Coach Flore's Take on Rosen's Progress | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coach Flore's Take on Rosen's Progress

This is why I said I HOPE we draft a QB. Doesn't mean they will and I agree that what we think the team should do and what they actually will do are two different things. This team base has been waiting for us to have a top QB for a long time and after they blew up the team this past off season the hope has been that they'll bring in a QB that will make the fans have some hope.

I don't think Rosen is that big hope the fan base has been waiting for.
You are right, but you know what will turn fans on a dime?

Rosen coming out on fire next year, regularly throwing for 300 yds, and posting good TD/TO ratios.

If that happens, fans will be on board.

One thing I don't want, is Flo making decisions based on fan/media rhetoric.

That's true, but it was pretty apparent that he wasn't properly coached, and wasn't armed with the required knowledge to be able to funcion within the framework of the offensive system.

He may still not be able to process quickly, but knowing what the hell he is doing, and why certainly should help.
Agreed but coaching can only take him so far. He has probably always been a whiz in the film room and can read pre-snap just fine. His issue has been seeing it and reacting in real time.
I haven’t given up on Rosen, sometimes it takes guys longer for the game to slow down. Some guys it never does, fortunately we have him for a couple years to find out.
I would still draft a QB high this year, though. Having two good young QBs can’t be a bad thing

I'll take the Josh Rosen that played against Dallas, for 16 games next year.
The guy who was 18/39 46% 0TD 0INT 61.9 rating, took 3 sacks, and scored 6 points... THAT'S the guy you want for SIXTEEN games?

Man, it really is embarrassing how far the standards have fallen for this franchise. I'm sure you'll buy season tickets to watch that clown show too.

The guy who was 18/39 46% 0TD 0INT 61.9 rating, took 3 sacks, and scored 6 points... THAT'S the guy you want for SIXTEEN games?

Man, it really is embarrassing how far the standards have fallen for this franchise. I'm sure you'll buy season tickets to watch that clown show too.

Yes that one. I don't hold it against Rosen that Drake fumbled at the 5 yard line on first down.

Just like I didn't hold it against Rosen that Preston Williams couldn't hold onto a beautifully thrown TD pass.

You see what you want to see, most of us watch the games.

He's a QB, not a magician.

there's a lot of things Rosen needs to improve on to be a quality starter in this league....and the list of things he does very well is short.

let him keep developing, draft a qb, see what happens

The way we'll be able to tell how sincere they are about Rosen is if Fitz is on the team next season...Rosen has to either be the starter, or competing for the job with whomever they draft.

The way we'll be able to tell how sincere they are about Rosen is if Fitz is on the team next season...Rosen has to either be the starter, or competing for the job with whomever they draft.
I don't agree that it's much indication at all. Fitz would be an asset to the team with 2 young guys, and I don't think keeping 3 QBs is out of the question, especially considering the cost of all three put together would still be very small.

maybe the one for a half vs Dallas

Then you gotta give him credit for another half for the Chargers game in which he did some good things too. Including an opening drive TD. Josh Rosen looked like a better football player than Dak Prescott against Dallas. I don't care what anyone says about that, it's true.

All this with a roster that couldn't cross mid field for it's first two games.

It's so wrong to try and evaluate a QB under these circumstances.

The ONLY effective plays this team has produced all year have been 50/50 balls to Parker. That's not an offense.

Yes that one. I don't hold it against Rosen that Drake fumbled at the 5 yard line on first down.

Just like I didn't hold it against Rosen that Preston Williams couldn't hold onto a beautifully thrown TD pass.

You see what you want to see, most of us watch the games.

He's a QB, not a magician.
So he's 18/39 because everybody dropped all of his passes? You're right. He's not bad, just unlucky!

The funny thing about the "you see what you want to see, most of us watch the games" is implying that you know what you're watching and I don't. What's equally funny is that just two games later Rosen was benched for the rest of the season so I guess Flores didn't know what he was watching either, right?

Here's every throw he made during that game so your "scout" eyes can get a little refresher course.

14 completed short throws
8 bad throws (behind, nobody there, right into arms of defender etc)
1 deep throw completion... Parker 1 handed catch
1 deep throw knocked away by defender
1 late deep throw into double coverage that was lucky it wasn't picked
1 deep over throw
3 medium throw completions
2 medium throw incompletions
3 drops
1 drop that would've been a 0 yard reception by Grant so it didn't matter whether he caught it or not
1 real nice TD throw to Williams knocked loose by defender
1 late throw over the middle that almost killed Hurns
2 throwaways as he was about to get sacked or there was nothing there

By my count, that's...
1 for 4 on deep throws where the one completion was a spectacular 1 handed grab by Parker and the other 3 had no chance.
4 intermediate completions that were good throws (including the Williams TD drop because it was a good throw)
A throw that no QB should ever make to Hurns and one that will instantly create distrust with the receivers
Some other throws that were just football plays, defenders making a play, quick and easy completions etc
And 8 bad throws that nobody had a chance to make

Since poor Rosen didn't have a TD in that game because of the Preston Williams play, take a look at some of the other times where Dallas dropped a pick. It goes both ways, bruh. Also, take a look at when some of these bad throws, sacks, or short throws happened... 3rd down. This is why you'll rarely see any throws in the red zone because we rarely got there.

Again... this is what you want for 16 games. Embarrassing.

Then you gotta give him credit for another half for the Chargers game in which he did some good things too. Including an opening drive TD. Josh Rosen looked like a better football player than Dak Prescott against Dallas. I don't care what anyone says about that, it's true.

All this with a roster that couldn't cross mid field for it's first two games.

It's so wrong to try and evaluate a QB under these circumstances.

The ONLY effective plays this team has produced all year have been 50/50 balls to Parker. That's not an offense.

He put half’s together he didn’t put full games. I saw some solid half’s and I saw some other half’s that were no bueno.

Main thing rosen has to do that I saw is process faster. He’s not the post snap off script qb that fitz is but he doesn’t have fitz arm limitations either.

average at best athlete you better process faster or up your off script game

he also needs to understand where pressure is coming from situationally better. Tight red zone especially. Maybe that comes with game reps

I'd be able to make a better assessment if this improvement in Rosen caused Flores to think "he gives us the best chance to win" now, inserts him as the starter over Fitzy and watch him play the last couple games and see it on the field.

He put half’s together he didn’t put full games. I saw some solid half’s and I saw some other half’s that were no bueno.

Which is all relative to expectations.

We are just bypassing the fact that most of our plays had no chance before the snap. Rarely was a blitzer ever picked up. Rarely did a running play gain even 3 YARDS. Not 5, not 8, 2-3 yards was a successful running play.

NO QB would be effective on this team. None.
So he's 18/39 because everybody dropped all of his passes? You're right. He's not bad, just unlucky!

The funny thing about the "you see what you want to see, most of us watch the games" is implying that you know what you're watching and I don't. What's equally funny is that just two games later Rosen was benched for the rest of the season so I guess Flores didn't know what he was watching either, right?

Here's every throw he made during that game so your "scout" eyes can get a little refresher course.

14 completed short throws
8 bad throws (behind, nobody there, right into arms of defender etc)
1 deep throw completion... Parker 1 handed catch
1 deep throw knocked away by defender
1 late deep throw into double coverage that was lucky it wasn't picked
1 deep over throw
3 medium throw completions
2 medium throw incompletions
3 drops
1 drop that would've been a 0 yard reception by Grant so it didn't matter whether he caught it or not
1 real nice TD throw to Williams knocked loose by defender
1 late throw over the middle that almost killed Hurns
2 throwaways as he was about to get sacked or there was nothing there

By my count, that's...
1 for 4 on deep throws where the one completion was a spectacular 1 handed grab by Parker and the other 3 had no chance.
4 intermediate completions that were good throws (including the Williams TD drop because it was a good throw)
A throw that no QB should ever make to Hurns and one that will instantly create distrust with the receivers
Some other throws that were just football plays, defenders making a play, quick and easy completions etc
And 8 bad throws that nobody had a chance to make

Since poor Rosen didn't have a TD in that game because of the Preston Williams play, take a look at some of the other times where Dallas dropped a pick. It goes both ways, bruh. Also, take a look at when some of these bad throws, sacks, or short throws happened... 3rd down. This is why you'll rarely see any throws in the red zone because we rarely got there.

Again... this is what you want for 16 games. Embarrassing.

I can live with imperfect plays from a 22 year old QB making his first start with the team on a historically bad roster.

Your convinced Tom Brady and Drew Brees in their prime could've had solid performances with constant pressure and no running game. You give QB's too much credit and too much blame.

This past week was the first we had a 15+ yard rush the entire season. This is not normal. It's not bad. It's epic.

I am not putting Rosen in the hall of fame, I'm doing what you do when you evaluate 22 year olds. You look at the positives and try and correct the negatives. In this scenario nothing could possibly be corrected until next season.

For the first games of the season we saw NOTHING but negatives. NOTHING. Couldn't get to midfield.

It's all relative to expectations.

When you go from historically bad to should've been leading at half time, that's a monumental plus.

I know that the Cowboys and Chargers were worried at half time, when the rest of the world thought we'd be down 30.

Back
Top Bottom