Clark lacks Coverage Skills!!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clark lacks Coverage Skills!!!!

Asicswrg85

Active Roster
Reaction score
Here is a bunch of quotes from difference sources that I have compiled about Ryan Clark from Steeler fans. What do they all have in common? They all talk about how he has lacking coverage skills, (aka Wilson #2). Do we really want another safety that's a liability in coverage?

"I’ve been a Ryan Clark fan because he lays people out and is a great character guy. However, at 30 and aging…..his coverage skills are weak and Troy covered them up. And he doesn’t have ball hawking skills! He focuses on the hit rather than the ball. Not worth the money he wants. Go get a free agent on the cheap or draft one in the first round"

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/3/7/1361766/ryan-clark-visits-dolphins-i-hope

"I doubt it was the combine, it was probably falling before that. A lot of people see him as Roy Williams part II. He just has no coverage skills, his best bet would be either as a MLB in a pure cover 2, and who runs that anymore, or as a big safety in a team committed to running a 3-3-5 on more than just five and long, which is like no NFL team. At this point he just doesn’t look like he’s going to play every down in any scheme. And why would you use a top pick on a player who’s not going to play every down."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/3/2/1332920/ryan-clark-in-his-own-words-i-want

"Yes, he can hit, and I've always liked him. Coverage-wise, I agree with jiminator that Ike Taylor had a worse season than Clark, but it wasn't Clark's best year either. Polamalu's absence spotlighted a lot of holes in the defensive backfield. The problem is that Clark is asking for superstar money and he's not a superstar. Even coming off his best season, he wants more than he's worth--and he's not coming off his best season It's a matter of cost v. benefit; there's no real benefit to keeping him at that price."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/ryan-clark-still-waiting-for-an-offer/

Now before you get too excited about us signing Clark realize that he has the potential to be a liability in coverage. Now he is an upgrade over what we currently have but he is not the final solution. This defense was one of the worst in pass coverage last year and we thus need players who can cover the pass, thats most important. Remember how the Steeler's defense played when Troy went down last year? They were not nearly as good and that shows how must their secondary relies on him. Clark is good, but he is not a permanent solution unless he gets better in coverage!

The numbers don't exactly show that he's terrible in coverage though either. If nothing else he's a good upgrade over Wilson and will at least be in the right area of the field more often than not. He did a lot more last year than Wilson did, just the hits alone... I was saying it all last season but when is the last time we've seen a player come over the middle and got hit right away by someone on our defense? It seems like they catch these passes and always have a few yards to run At Least. Clark at least seems to be around the ball and make a stop as soon as the ball is caught and that alone would be a HUGE upgrade over what we've had. We probably win at least 2 or 3 more games last season if we had a Safety smacking people in the mouth after catching the ball instead of looking like they wanted to play hide and seek or patty cake.

Im not saying they are not right.
But I could get quotes about any Dolphin player from this site to make them seem like trash.

Im not saying they are not right.
But I could get quotes about any Dolphin player from this site to make them seem like trash.

Oh so true... Even Jake Long you could dig up some things to make him look like a bad player.

So a bunch of message board opinions from fans vs a front office who studies tape and has a clear idea of what they're looking for........

Sure everyone makes mistakes but you never side with the fans on a topic like this.

So a bunch of message board opinions from fans vs a front office who studies tape and has a clear idea of what they're looking for........

Sure everyone makes mistakes but you never side with the fans on a topic like this.

Unless the person making the decisions is Dave Wannstedt.

Remember, Renaldo Hill looked good in Miami and he is basically what Clark is in pass coverage. Clark is Hill with the viscious hitting that Hill lacked. Which is basically what the FO was looking for in Wilson, but didn't find.

Also, he QB'ed a defense that won the Super Bowl and dominated for many years. Jeff Ireland himself stated that all of what was blamed on Wilson was not his fault, a lot of it was two rookie corners. So this may mean that they want a player that is not necessarily a CB type of pass covering guy, but a serviceable guy that can read defenses and lay the pipe. Which Wilson was supposed to be and bombed and Clark looks the part of. Maybe without 2 rookie CBs anymore a Hill with viscious hitting is the answer?

Dont we play Denver on the road this year as well?

no we don't play denver, we play oakland

and no hes not terrible at coverage

sheesh

why don't you look up his stats instead of going off of peoples opinions

fans opinions are made without realizing what kind of coverage was on the play,etc.

just an FYI, that 2nd quote has to be about Taylor Mays, not Ryan Clark, just doesn't make any sense to be for Clark...

so basically the first quote is saying his coverage skills suck... the 3rd one is saying Clark was better than Ike Taylor, eventhough this wasn't Clark's best year coverage wise...

It's ok. Clark's surely a better tackler and if he is better in coverage, which i am assuming he is, then it's win win. Sounds like the guy WANTS to be in Miami so that helps also. Maybe Dansby's coverage skills (and height) will somehow balance out those of Clark, allowing him to play deeper coverage from the snap of the ball. Heck i don't know, but i think it would be an interesting pick up.
Maybe Clemons will be stalking the defensive backfield mostly during passing downs, and Clark primarily on rushing downs.

Back
Top Bottom