Come meet Dan Marino in Vegas | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Come meet Dan Marino in Vegas

But you know who is the most gracious awesomely nice sports figure you can ever meet in public? Charles Barkley...have a great story about him but don't wanna write it out...but Chuck is an awesome guy
That dude is so funny. I don't really care for nba, but will watch the finals sometimes. I like watching just for the commentary with Barkley and Crew. Shaq and Barkley busting each other's ball is a riot. Shaqs funny too. I believe Shaqs a good dude too, I've heard he does a ton for people and kids and things to help regular ppl. Seems like Shaq has a good heart too. I heard Charles would tip waiters and waitresses really well which shows his generosity. I think Barkley joked how, Michael jordan was a cheap tipper ha

One of the classiest people I've ever met was Hakeem Olajuwon. May years ago, my company was a sponsor for the Utah Jazz. I was able to occasionally bring my kids to pre-game warm ups and toss balls to Stockton, Malone etc, but my personal favorite team was the Houston Rockets. Somehow they got wind of this and when they were visiting Utah to play the Jazz they invited me and my 2 sons to warm ups. Olajuwon and Barkley took time to take photos, talk, and even gave signed Jerseys/balls to my sons. They were extremely kind. Olajuwon in particular was a classy dignified man.

Marino thinks it's ok to get hammered, be a drunk prick and then not even pay his tab. When they ask for money he says I'm Dan Marino, I don't f***** pay!!!! His wife, Clair, is apparently used to this and stays behind to give her credit card for the bill. His pool guy rang his bell and asked for him to sign his son's football and Dan screams at the guy, do I look like I'm working?? Loved him as a QB but he could be a ton more gracious than he is.
I saw him at the McCartney concert, he seemed normal but then again nobody was bugging him. If I asked him for an autograph during Hey Jude the guy would have gone ape s*** probably!! It might be that he's nasty when he drinks, too bad he's always drunk in public day or night. It's tough to catch him in a good mood. My sister went to a party and Marino and Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees was there. I asked her who was the biggest ahole, she said it was a tie!!

Funny you mention this. I have worked with some of Australia's biggest race car drivers here - think Earnhardt/Petty royalty. One was a real gem, signed everything, spoke to everyone, took thousands of photos. The other 2 - well, lets just say that they were so focused on the race car that the fans were a very very distant 2nd. Neither were rude, just didnt avail themselves like they should.

Marino thinks it's ok to get hammered, be a drunk prick and then not even pay his tab. When they ask for money he says I'm Dan Marino, I don't f***** pay!!!! His wife, Clair, is apparently used to this and stays behind to give her credit card for the bill. His pool guy rang his bell and asked for him to sign his son's football and Dan screams at the guy, do I look like I'm working?? Loved him as a QB but he could be a ton more gracious than he is.
I saw him at the McCartney concert, he seemed normal but then again nobody was bugging him. If I asked him for an autograph during Hey Jude the guy would have gone ape s*** probably!! It might be that he's nasty when he drinks, too bad he's always drunk in public day or night. It's tough to catch him in a good mood. My sister went to a party and Marino and Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees was there. I asked her who was the biggest ahole, she said it was a tie!!
Glad I didn’t know that much about Marino as a person when he was playing.

I think Marino, like Michael Jordan were fortunate to play before social media from an image perspective.

Sounds like both my childhood through young adult hero’s (Griese and Marino) turned out to be alcoholics.

I guess I caught him on a good day as he was pretty chill. He signed a poster I had for an autograph signing.
Even the most arrogant sports stars will sign their autographs if they are getting paid. While they are certainly entitled to refuse to sign autographs for free when they are out in public. They can simply state that they don’t sign autographs in public and not be dicks about it. Especially when it is a young boy or girl asking for the autograph.

Nowadays there are so many nutjobs out there Fans are lucky they get any access at all to sports stars.

Even the most arrogant sports stars will sign their autographs if they are getting paid. While they are certainly entitled to refuse to sign autographs for free when they are out in public. They can simply state that they don’t sign autographs in public and not be dicks about it. Especially when it is a young boy or girl asking for the autograph.
Yeah but he responded to me. It wasn't just a signing but I asked him what he thought of coach Cam Cameron. This was when we had that great coach when I saw him at a signing lol. This was before the season started so nobody knew what a bad coach he's be. He said he wasn't sure. While he didn't say much, he also wasn't a dick about it when he answered me. It wasn't all outgoing and exactly friendly ha. But he still responded when he didn't need to be and was fine to me. It's obviously not good for celebrities to be dicks out in public and I know that comes from being a celebrity with public attention. I know there are others who don't like it but try to be nice to ppl coming up to them and kids as well. But while I don't think it's good for a celeb to a dick to ppl approaching them especially kids.

I get the frustration. Some people are just more patient than others about that. It's obvious marino doesn't have the patience to being bothered in his private life. He might've done that initially but I can see how it can wear on celebs to have ppl coming up to them when they want to be left alone. I know it's a kid, but that probably happens a lot or parents use kids to come up to celeb as a way to break through to get something signed when the parent knows the celeb would be less accepting of them as adults. But it's probably why some will be upset with kids trying to autographs as they feel, they keep being nice about that, it will enable more and more of it while trying to be left alone. Also Dan marino probably has or had much more ppl going up to him for autographs or bothered more on his daily life than the other dolphins players, because he's a star player and the qb. Some celebs can be jerks in thos situations, but fine in set up signings and such

Yeah but he responded to me. It wasn't just a signing but I asked him what he thought of coach Cam Cameron. This was when we had that great coach when I saw him at a signing lol. This was before the season started so nobody knew what a bad coach he's be. He said he wasn't sure. While he didn't say much, he also wasn't a dick about it when he answered me. It wasn't all outgoing and exactly friendly ha. But he still responded when he didn't need to be and was fine to me. It's obviously not good for celebrities to be dicks out in public and I know that comes from being a celebrity with public attention. I know there are others who don't like it but try to be nice to ppl coming up to them and kids as well. But while I don't think it's good for a celeb to a dick to ppl approaching them especially kids.

I get the frustration. Some people are just more patient than others about that. It's obvious marino doesn't have the patience to being bothered in his private life. He might've done that initially but I can see how it can wear on celebs to have ppl coming up to them when they want to be left alone. I know it's a kid, but that probably happens a lot or parents use kids to come up to celeb as a way to break through to get something signed when the parent knows the celeb would be less accepting of them as adults. But it's probably why some will be upset with kids trying to autographs as they feel, they keep being nice about that, it will enable more and more of it while trying to be left alone. Also Dan marino probably has or had much more ppl going up to him for autographs or bothered more on his daily life than the other dolphins players, because he's a star player and the qb. Some celebs can be jerks in thos situations, but fine in set up signings and such
As I stated in an earlier post. I never approach well known individuals in an attempt to strike up a conversation or get an autograp. In fact I have never gotten an autograph from anyone in my life except from my employer or people who wrote me a check when they owed me money.

Other wise I have never felt the inclination to have anyone sign their name on something I own. I have no problem with people who love getting autographs but it’s not something I have ever had an interest in.

Even after witnessing the encounter in the restaurant between Marino and the young boy, it didn’t stop me from rooting for him on the field. Yet it did affect the way I saw him as a person. He can act however he wants to but the fact he appears friendly when he is getting PAID to sign autographs doesn’t change my view of him.

Great QB, definitely. A guy I would want to sit down and have a drink with. No thank you.

Last edited:
Yea its definitely sad to always hear these stories about dan. Makes it difficult to take enjoyment in his accomplishments. He became a millionaire for playing a kids game. If it wasn't for the very people he's an ass to buying the tickets and merch... then he's just playing a kids game all those years without the millionaire part. Oh boo hoo the world weeps that part of the trade off is less privacy in public. Most people would sign a thousand helmets everytime they need to take a piss if it meant you didn't have to have a 9-5 soul crushing job just to put food on the table.
It sounds like this is probably how he's been his whole life. Pat Mcafee of the Pat Mcafee show often mentions how his dad went to high school with Marino and ALWAYS follows up with "and he was NOT friends with him! "

Very hard to hear some of this stuff on Marino's personality.

I met him recently and almost didn't say anything. But, I figured it was a once in a lifetime here in Northern California.

I said something like "best quarterback ever." He responded "thanks, buddy. That mean a lot in Joe Montana country." Something like that anyway.

I didn't get too close, or in his face and left it there. I do meet quite a few celebrities and rarely say anything.

I would have loved to ask him one question, though. Would have asked what was his favorite game he played in.

It’s an odd dichotomy.

There is no sports figure I enjoyed more in my childhood. Charles Barkley is a distant second.

I’ve met a **** ton of celebs in my life, due to an occupation I had in my 20s/30s. I have zero desire to meet Dan Marino, because every single person I know who met him (including some of those celebs) say he’s just an asshole.

As I stated in an earlier post. I never approach well known individuals in an attempt to strike up a conversation or get an autograp. In fact I have never gotten an autograph from anyone in my life except from my employer or people who wrote me a check when they owed me money.

Other wise I have never felt the inclination to have anyone sign their name on something I own. I have no problem with people who love getting autographs but it’s not something I have ever had an interest in.

Even after witnessing the encounter in the restaurant between Marino and the young boy, it didn’t stop me from rooting for him on the field. Yet it did affect the way I saw him as a person. He can act however he wants to but the fact he appears friendly when he is getting PAID to sign autographs doesn’t change my view of him.

Great QB, definitely. A guy I would want to sit down and have a drink with. No thank you.
Yeah, like others said. Charles barkley seems like a fun dude to sit down and have a drink with. Another is Pat macafee, I don't know if you've ever watched his podcast, it;s pretty funny and entertaining. He and barkley would seem like a fun time shooting the ****. The guy has a guy of making ppl out their guard down. I mean, heck, Brock lesnar I believe is a private person and is very selective of who he opens up to. And he was laughing and being outgoing on pat macafee's podcast when he's not usually like that for other interviews and shows.

Back
Top Bottom