Colts wont take Luck | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colts wont take Luck

I think Minnesota wouldt take Luck and try and trade Ponder. Ponder isn't that great of a QB prospect imo.

I think STL would trade the pick.

that could be the case also...unless theres a massive offer...jake long yeah i think they're listening...if they did trade ponder i'd want to be on that also though...he's got some talents to work with

thinkin about it minnesota may be just what we need to make a trade...they need left tackle and cb help BAD...offer em jake and 2 1's and see if they'll take it...if not worse case freakin throw in vontae...

just go balls out miami!!! this fan base is tired of bull****

Oh man hoops, that's insane! It's so hard to swallow trading developed players on this team...My thinking is that if St. Louis ends up with the pick, like we're both hoping, we know that they are on the hook with Bradford and thus Miami will have a little more leverage there. Remember what Eli Manning was traded for?

1st Overall (Manning) <-----> 4th Overall (Rivers), 2004 3rd, 2005 1st, and 2005 5th.

I'm not saying that Manning had the same hype or was as good of a prospect as Luck, but 4 1sts? That is definitely going to be negotiable and will be brought down once they realize NO team will trade 4 1sts or 3 1sts for anybody. Compare this offer to the Eli offer above:

1st Overall (Luck) <--------> 7th overall, 2012 3rd, 2012 5th, 2013 1st, 2013 3rd, 2013 5th, & Randy Starks.

I'm estimating 7th pick, and I'm using Randy Starks just as an example of a player. This drafts top 10 is stacked with players, so there will be no shortage of talent at 7 either. If St. Louis gets the pick, advantage = Miami. The worry is that it could turn into a bidding war, but let's remember, only a few teams ahead of us will want Luck also, so we have the luxury of having a higher pick than most teams entering the bidding war.

Oh man hoops, that's insane! It's so hard to swallow trading developed players on this team...My thinking is that if St. Louis ends up with the pick, like we're both hoping, we know that they are on the hook with Bradford and thus Miami will have a little more leverage there. Remember what Eli Manning was traded for?

1st Overall (Manning) <-----> 4th Overall (Rivers), 2004 3rd, 2005 1st, and 2005 5th.

I'm not saying that Manning had the same hype or was as good of a prospect as Luck, but 4 1sts? That is definitely going to be negotiable and will be brought down once they realize NO team will trade 4 1sts or 3 1sts for anybody. Compare this offer to the Eli offer above:

1st Overall (Luck) <--------> 7th overall, 2012 3rd, 2012 5th, 2013 1st, 2013 3rd, 2013 5th, & Randy Starks.

I'm estimating 7th pick, and I'm using Randy Starks just as an example of a player. This drafts top 10 is stacked with players, so there will be no shortage of talent at 7 either. If St. Louis gets the pick, advantage = Miami. The worry is that it could turn into a bidding war, but let's remember, only a few teams ahead of us will want Luck also, so we have the luxury of having a higher pick than most teams entering the bidding war.

brother every team in the league that doesn't have a franchise qb or doesn't believe the young guy they have in house right now is gonna be one is gonna want a piece of the luck sweepstakes...there will be varying differences of the amount of interest as in how far are they willing to go but everyone will at least test the waters...so you better go damn big or you go home...thats all i'm sayin to you...we have the ammo that a minnesota would want on our team that not many teams can match...you get stingy now you lose...i promise you

thinkin about it minnesota may be just what we need to make a trade...they need left tackle and cb help BAD...offer em jake and 2 1's and see if they'll take it...if not worse case freakin throw in vontae...

just go balls out miami!!! this fan base is tired of bull****

Absolutely! Getting the franchise QB is the #1 goal. Nothing else matters.

brother every team in the league that doesn't have a franchise qb or doesn't believe the young guy they have in house right now is gonna be one is gonna want a piece of the luck sweepstakes...there will be varying differences of the amount of interest as in how far are they willing to go but everyone will at least test the waters...so you better go damn big or you go home...thats all i'm sayin to you...we have the ammo that a minnesota would want on our team that not many teams can match...you get stingy now you lose...i promise you

I totally agree, we cannot be stingy. However, I do not believe other teams will be adding in all-pro (Long), pro bowl (Marshall), or near pro bowl (Davis) talent to their package. I could see picks, but I disagree that we should part with established talent, and I believe most GM's will want to hang onto developed players as well. We can bump up 3rds to 2nds, but again, we know St. Louis is on the hook for Bradford and that there's no guarantee Minnesota would be able to find a trade partner for Ponder, even if they are willing to part with a top 12 pick so early in his career.

I don't even want to think about it because I don't want to be more disappointed than I already am. Watch Indy lay down against Jax to get that #1 overall pick.

I totally agree, we cannot be stingy. However, I do not believe other teams will be adding in all-pro (Long), pro bowl (Marshall), or near pro bowl (Davis) talent to their package. I could see picks, but I disagree that we should part with established talent, and I believe most GM's will want to hang onto developed players as well. We can bump up 3rds to 2nds, but again, we know St. Louis is on the hook for Bradford and that there's no guarantee Minnesota would be able to find a trade partner for Ponder, even if they are willing to part with a top 12 pick so early in his career.

when shefters talkin 4 1st rounders in trade he's not just pullin that out of his ***...i'd rather part with established talent now on the roster than mortgage my draft future...2 #1's i'm game and a player or two but 4 1's...your talkin your top pick through 2015...i'd rather go the existing player route

but you know what...if our front office did grow a pair and make something like this happen at least us as fans even if luck was to bust which i don't think there's a chance in hell of it happening but anyways could say we did everything we could to fix the position long term with the highest rated college qb prospect since elway...we finally grew a pair and went all out...i mean i'd be proud to be a dolphins fan just cause we went all in for once

and if we hit like i think andrew luck hits...we'd all forget we gave up jake or vontae or worst case both in no time...cause this kid would be winning us games and creating buzz and firing up the fan base and putting butts in the seats and putting the miami dolphins back on the freakin football map where we damn well belong...thats what i'm talkin about

I don't even want to think about it because I don't want to be more disappointed than I already am. Watch Indy lay down against Jax to get that #1 overall pick.
if indy tries to lay down, jax will still lose. jax is god awful. gabbet maybe worse than palko. thats how bad he is. ok maybe im pushing it, or maybe not.

Hoops, I'm interested in what you would trade for Ponder? Do you think he's a big upgrade from Matt Moore? I wasn't too high on him last year and I was a bit surprised he went in the top half of the first round. I think he'll be solid, I just didn't think his ceiling was very high.

Hoops, I'm interested in what you would trade for Ponder? Do you think he's a big upgrade from Matt Moore? I wasn't too high on him last year and I was a bit surprised he went in the top half of the first round. I think he'll be solid, I just didn't think his ceiling was very high.

yes...i think ponders upside or ceiling is higher than moore...absolutely...kids a damn good move athlete...hmmm...would i part with pick #7 worst case for him given what i've seen...i don't know...i like the talent i've seen but is he a shoo in??? i can't go there

and this comes from a guy who was adamant i would not use a top half of round 1 pick on ponder...i had him as a late round 1 early round 2 guy...but if they do trade him they're gonna want something close to what they put into him...which for them was pick #12

i'd rather make them an offer they can't refuse for the top pick...

I agree Schefter is likely hearing from sources that that would be the price to pay...however, that price came out when Indy was locked in for the #1 pick. The value completely changes if/when St. Louis/Minnesota holds the pick. Time will time, but brother I'm right with you and fully believe this kid has a nearly 0% bust potential and that we should make a move for him no matter who holds the top pick.

yes...i think ponders upside or ceiling is higher than moore...absolutely...kids a damn good move athlete...hmmm...would i part with pick #7 worst case for him given what i've seen...i don't know...i like the talent i've seen but is he a shoo in??? i can't go there

and this comes from a guy who was adamant i would not use a top half of round 1 pick on ponder...i had him as a late round 1 early round 2 guy...but if they do trade him they're gonna want something close to what they put into him...which for them was pick #12

i'd rather make them an offer they can't refuse for the top pick...

I think if Minnesota traded Ponder than they'd get a 2nd or a future 1st. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to give a first for Ponder unless they're in the back end of the 1st. For a team like us, I think they'd either have to accept our 2012 2nd rounder or a 2013 first rounder. Minnesota wouldn't have leverage in the trade negoiations imo.

I would much rather trade for Luck than Ponder, but I think that would be totally dependent on Minnesota if they got into that position and if I were running their team I would take Luck and trade Ponder. I'm not a huge believer in Ponder myself. I think he can be a solid starter but I don't ever see him being elite.

Why is everyone so convinced that the colts are gonna take Luck?

They have a legend in peyton manning who still has a solid 3 yrs left
Manning family has spoken. They wont be on the same team
If they were to trade they can fill a ton of holes And still get a qb later
They wont abandon manning...period. He is the face of their franchise
The fans would riot.

Draft day always surprises...i think the colts bite on the best trade offer.

Don't count me as everyone. Is it possible that the Colts pick Luck? Sure it is....but IMO it's not likely if...IF Manning is healthy. I've been saying this for months.

evidently manning isn't gonna pass the end of year physical they have set up for him...which means he'll likely be going into the early offseason it seems as a medical unknown still

Colts owner Jim Irsay said if Peyton Manning plays football next season, it will be in Indianapolis. Irsay was interviewed on NFL Network before last night’s kickoff between Houston and Indianapolis, a game that could be Manning’s last at Lucas Oil Stadium. Irsay said Manning is progressing from his neck injury, that his throwing arm is getting stronger...

If Manning is healthy I see Luck pulling an Eli/Elway if the Colts try to draft him. I doubt Luck wants to risk sitting for what could possibly be 3-4 years.

I think if Minnesota traded Ponder than they'd get a 2nd or a future 1st. I don't see a lot of teams lining up to give a first for Ponder unless they're in the back end of the 1st. For a team like us, I think they'd either have to accept our 2012 2nd rounder or a 2013 first rounder. Minnesota wouldn't have leverage in the trade negoiations imo.

I would much rather trade for Luck than Ponder, but I think that would be totally dependent on Minnesota if they got into that position and if I were running their team I would take Luck and trade Ponder. I'm not a huge believer in Ponder myself. I think he can be a solid starter but I don't ever see him being elite.

that might be the case...i just don't think we'd be the only ones interested in acquiring ponder...if minnesota was going to draft luck though they'd probably take a 1st rounder in 2013 for ponder if someone was willing to offer it up...a future pick...i can see that

i don't think they'd take a 2nd rounder in 2012 though...with or without the leverage...i think they'd search for a team who was high on ponder (which we evidently were) and find someone willing to part with a future 1st or maybe a 1st round pick this year around the #20 mark

Back
Top Bottom