Clark lacks Coverage Skills!!!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clark lacks Coverage Skills!!!!

:facepalm: Boy, you just can't please anyone now a days can you? Ryan Clark will be a HUGE upgrade over Wilson. He will tackle for days and will snag an occasional interception....both things Wilson couldn't bring to the table. As far as Parcells, a senile guy doesn't make a big splash by bringing in Dansby, arguably one of the best ILB around. You want to talk senile, look at the Raiders owner.

How many teams wanted the great dansby? 2? 3?If you have the chance to draft a guy with potential to be great you dont sign a 30 year old average or above average player like clark

So a bunch of message board opinions from fans vs a front office who studies tape and has a clear idea of what they're looking for........

Sure everyone makes mistakes but you never side with the fans on a topic like this.
our front office picked wilson last year didnt they? His coverage skills or lack their of were well documented...

When Miami was looking at Rolle on Friday, the guy on WQAM(Big O I believe) was going on and on about how they should drop out of the Rolle race and sign Clark. He kept saying Rolle did not impress him much, but that Clark was the real deal.

How many teams wanted the great dansby? 2? 3?If you have the chance to draft a guy with potential to be great you dont sign a 30 year old average or above average player like clark
Are you seriously bashing the Dansby signing? The best linebacker on the market and the second best overall player out there? Come on now, I know Dolphin fans(like WV) love to bash the moves this team makes no matter what they are, but I can't believe you would actually think the Dansby signing was bad. lol.

Keyword: POTENTIAL. You don't know, for the most part, whether a drafted player will be great until 2-4 years down the road. While Clark may not be the greatest free safety around, he's miles better than what we had with Wilson. He's a hitter plain and simple and he's not going to get burned for a long play. Sure we would've have liked to sign Rolle or Atogwe, but those guys are going to demand HUGE money. Atogwe is a time bomb waiting to happen...you KNOW the Rams are going to match any offer. Besides, if Clark is so "average" as you say, why did the Steelers keep him around for so long???

Here is a bunch of quotes from difference sources that I have compiled about Ryan Clark from Steeler fans. What do they all have in common? They all talk about how he has lacking coverage skills, (aka Wilson #2). Do we really want another safety that's a liability in coverage?

"I’ve been a Ryan Clark fan because he lays people out and is a great character guy. However, at 30 and aging…..his coverage skills are weak and Troy covered them up. And he doesn’t have ball hawking skills! He focuses on the hit rather than the ball. Not worth the money he wants. Go get a free agent on the cheap or draft one in the first round"

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/3/7/1361766/ryan-clark-visits-dolphins-i-hope

"I doubt it was the combine, it was probably falling before that. A lot of people see him as Roy Williams part II. He just has no coverage skills, his best bet would be either as a MLB in a pure cover 2, and who runs that anymore, or as a big safety in a team committed to running a 3-3-5 on more than just five and long, which is like no NFL team. At this point he just doesn’t look like he’s going to play every down in any scheme. And why would you use a top pick on a player who’s not going to play every down."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/3/2/1332920/ryan-clark-in-his-own-words-i-want

"Yes, he can hit, and I've always liked him. Coverage-wise, I agree with jiminator that Ike Taylor had a worse season than Clark, but it wasn't Clark's best year either. Polamalu's absence spotlighted a lot of holes in the defensive backfield. The problem is that Clark is asking for superstar money and he's not a superstar. Even coming off his best season, he wants more than he's worth--and he's not coming off his best season It's a matter of cost v. benefit; there's no real benefit to keeping him at that price."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/ryan-clark-still-waiting-for-an-offer/

Now before you get too excited about us signing Clark realize that he has the potential to be a liability in coverage. Now he is an upgrade over what we currently have but he is not the final solution. This defense was one of the worst in pass coverage last year and we thus need players who can cover the pass, thats most important. Remember how the Steeler's defense played when Troy went down last year? They were not nearly as good and that shows how must their secondary relies on him. Clark is good, but he is not a permanent solution unless he gets better in coverage!

Last season Clark allowed 10 receptions on 26 passes thrown his way for a 38.5 % completion ratio which is 2nd BEST in the NFL WITH SAFETIES WITH 900+ SNAPS

With players with over 900 defensive snaps Clark was BEST in the NFL WITH the least amount of passes completed with 10.

With players with over 900 defensive snaps Clark was 3rd BEST in the NFL in QB rating against with a 36.2 rating

With players with over 900 defensive snaps
Clark was 3rd BEST in the NFL only allowing 180 yards

Lets compare his coverage skills to Bell our own pro bowl safety

Defensive snaps
Bell...966
Clark..968...almost exact number of plays

Completed Passes allowed
Bell...33 passes allowed
Clark..10 passes allowed
Clark BEST by a landslide

Completion % allowed
Bell...54.1 % passes completed against
Clark..38.5 % passes completed against
Clark BEST by a landslide

Yards allowed
Bell...409 passing yards allowed
Clark.180 passing yards allowed
Clark BEST by a huge landslide

Yards after the catch allowed
Bell..191 yac
Clark.15 yac
Clark BEST by absurd margin

QB rating against
Bell...65.5
Clark.38.5
Clark BEST again and again

Last season with Troy injuried Clark stepped up and proved he is very good in coverage to the point of top 3 in the NFL in many categories.

It's just amazing after the year Clark had last season that you can call him poor in coverage...using that same thought then 99% OF SAFETIES LAST SEASON WERE POORER IN COVERAGE

Are you seriously bashing the Dansby signing? The best linebacker on the market and the second best overall player out there? Come on now, I know Dolphin fans(like WV) love to bash the moves this team makes no matter what they are, but I can't believe you would actually think the Dansby signing was bad. lol.

Not saying its bad but its true that not many teams were interested and there are really good LBs in the upcoming draft.Wouldnt you prefer a guy like earl thomas etc at safety with the potential to be really good or even great?Why arent the steelers trying to keep him?I am tired of having a crappy secondary and hes not 23 but 30.

Here is a bunch of quotes from difference sources that I have compiled about Ryan Clark from Steeler fans. What do they all have in common? They all talk about how he has lacking coverage skills, (aka Wilson #2). Do we really want another safety that's a liability in coverage?

"I’ve been a Ryan Clark fan because he lays people out and is a great character guy. However, at 30 and aging…..his coverage skills are weak and Troy covered them up. And he doesn’t have ball hawking skills! He focuses on the hit rather than the ball. Not worth the money he wants. Go get a free agent on the cheap or draft one in the first round"

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/3/7/1361766/ryan-clark-visits-dolphins-i-hope

"I doubt it was the combine, it was probably falling before that. A lot of people see him as Roy Williams part II. He just has no coverage skills, his best bet would be either as a MLB in a pure cover 2, and who runs that anymore, or as a big safety in a team committed to running a 3-3-5 on more than just five and long, which is like no NFL team. At this point he just doesn’t look like he’s going to play every down in any scheme. And why would you use a top pick on a player who’s not going to play every down."

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2010/3/2/1332920/ryan-clark-in-his-own-words-i-want

"Yes, he can hit, and I've always liked him. Coverage-wise, I agree with jiminator that Ike Taylor had a worse season than Clark, but it wasn't Clark's best year either. Polamalu's absence spotlighted a lot of holes in the defensive backfield. The problem is that Clark is asking for superstar money and he's not a superstar. Even coming off his best season, he wants more than he's worth--and he's not coming off his best season It's a matter of cost v. benefit; there's no real benefit to keeping him at that price."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/ryan-clark-still-waiting-for-an-offer/

Now before you get too excited about us signing Clark realize that he has the potential to be a liability in coverage. Now he is an upgrade over what we currently have but he is not the final solution. This defense was one of the worst in pass coverage last year and we thus need players who can cover the pass, thats most important. Remember how the Steeler's defense played when Troy went down last year? They were not nearly as good and that shows how must their secondary relies on him. Clark is good, but he is not a permanent solution unless he gets better in coverage!

He's still an upgrade... and should cost us less that Gibril.

edgarthompson Darren Sharper only S in '09 better vs. pass (min 20 attempts) than Ryan Clark, 26 pass, 10 comps, Sharper 36 and 13 ... http://is.gd/9Y2Ec

edgarthompson Gibril Wilson gave up 18 catches on 31 passes, 94.7 passer rating against him, 36.2 vs. Clark ... http://is.gd/9Y2Ec

You know do the research. Steeler wanted to resign the guy and alot of NFL Insider prefer this guy over Rolle. To keep hearing Clark is another Wilson is ridiculous

Not saying its bad but its true that not many teams were interested and there are really good LBs in the upcoming draft.Wouldnt you prefer a guy like earl thomas etc at safety with the potential to be really good or even great?Why arent the steelers trying to keep him?I am tired of having a crappy secondary and hes not 23 but 30.

Every post that you've made in this thread is ridiculous. You are so negative that i'm saddened to call you a Dolfan, Ryan Clark started on a SB winning team and played damn good last year. He is an unbelievable upgrade from Wilson, and would make an immediate impact on our secondary. I can't believe you are bitching about upgrading a position and even bashing the Dansby signing. You're unbelievable.

P.S Pitt tried to hold on to Clark, research the topic.

So we're using message board opinions as sources? Haven't I seen message board opinions on here saying Jake Long is overrated? That Ted Ginn is a great KR? Clark is good in coverage. Not great, but good. HEads and shoulders as an upgrade over Wilson.

Keyword: POTENTIAL. Yeah McClain could become the Next Lewis or the next Eddie Morre. Ill take proven over potential for such a important position.

Clark is not just a big hitter. He can cover and also the guy who thinks he is just another bum who cant, get a life and prove it to me. Look up the facts of how many passes were throwin to him and how many were caught and what is the YPC then come talk to me who cant cover...

Back
Top Bottom