CNNSI: Flynn Ready to Lead Franchise | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CNNSI: Flynn Ready to Lead Franchise

I disagree, yes Flynn has only started 3 games, and true, niether had exactly the greatest defense against the pass, but in both those games, Flynn did what you would expect a quality QB to do, he torched both of those teams. Moore showed he can be a quality QB, but in all his starts against good/bad defense, he never looked as overpowering, accurate, and in control, as Flynn did in those 2 games.

Flynn may not be a slam dunk to be the franchise QB we have been waiting for so long, but does give all the signs that if his former OC goes after him, there may be something there, and will be an upgrade....maybe a huge upgrade.
how exactly did he tourch the patriots last season in that start?

you can make a case that flynn and moores starts vs the pats ( flynn 2010 and moore 2011) were very similar.

each threw 3 tds, 1 int, Moore threw a costly int, flynn got sacked 5 times and on the last play of the game i believe also got sacked when they could have had a shot at the end zone, both teams lost.

i wouldn't say he touched the pats exactly. solid game? yes. torched? not quite.

I would rather Flynn sign and compete for the starting job. He has to prove that he is the better QB.
If he is going to be paid starters money in a lucrative contract, he has to play well. We do not need extra high priced back up's.
I will trust Philbin to make the call.

Well it is truly fortunate that we have one of the 2 guys who know Flynn best. Otherwise a 7th round pick from a program that graced the NFL with Rohan Davey, JaMarcus Russell and the present roster of QB bozos doesn't really instill confidence in the wisdom of signing a 1&1/2 game wonder. If we signed him without having Philbin being in the mix, my head would likely explode!

you can make a case that flynn and moores starts vs the pats ( flynn 2010 and moore 2011) were very similar.

each threw 3 tds, 1 int, Moore threw a costly int, flynn got sacked 5 times and on the last play of the game i believe also got sacked when they could have had a shot at the end zone, both teams lost.

i wouldn't say he touched the pats exactly. solid game? yes. torched? not quite.

I agree with you man but you have to take into consideration that game was Matt Flynn's first start.

In his 2nd start he broke a franchise record, a franchise record with some pretty decent QB's like Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Bart Starr, not bad I guess. Hard to ignore that. Guess we'll see if Philbin thinks he's the real deal or not

The Patriots were a very different defense in 2011 as opposed to 2010. They were a much poorer defense by the time Moore played them.

but thats my point.

say their talent levels are pretty much =, why pay someone a lot more money to not really upgrade the position, as opposed to the guy we have for dirt cheap if they are both pretty =?

obviously if flynn was proven to be a much better qb, then of course you do it, but if hes not really that much of an upgrade if any upgrade at all, then whats the point?

as for the system stuff, im sure moore can learn the system in training camp if need be. remember, philbin does not have the same players as he did in green bay, so who knows how much of the same system it will be?

That's the thing, their talents are not "pretty much =". Matt Flynn is much more talented than Matt Moore.

That's the thing, their talents are not "pretty much =". Matt Flynn is much more talented than Matt Moore.
based on what exactly?

im not saying moore is extremely talented by any means, but when ive watched flynn play, i have not exactly been in awe of him.

if flynns as talented and great as everyone is making him out to be, then why is it that despite over the past few years plenty of teams,including our dolphins needing a qb have not tried to acquire flynn?

im sure any of these teams that were desperate for a qb over the past few years easily could have gotten flynn for a 4th-5th rounder if even that high, yet no one tried. i highly doubt it was because he was untradeable

I'm "In for Flynn". Sign him, one or two more free agents, and POSSIBLY trade down in round one for more players including a rookie QB(unless Devlin can be counted on for the third QB).

OL, DL, S, TE, LB top five picks for Miami in April, IMO.

Concur. Add the above, a speed WR, and a RB type between Bush and Thomas via FA or the draft.

I agree that if we sign Flynn, I would trade down to fill more needs. Signing Flynn would eat much of our cap space.

I just watched the highlights of that GB/Detroit game. Some nice throws, but a whole lot of yards after the catch, and this could easily have been a 2 or 3 TD game, not 6. The 1st TD I saw was Ryan Grant taking a dump off screen 80 yards. Donald Driver turned a relatively short pass into a TD. The Lions secondary looked crappy and allowed what should have been nice completions turn into touchdowns. 4 yard TD pass to Finley, nothing special.

i'd like to watch this whole game- nice deep pass to James Jones, nice TD pass to Jordy Nelson. But was I blown away by Matt Flynn? No. Was I really, really impreseed? No. This strikes me as a similar situation to last year- if getting Kyle Orton is going to cost a ton of money (and a high draft pick in that case) and it's a lateral move as per Chad Henne, is it worth it? No, as Stephen Ross said directly.

I don't see anything terribly special about Matt Flynn, and I'm not sure that he's any better than Matt Moore. I sure as hell would rather draft Brandon Weeden than sign Flynn. In the absence of Weeden I'm not against signing Flynn- what I am against is signing him to huge money that could be spent elsewhere and having him be handed the starting job. From what I've seen, Matt Moore deserves it more than Flynn does.

Could an SEC guy out there or specifically an LSU guy answer me this: why was Matt Flynn, after a great high school career and leading LSU to a national championship, drafted in the 7th round? What were his implied flaws and weaknesses? Many as I recall viewed him as free agent material out of college. Was it that he rode the bench behind Jamarcus Russell for so long? It must have been something- and personally I'm sure as hell not blown away by Flynn's arm. I'm guessing that CNNSI wrote a nice piece on AJ Feeley as well after the trade, pimping him and his bright future in Miami- it's a nice feel good story, same as Flynn. If Flynn comes to Miami I hope that he does great- I just don't see throwing big money at this guy with 2 games under his belt and a so-so arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHjJ2lipORQ

1. David DeCastro

2. Brandon Weeden

3. Joe Adams

based on what exactly?

Good question. I base my opinions on watching them play football.

im not saying moore is extremely talented by any means, but when ive watched flynn play, i have not exactly been in awe of him.

if flynns as talented and great as everyone is making him out to be, then why is it that despite over the past few years plenty of teams,including our dolphins needing a qb have not tried to acquire flynn?

im sure any of these teams that were desperate for a qb over the past few years easily could have gotten flynn for a 4th-5th rounder if even that high, yet no one tried. i highly doubt it was because he was untradeable

The Packers set a high price tag for him in the off season and it didn't make sense to pay a high price tag for a guy that people had only seen for like 1.5 regular season games. None of the Packers' coaches had defected after their Super Bowl win. There was no Head Coach out there like Joe Philbin that had seen Flynn practice every day and therefore knew a lot more about him than just the 1.5 regular season games' worth. Also there were a LOT of quarterbacks available last year between Kevin Kolb, Kyle Orton, Carson Palmer, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Mallett. Supply outstripped demand.

really? pats pass defense in 2010 was ranked 31st.

not saying moore faced a great pats d, but lets not pretend flynn did

The Patriots scoring D (the only D that really counts if you ask coaches) was ranked 8th in the NFL at 19.6 points per game, and they scored an additional 2.2 points per game on defense via turnovers. In 2011 they ranked 15th at 21.4 points per game and scored only an additional 1.1 points per game off turnovers. That's a 3 point per game differential in net scoring D. That's a big difference.

Also the Patriots' pass D allowed QBs an 81 passer rating in 2010. In 2011 they allowed an 86 passer rating. That's also a big differential.

Good question. I base my opinions on watching them play football.

The Packers set a high price tag for him in the off season and it didn't make sense to pay a high price tag for a guy that people had only seen for like 1.5 regular season games. None of the Packers' coaches had defected after their Super Bowl win. There was no Head Coach out there like Joe Philbin that had seen Flynn practice every day and therefore knew a lot more about him than just the 1.5 regular season games' worth. Also there were a LOT of quarterbacks available last year between Kevin Kolb, Kyle Orton, Carson Palmer, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick and Ryan Mallett. Supply outstripped demand.
as do i, and when i watch matt flynn play, i dont see a qb who is worth 7-10 mill a year and being handed without competition a starting job.

just my opinion though, if people see differently, then thats ok, everyone is entitled to an opinion. i just dont see whats so special about him.

as you said, you base your opinions on watching them play, so by that, you should have seen that despite that fantastic numbers vs det, he didnt look as dominating as those numbers perceived him to be.

as do i, and when i watch matt flynn play, i dont see a qb who is worth 7-10 mill a year and being handed without competition a starting job.

just my opinion though, if people see differently, then thats ok, everyone is entitled to an opinion. i just dont see whats so special about him.

as you said, you base your opinions on watching them play, so by that, you should have seen that despite that fantastic numbers vs det, he didnt look as dominating as those numbers perceived him to be.
QB's in this league cost money. Even the backups make 3-4 million a year. We were able to sign Moore for peanuts because he was a catastrophe in Carolina and no one else wanted him. 7-10 million is the going rate for a starting QB. I also don't think Flynn will ever be great but I think he could be the next Matt Hasselbeck who is pretty good but not great. That's good enough for me right now.

Back
Top Bottom