Come meet Dan Marino in Vegas | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Come meet Dan Marino in Vegas

As a kid in the late 70s I called the team hotel in Buffalo (Got the info from the old Dolphin Digest paper. Anyone else subscribe to that?) I asked for Bob Griese's room. They connected me with no questions asked and sure enough Bob answered.

He was nice to me and talked to me for several minutes. : ) I still have the recording of it. That was huge talking to your sports hero as a kid.

As a kid in the late 70s I called the team hotel in Buffalo (Got the info from the old Dolphin Digest paper. Anyone else subscribe to that?) I asked for Bob Griese's room. They connected me with no questions asked and sure enough Bob answered.

He was nice to me and talked to me for several minutes. : ) I still have the recording of it. That was huge talking to your sports hero as a kid.
Wow. That is awesome and also a testimate to how times have changed.

I live in Miami and as a kid I always would call the teams hotel and ask for players. One time I got Johnny Unitas on the phone and I was telling him how he's my favorite player when my mother picked up the extension. I said Mom, I'm talking to Johnny Unitas, she says you are not and Unitas says yes he is!! It was a different world in those days! Better if you ask me. I think young people lose their innocence at far too young an age because of the internet. They are subjected to too much too early life. Sorry, I know that's non football!! Would Marino have talked to me if I called his Hotel room, I kind of doubt it.

My girlfriend wrote to the Dolphins when I was having brain surgery in 1989 asking for some good luck from Dan. He wrote me a personalized letter that I still have on my wall. Everyone has good and bad days.

I was in Vegas two weeks ago on my way to Zion National Park. Might have gone to see him if he'd been there then.

I love that this post is like:
Yes, I have an amazing story aboit Barkley. No, you can't hear it.
Met him at a restaurant in Phx in 1992...didn't want to approach him but he caught me looking at him and called me over and talked to me about basketball for 10 minutes in the middle of his dinner...I was 9...he signed the suns hat I was wearing and paid for my family's dinner

Last edited:
The year he tore his Achilles I was in town for the Steve Deberg debut against New England. Went to the country club where Dan did his weekly show. Respectfully waited in line for his autograph. When I got up there he accused me of already getting his autograph and being one of those guys who sells them for profit. He reluctantly gave it to me but I trashed it , not because I was really pissed at him but just realized how stupid it is to ask for somebody's signature. He was an ass but still loved him as a player.

Both my sports heroes where known for being assholes and since I am an asshole it only seems fitting. Dan of course is one and Dale was the other. whether throwing the rock or driving a car they both wanted to win at all cost.

Met him at a restaurant in Phx in 1992...didn't want to approach him but he caught me looking at him and called me over and talked to me about basketball for 10 minutes in the middle of his dinner...I was 9...he signed the suns hat I was wearing and paid for my family's dinner

I never cared for Barkley but that is really cool of him to do that!

That's exactly where I saw him. Him and Elway at the Cal-Neva playing Blackjack. I didn't ask for an autograph, but saw others ask and he was not nice. Something along the lines of "can't I just play some damn cards." Can't say I blamed him. He just wants to gamble. Elway seemed more approachable.

As far as I concerned if you want big money without fans, invent something revolutionary or use your brain. He's there playing cards because of the fans. Doesn't matter how great a player is, if fans didn't watch they would be making squat.

That dude is so funny. I don't really care for nba, but will watch the finals sometimes. I like watching just for the commentary with Barkley and Crew. Shaq and Barkley busting each other's ball is a riot. Shaqs funny too. I believe Shaqs a good dude too, I've heard he does a ton for people and kids and things to help regular ppl. Seems like Shaq has a good heart too. I heard Charles would tip waiters and waitresses really well which shows his generosity. I think Barkley joked how, Michael jordan was a cheap tipper ha

Shaq and Barkley legit hate eachother. It makes their back and forth really funny sometimes. Both trying to **** talk the other while not taking it so far they get fired.

Getting mixed vibes here ....never met him in person ...last time I saw him it was in 1998 training camp...I screamed out from the fence 'Dan! Your the best of all time!' He looked over to me and ...looked away...lol...that was the best I got...anyway I have vacation time and was considering heading out west...you guys think its worth it??

Getting mixed vibes here ....never met him in person ...last time I saw him it was in 1998 training camp...I screamed out from the fence 'Dan! Your the best of all time!' He looked over to me and ...looked away...lol...that was the best I got...anyway I have vacation time and was considering heading out west...you guys think its worth it??

It is only worth it to get your stuff signed, that is it, he is not a very social able person

It is only worth it to get your stuff signed, that is it, he is not a very social able person
Yeah Ill call the place and see what's up with that....is it free or what...like a few years ago I got Zach, Jason and Lawrence Taylor's signatures at a Dunkin donuts event in Lake Worth...all for free...me and my son took pics with Zach and Taylor...Jason left like a bat out of hell quick when event was supposedly done so couldn't with him...

I met Barkley in an ATL titty bar. It was in that period where he was having a career resurgence but broke his leg, so he was on the mend and I wished him well in his recovery and he seemed to really appreciate the specific nature of my comment vs a random 'hey Charles' so he was very gracious. Way more than I expected. After that I was gonna scoot to give him back his privacy but he was so comfortable with me being there that the vibe was chill. We actually made comments about the different girls on stage for a few minutes. He wasn't alone there but didn't feel the need to close ranks.
Ill never forget having a 'celebrity encounter' that was so chill.

Back
Top Bottom