CNNSI: Flynn Ready to Lead Franchise | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CNNSI: Flynn Ready to Lead Franchise

I see the most recent, in the long lineage of impressive LSU QBs, Jordan Jeffries, has declared for the draft. It'll be interesting to see if he's drafted at all, and if so, where he goes compared to Flynn's 7th round as a barometer of league consensus.
dont worry, down the line he may have one fluky game like flynn, and people will be all over him wanting him to be our next qb. just wait for it 4-5 years down the line.

Some of you need to realize that not all top end players, to include QBs, are first round picks. It is a given that the percentages are higher that you will find a franchise type QB early in the draft but that doesn't mean you won't find one late. It's rare but does happen. There is a lot to be said for his moving up to the back up spot and performing very well in both starts he had, not to mention the fact that he was groomed under the best QB in the game today and by coaches who groom QBs. Let's not forget we have an HC and OC who ave proven to be good with QBs.

I think some fans grasp for straws in downplaying a QB who is not "their guy" instead of trusting their eyes to make a fair assessment. Truth is that none of us know for sure if Flynn, RGIII or Tannehill is going to be successful but for me, Flynn doesn't cost us draft picks, is ready to start tomorrow and is the best option.

Some of you need to realize that not all top end players, to include QBs, are first round picks. It is a given that the percentages are higher that you will find a franchise type QB early in the draft but that doesn't mean you won't find one late. It's rare but does happen. There is a lot to be said for his moving up to the back up spot and performing very well in both starts he had, not to mention the fact that he was groomed under the best QB in the game today and by coaches who groom QBs. Let's not forget we have an HC and OC who ave proven to be good with QBs.

I think some fans grasp for straws in downplaying a QB who is not "their guy" instead of trusting their eyes to make a fair assessment. Truth is that none of us know for sure if Flynn, RGIII or Tannehill is going to be successful but for me, Flynn doesn't cost us draft picks, is ready to start tomorrow and is the best option.
based on what is he ready to start tomorrow?

he has only started 2 games in his career like u mentioned, both not exactly the best defensive backfields in the nfl, and he has never started consecutive games in his career.

starting qbs are made based on consistency, he has not had a consistent career so far. he has played in 3 games so far for the majority of them.

in 2010 vs the lions, he stunk it up, then the pats the following week, he played solid, but they lost both of those games, and now week 17 in a totally meaningless game with no pressure for him he had a great game.

maybe he will, maybe he wont be a good starter in the nfl, but im sorry, i just dont see based on his small sample size, where he has already shown he can start tomorrow in the nfl.

based on what is he ready to start tomorrow?

he has only started 2 games in his career like u mentioned, both not exactly the best defensive backfields in the nfl, and he has never started consecutive games in his career.

starting qbs are made based on consistency, he has not had a consistent career so far. he has played in 3 games so far for the majority of them.

in 2010 vs the lions, he stunk it up, then the pats the following week, he played solid, but they lost both of those games, and now week 17 in a totally meaningless game with no pressure for him he had a great game.

maybe he will, maybe he wont be a good starter in the nfl, but im sorry, i just dont see based on his small sample size, where he has already shown he can start tomorrow in the nfl.
We have seen him start twice, both games he played very well, both games he had a week to prepare with the first team offense. Trying to get a feel for a guy coming off the bench cold is pointless.

As for the "meaningless" game against Detroit, tell that to the Lions who were playing to avoid going to New Orleans.

So who is more ready to start tomorrow then Flynn?

While I think Flynn seems to have decent skills and he very well could be a franchise QB for us, you have to admit the Kolb experiment (and others in the past - Mitchell, etc) has to play in the back of your mind somewhere. It's a risk, just like going with Manning would be risk in a different way. Just like drafting someone in the first round would be a risk. What makes me feel better about Flynn is that our HC knows him pretty well and is the best to judge if he truly has the skills or if he had a couple lucky games.

i don't see any reason flynns not ready to start especially if its in a system he's familiar to in green bay with philbin here...makes sense to me...but again if flynn does in fact come here go ahead and mark it in stone come week 1 barring injury matt flynn is your starting qb

don't like it ok but you better get ready for it

I think Flynn is the best option...he and Philbin have already worked together, and there just is too much risk that P. Manning will never fully recover, or be more than maybe 75% of what he was. I would still like to see P. Manning throw the ball in March when or if he becomes a free agent, but Flynn is around 26 and there are no health concerns.

We have seen him start twice, both games he played very well, both games he had a week to prepare with the first team offense. Trying to get a feel for a guy coming off the bench cold is pointless.

As for the "meaningless" game against Detroit, tell that to the Lions who were playing to avoid going to New Orleans.

So who is more ready to start tomorrow then Flynn?
out of all the free agent qbs, maybe he is, but that does not say much because franchise qbs do not hit the open market usually, barring some major injury or so. i just dont see matt flynn as an upgrade to moore, and moore is already signed, has a lot more playing experience under his belt, and if its between moore or flynn, id rather go moore, and honestly that does not really say much, but if i had to pick between the 2.

i want someone to come in and compete for the job, moore should not just be handed the job, but flynn shouldnt either. However with flynn if he comes here, that means he is the opening day starter no matter what, which i dont like, but then again i am not making the decision as no one here is, and whatever happens will happen whether we like it or not unfortunately.

Hasselback (on ESPN) just said that Flynn to the Dolphins with Joe Philbin's system makes the most sense to him...as far as where Flynn will end up. :up:

Hasselbeck should know, he went through essentially the same thing lol.

Anyway some real interesting quotes in there. It's good to note who Jeff Diamond is because he's a very well connected guy and when he says he's got opinions on Matt Flynn from coaches and GMs, he's not BS'ing.

I think Flynn is probably the way to go. Just seems like a lot of things coming together for that outcome.

I liked reading Matt's quotes though about his college days, etc.

I have been a Philbin/Flynn supporter all along, half the deal is sealed. How can you not like the guy:

If he's fortunate enough to hit the jackpot financially in free agency and take the giant leap from his $600,000 salary of last year, Flynn says "it wouldn't change my world much. I'm a pretty simple person. You'll still catch me on a lake fishing or on a golf course in my free time."

I'd be the same way regardless of the amount of money I was worth.

out of all the free agent qbs, maybe he is, but that does not say much because franchise qbs do not hit the open market usually, barring some major injury or so. i just dont see matt flynn as an upgrade to moore, and moore is already signed, has a lot more playing experience under his belt, and if its between moore or flynn, id rather go moore, and honestly that does not really say much, but if i had to pick between the 2.

i want someone to come in and compete for the job, moore should not just be handed the job, but flynn shouldnt either. However with flynn if he comes here, that means he is the opening day starter no matter what, which i dont like, but then again i am not making the decision as no one here is, and whatever happens will happen whether we like it or not unfortunately.

they already have arod though... maybe flynn isn't top 5 but he could be top half.. if their talent levels are that close (moore and flynn) don't you think philbin would want to go with a guy who knows his offense already?

I disagree, yes Flynn has only started 2 games, and true, niether had exactly the greatest defense against the pass, but in both those games, Flynn did what you would expect a quality QB to do, he torched both of those teams. Moore showed he can be a quality QB, but in all his starts against good/bad defense, he never looked as overpowering, accurate, and in control, as Flynn did in those 2 games.

Flynn may not be a slam dunk to be the franchise QB we have been waiting for so long, but does give all the signs that if his former OC goes after him, there may be something there, and will be an upgrade....maybe a huge upgrade.

they already have arod though... maybe flynn isn't top 5 but he could be top half.. if their talent levels are that close (moore and flynn) don't you think philbin would want to go with a guy who knows his offense already?
but thats my point.

say their talent levels are pretty much =, why pay someone a lot more money to not really upgrade the position, as opposed to the guy we have for dirt cheap if they are both pretty =?

obviously if flynn was proven to be a much better qb, then of course you do it, but if hes not really that much of an upgrade if any upgrade at all, then whats the point?

as for the system stuff, im sure moore can learn the system in training camp if need be. remember, philbin does not have the same players as he did in green bay, so who knows how much of the same system it will be?

Back
Top Bottom