Commentary: Go Away Ricky | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Commentary: Go Away Ricky

I was unable to read all your threads here since I am at work. Forgive me if I repeat anything. Let me start by saying I would take Ricky back in a second. Remember, the media makes things sound however they want things to sound. They have the power to mince words and make people good or bad.

Also, Ricky suffers from an extreme anxiety condition. Remember him in N.O.? When he came to Miami he had a new lease on life and medication that he would speak about (Paxil). He was on the straight and narrow and doing great. One problem, Paxil makes you gain weight, and makes it much harder to stay at a playing weight. So, he falls in with the wrong crowd and decides to stop his meds (like most patients) against medical advice and when he begins to get anxious, he fall back on Marijuana (much like many people fall back on alcohol, xanax or valium). It relaxes him temporarily, and helps.

Then there's the coaching. I believe him and Wanny clashed alot. First of all they did nothing to help him and continued to run him into a brick wall (since there's no blocking) and there was no discussion of change. Then when there was the coaching breakdown last year (Collier whom Ricky liked was obviously pushed out and Trestman was not promoted because he would have passed more). Ricky was fed up with the abuse.

I know alot of this is without being there, but it is an aspect not often discussed, Gotta get back to work

:wink:

Emskirch said:
I must have missed that Article. If that was the case then I do apologize.

:chuckle: Looking back through the archives... I must say I don't see that article anywhere.

I'm sure he meant to write it though... after all, people with off the field issues aren't fit to be football players. Especially the ones who commit non-violent crimes. Maybe that's why Ricky's not welcomed back and Randy is... Randy commited a violent offense... and Ricky didn't.

:confused2

Whatever the reason, I certainly see no double standard here. Nope... none at all.... not even a little bit. :chuckle:

Listen Buck...,

You take football way too serious for starters..., God..., I would have hated to know you when your girlfrind dumped you.... Your article is completely logical except that you forget that RW has/had a mental illness.., when he made this back-breaking decision.

In fact RWs departure cannot be blamed on the demise of the season...

The fact that he was 60% of the offense is the coaches fault.

The fact that Wanny couldn't (didn't want to) draft or sign players to back up RW..

RW didn't take out David Boston's knees...

RW didn't soften up our predictable defense...

RW left the team at the worst possible moment and because of that and the other non exhausted reasons we know that Wanny is gone and Saban is in.

LET SABAN COACH..., RW is a non-asset unless he plays....

I tend not to agree with Mike alot! But I do agree 100% with this article. Good job Mike!

I like this part:

Just get the hell out of my newspaper, get the hell off my television, and please get the hell away from my football team.

this is one of the few articles ive agreed with you on, haha... ricky turns us into a sideshow... it will take away from our team, im sure it'll cause some problems in the clubhouse... take away from ronnies development, take away a roster spot from a promising young player (probably kay jay)...

i just want him gone...

I loved everything in that article. Every point you hit dead on. It exactly states what I have been trying to say for the last few months. Even the point about Saban acting like Wannstedt. I don't want to picture that at all, but if the shoe fits...

Thanks very much for the good read. Again, the 40 lbs he is down is the tur factor. Ricky won't be in shape by training camp, and if he does show up, he will get pulverized by his FORMER team mates. Even if he gets a bye onto the team because of who he is, he will still be considered a former dolphin, by everyone he plays with.

There is no room in such a team sport for such a me-player.

First of all, "Time heals all wounds, but time wounds all heels."

Second of all, to borrow a line of reasoning from 3P, if you are going to take it as fact that Ricky has a personality disorder, given what we now know about last year's chaotic coaching situation, it's not that surprising that he had a total meltdown.

Third, and this is what is most important to me: Saban sees value in him. Nick is not one to tolerate a meaningless sideshow. That leads me to believe he feels the reward is well worth the risk. And I have faith enough in him to trust that judgment.

I disagree with this article. First off a commentary should be both sides of the story, not one sided such as this one. The grudges that some of you hold against Ricky (nothing more then a sports icon) would worry me if I were associated with you. Live and let live for crying out loud.
NFL total access had a piece on Ricky last night and they said that with Ronnie and Ricky we would have the "most powerful 1-2 punch in the NFL, can you think of any other team that would have that kind of a line-up?"
If that means wins, I am all for it and personally do not care of what he did or does other then between the lines on every Sunday afternoon next year. That does not mean I wasn't disappointed in what happened last year, but let by gones be by gones and lets move forward to making this team better and get some wins.
Now after all that...Come on back Ricky...
I am ready for a little R & R.

There are still alot of fans out there that are not sure if we want to see him in a phins uniform again. What happens if he breaks one and goes up the field for 50 or 60 yards? will we still have all this anger towards him......what happens if he tanks? I'm just worried about Ricky outshining Ronnie.....now there's a problem. Like everyone on here i was pissed as hell when he left the way he did, now, I am not as angry anymore.

finmann said:
I'm just worried about Ricky outshining Ronnie.....now there's a problem.

Not that I'm anticipating it, but what a great problem to have!

I will also disagree with some of the points Mike made.

First...I think you have to bring Ricky back...at the vet's minimum...but you bring him back. I'll give my reasons as to why:

1. If you don't, someone else will. If he comes back for someone else and lights it up, Saban will look like a fool for letting him go for nothing. If he comes backs and doesn't do much for us...who cares? We gave him his shot, it didn't work out, let him go try elsewhere...We still have Ronnie Brown. IMO, the potential out wieghs the risk here.

2. And I think this will eventually be the case...In order to get something for Ricky, he has to prove his worth. If both Ricky and Ronnie have very productive years, Ricky will be worth significantly more than he is right now (next to nothing) AND we will still have Ronnie. I think Saban, even though he isn't saying it, wants to trade Ricky next season.

Keeping Ricky, and letting him play, as long as he doesn't create too much of a distraction and can produce, is by far, the Dolphin's best option here. Do I like Ricky? Hell NO!! But if we remove the blinds on our eyes created by the anger and pain that the scumbag caused last season, we would see that Saban is doing the right thing for this organization.

miamirick said:
I will also disagree with some of the points Mike made.

First...I think you have to bring Ricky back...at the vet's minimum...but you bring him back. I'll give my reasons as to why:

1. If you don't, someone else will. If he comes back for someone else and lights it up, Saban will look like a fool for letting him go for nothing. If he comes backs and doesn't do much for us...who cares? We gave him his shot, it didn't work out, let him go try elsewhere...We still have Ronnie Brown. IMO, the potential out wieghs the risk here.

2. And I think this will eventually be the case...In order to get something for Ricky, he has to prove his worth. If both Ricky and Ronnie have very productive years, Ricky will be worth significantly more than he is right now (next to nothing) AND we will still have Ronnie. I think Saban, even though he isn't saying it, wants to trade Ricky next season.

He can't play anywhere though. His rights belong to Miami. The only way he could play somewhere is if we release him. For more details on a similiar situation, look up Barry Sanders.

Back
Top Bottom