Clabo 6 weeks into the season. There aren't many FA that are worth a look the other option is trading but most fans are against it.Yes we may bench him and start a different RT maybe Garner or Yeatman but then that is on the Coaches not Ireland.

Does a trade for Albert on draft day sound familiar to you? We should have done that (He is playing OUTSTANDING) and still should have been able to draft 2 solid CB's. But we didn't and drafted Dallas Thomas?????? Now we let Bush go but.... didn't take a risk with Lattimore? Then 70% of this forum were VERY concerned about the OL... guess what... It SUCKS!!!. Letting Jake Long go was the right thing, but bringing Clabo, and trusting Jerry and Martin was a big mistake.

a second round pick and a huge wage for albert would have been just as dumb as anything else we did on the o line this year... well not as dumb as feanking for mckinnie

Parcells left the Patriots after disagreements with owner Robert Kraft; Parcells felt he did not have enough input in player personnel decisions. Upon his departure, Parcells famously stated: "They want you to cook the dinner; at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries. Okay?" This was mainly in reference to an incident in the Patriots' war room during the 1996 Draft where Parcells, who wanted to draft a defensive player with their first-round choice, was vetoed by Kraft, and the Patriots selected Ohio State WR Terry Glenn

Its an interesting quote, does it make it more likely he let the guys doing the cooking shop for the groceries, or less?

Its an interesting quote, does it make it more likely he let the guys doing the cooking shop for the groceries, or less?

Not really because he was speaking from a perspective as the coach. Ross has supposedly stepped in on Orton trade. If an owner wants to get involved he will.

Back
Top Bottom