Come meet Dan Marino in Vegas | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Come meet Dan Marino in Vegas

I had a similar experience as some others. I was at the Dolphins team hotel in 96 in Philadelphia. When the players were leaving for the game, many were stopping and signing autographs. I got a bunch of players and coaches to autograph a helmet.

Marino walked by and ignored everyone. I was the only person outside right next to the bus. When I asked for his autograph, he looked up, said he couldn’t and got on the bus.

I did go to an autograph show a few years later and get him to sign the same helmet, albeit for a few bucks $$$.

I lived in Weston from 1988 to 1991.

Marino lived in Weston as well.

I ran into him quite a bit, but I never approached him when I saw him out and about.

Either the radio station (WIOD) or the Dolphins, put on a monthly thing at the clubhouse of one of the communities (not sure if it was Windmill Ranch Estates, where Marino lived).

I think Rick Weaver and Joe Zagacki would broadcast live, and a bunch of players would show up.

I would go every once in awhile, and got meet and talk to Dan at several.

I never had an issue, but what you all are saying about how he acted out in public when he was approached by fans is consistent to what i've always heard.

Offerdahl, on the other hand, opened his first bagel place next to my neighborhood Publix in 1990, and I would talk to him all the time, especially in the offseason and in 1991 when he was injured and only started 6 games.

I used to go up to the celebrity golf tournament at Tahoe which he frequently played.

I can confirm he is an a**hole to kids wanting an autograph.
That's exactly where I saw him. Him and Elway at the Cal-Neva playing Blackjack. I didn't ask for an autograph, but saw others ask and he was not nice. Something along the lines of "can't I just play some damn cards." Can't say I blamed him. He just wants to gamble. Elway seemed more approachable.

And this guy is working at the Fins? No wonder the past teams sucked. He brings bad mojo. I would kick him out and spray salt all over his office and building.

Well, at first I was like damn. I am there July 4th-10th. Now reading some posts I may not be missing much. Still would rather more pictures with Cheerleaders and as I do not think there will be any there at that time, I will have to ask my wife to pack some Dolphin wear.....:BC::BC::BC:

My wife and I were just sitting and eating and a young boy walked over to Marino with his father and introduced himself and asked Marino for his autograph. Marino looked up at the father and stated rather loudly, “ Why would you have your son interrupt me while I’m out with friends having dinner”.

The father didn’t say anything except,” I‘m sorry” and told his son to come on. Marino didn’t sign anything for the young boy and he continued to complain to his friends about being bothered all the time when he was out in public.
This made me think of an interaction I had with Nick Cage... I know it's not Marino but when I got home from college I was a tour guide at Atlantis for a quick minuet and this guy in a big hat came over and asked me about something in the aquarium and as I was trying to answer this kid came up and asked this guy for an autograph... Cage wasn't rude at all but he said no. Told the kid to go get his dad. and then took the kids address. when the Dad and kid left he looks at me and say "I'm on vacation. I am here to get high and **** my wife" LOL.
Also watched Patrick Ewing run away from a group of kids. When I say "run" he never ran that fast when he played ball...

When I was a kid I had box level seats at a Panthers game. They were open and mine was right next to Marino’s, so we were right next to each other for hours just w a little glass between us.

I was prob 10 (obv a huge fan) and politely gave the dude some sort of acknowledgement. I said “Yo Dan…(and a compliment of some sort).” I wasn’t expecting a conversation, but that a-hole clearly couldn’t take 2 seconds to give me a look or a nod or anything. Zero chance he didn’t hear bc because I could hear him.

And yeah, I got a little pissed that my idol couldn’t be bothered to give me the time of day. Not that he owed me anything, but I can’t imagine being so up my own ass that I can’t give a wave or something to a 10 yr old fan showing me love.

Unfortunately for him I could be a little brat if I felt u deserved it (treat others how u want to be treated and all that). So he spent the entire rest of the game getting heckled by a little kid. The amount of “yo Dans’,” “can I see ur SB ring,” ect. I threw at him was relentless.

I was privileged to get to watch him play football. But u couldn’t pay me to spend any time w him as a person.

But you know who is the most gracious awesomely nice sports figure you can ever meet in public? Charles Barkley...have a great story about him but don't wanna write it out...but Chuck is an awesome guy
Chuck golfs at my club regularly and golfed with him by chance, wasn’t set up. Gotta say, he was awesome. He has a real person outlook on life. No heirs about him

Chuck golfs at my club regularly and golfed with him by chance, wasn’t set up. Gotta say, he was awesome. He has a real person outlook on life. No heirs about him
When I was a kid I had box level seats at a Panthers game. They were open and mine was right next to Marino’s, so we were right next to each other for hours just w a little glass between us.

I was prob 10 (obv a huge fan) and politely gave the dude some sort of acknowledgement. I said “Yo Dan…(and a compliment of some sort).” I wasn’t expecting a conversation, but that a-hole clearly couldn’t take 2 seconds to give me a look or a nod or anything. Zero chance he didn’t hear bc because I could hear him.

And yeah, I got a little pissed that my idol couldn’t be bothered to give me the time of day. Not that he owed me anything, but I can’t imagine being so up my own ass that I can’t give a wave or something to a 10 yr old fan showing me love.

Unfortunately for him I could be a little brat if I felt u deserved it (treat others how u want to be treated and all that). So he spent the entire rest of the game getting heckled by a little kid. The amount of “yo Dans’,” “can I see ur SB ring,” ect. I threw at him was relentless.

I was privileged to get to watch him play football. But u couldn’t pay me to spend any time w him as a person.

I lived in Weston from 1988 to 1991.

Marino lived in Weston as well.

I ran into him quite a bit, but I never approached him when I saw him out and about.

Either the radio station (WIOD) or the Dolphins, put on a monthly thing at the clubhouse of one of the communities (not sure if it was Windmill Ranch Estates, where Marino lived).

I think Rick Weaver and Joe Zagacki would broadcast live, and a bunch of players would show up.

I would go every once in awhile, and got meet and talk to Dan at several.

I never had an issue, but what you all are saying about how he acted out in public when he was approached by fans is consistent to what i've always heard.

Offerdahl, on the other hand, opened his first bagel place next to my neighborhood Publix in 1990, and I would talk to him all the time, especially in the offseason and in 1991 when he was injured and only started 6 games.

John Offerdahl is a first class guy. I remember in the late 90s or early 00s, he saved a woman whose car had gone into a swamp.

Marino is a dick. Aside from being rude to people (and kids, for Christ sake) who made his charmed life possible, he also cheated on his wife. Thank God I was young and naive when he played, otherwise I probably would have thrown his jerseys in the garbage.

Barley is a riot. He would be out at the club drinking all night and then golf the next day.

Barkley tried to pick up on my sister a couple of times without success…LOL

Barkley would also interact with crowd and sign people’s jerseys that were wearing his. He would hang out for a while with crowd after he got done golfing.

He showed up at a gym I had a membership at a couple of years ago and the guy can barely walk now, but was friendly to everyone. Just a cool dude.

Back
Top Bottom