Complete list of games where Chad Henne has choked | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Complete list of games where Chad Henne has choked

Silly me...and he I was thinking the defense choked away a 20+ lead by halftime against the Saints two years ago.....

Thanks for clearing that up.....

If your QB has a 21 point lead, and throws two second half picks, I'd say he's at least partially responsible. That game featured an equal number of bad plays from the defense and offense leading to the comeback for NO, but if Henne had even provided pedestrian play at that point we would have sustained our lead. But when Henne had a chance for the kill against an undefeated team, he knew it and played like he did when he had a chance for a kill against any other team; he brought his worst football to bear. The game also effectively ended on a Henne pick 6 when Henne could have driven them back in the lead.

Also the defense, which you malign, got 3 picks of Brees in that game, which was actually the only reason Henne was even staked to a 24-3 lead in the first place.

You're welcome.

henne is by no means clutch or anything, and hes far from the answer.

however, i would not pin the loss on him today. did he play great? no. however, they had a 6 pt lead with under 3 to go. that means the cleveland browns offense, led by colt mccoy, not peyton manning, aaron rodgers, joe montana, tom brady, etc, but colt mccoy, had to march down the field and score A TOUCHDOWN , and our defense failed to stop him. its a team game, but the defense had to just make one big stop, forget allowing them into mia territory, just dont let this high powered offense ( sarcasm) of mccoy, massaquoi, watson, etc march down the field, and they did.

as for the other games u listed, like the 09 pats game, how exactly did henne choke that game away. henne played really well that game, leading us back from 14-0 and converted some big 4th downs which led us to the win. he did not choke that game.

he has choked lots of games away, but dont just make it seem like he choked every game.

i dont remember the rest of ur list, but im sure their are others u listed that he didnt actuall choke. again, im not a big henne fan and not trying to defend him, we need a new qb, etc, but dont just pin every past game we lost due to him choking when its not exactly the case.

I've already commented, but I'll be honest, I looked again and it appears I got some of the events out of order in that game. Henne actually did lead a game winning drive. I thought in this game he had scored earlier and then failed to extend the lead, but I have to be confusing that with another game.

Edit: Checked again and it was the first Pats game where Henne drove us ahead then couldn't seal the deal. I'll fix the OP.

What's your solution then?

My solution would at least involve talking with my offensive coaches about how comfortable they would be with a QB switch. I'm not here to sell anyone on the viability of Matt Moore, but if things don't change next week (and I have little reason to believe they will) you use the bye week to install a QB who may not throw for as many yards, but may inject some hope into an offense that, to be honest, has ever reason to after they've done a lot of things right to only have it get screwed up when it matters the most.

My real solution would have been to change QB's after the disaster that was last season, or at least find a way to draft one. Sadly, that will probably only happen with a regime change.

Honestly, though, my real purpose with this is just to smash the illusion that Henne is a victim when its clear he's a part of the problem. I used to watch games where I'd see seemingly decent QB's lose games with bad teams and used to think they were victims, or under-appreciated. But the more years I've watched football, the more I've seen guys like Matt Ryan, Chad Pennington, & Josh Freeman step inand and provide some competitive fire and direction to teams that had none.

Among teams that have played 3 games, Miami is 6th lowest in the league in scoring. And unless either Washington or Dallas get shut out tomorrow, we will stay there. So much for "improvements".

Among teams that have played 3 games, Miami is 6th lowest in the league in scoring. And unless either Washington or Dallas get shut out tomorrow, we will stay there. So much for "improvements".
We scored less against the Browns than the Manningless Colts and the Bungles. That's damning right there. Also looking at the points Houston and NE gave up today. We haven't exactly been up against the steel curtain. This is not improvement.

Here is a thought....

Maybe he isnt a choker!

Ever thought that he is bad in those situations cause he is not good in ANY situation? But keep beating the choking drum, it makes total sense with a guy who isnt good period.

Here is a thought....

Maybe he isnt a choker!

Ever thought that he is bad in those situations cause he is not good in ANY situation? But keep beating the choking drum, it makes total sense with a guy who isnt good period.

This is the type of thinking that makes Henne supporters think all who criticize Henne are idiots. I'm going to be completely fair to Henne and say that he has actually been pretty good this year at engineering drives. He deserves credit for a very high percentage of his drives being productive and getting in scoring range. But this skill alone hasn't made him a winning quarterback, it takes more, and that more is something intangible that this post is designed to show Henne just doesn't have. And it's not something that's developed, especially for choke jobs.

Unfortunately, for some, and for all I know our coach and maybe even our interim coach, that skill may be what keeps him starting, even if it's plainly obvious at this point that the genuine results are never going to consistently be there, either in points and/or wins.

This is the type of thinking that makes Henne supporters think all who criticize Henne are idiots. I'm going to be completely fair to Henne and say that he has actually been pretty good this year at engineering drives. He deserves credit for a very high percentage of his drives being productive and getting in scoring range. But this skill alone hasn't made him a winning quarterback, it takes more, and that more is something intangible that this post is designed to show Henne just doesn't have. And it's not something that's developed, especially for choke jobs.

Unfortunately, for some, and for all I know our coach and maybe even our interim coach, that skill may be what keeps him starting, even if it's plainly obvious at this point that the genuine results are never going to consistently be there, either in points and/or wins.

Seriously, he is not good period. He cant anticipate a guy breaking open, he doesnt throw guys open when they are covered and will only throw it if they are WIDE open or on broken plays where he scrambles and the receiver improvises and finds space in the broken coverage. ZERO pocket awareness

He seems to have cut down on completely boneheaded plays but he leaves a ton on the field. There were a bunch of times today where if he throws it before the guy gets out of his break its a big gain in the middle of the field. But because there was a defender around the receiver before his break, he holds the ball.

He doesnt have it period. He is just another guy.

I completely agree with OP's facts, it's pretty darn proof-in-the-pudding that Henne's a choke-artist and is a major factor in why we've lost games, or squeaked by worse teams. Keep in mind though, it's not like he has a lot of help.

When you have your best receiver Brandon Marshall gettin tied up near the LOS every game instead of trying to breakaway for big gains...
Your running backs getting swapped in at the wave of Sparano's ill-advised finger...
An o-line that's pretty shaky as evident today (I dunno how many sacks there were...)...
A special teams punt return unit that can almost never get good field position...
And a head coach that doesnt know jack-diddly about time management in the 4th quarter...

You've got more work cut out for you than most QB's in the league.

Does he over-throw and get INT-prone, not to mention, poor red zone judgement? Yes, though I believe these are things he can resolve with time. Keep in mind, he's already made SOME progress here, it's not like he's a complete lost cause. He's also thrown less INT's throughout the game than he has last season, so give him that as well. He's making mistakes still, but he's making fewer, it's just unfortunately that they're where it counts the most, but there are other factors to the games that put the Dolphins in those positions, it's not all on Chad.

The team needs to fix itself so that Henne can spend more time getting better, and less time struggling from the get-go.

The time for Henne to get better has come and gone. Look at where we are now; an "improved" Henne still just lost a game where the outcome was literally right in front of the offense. You can't wait 5 years for a QB to figure out how not to lose. At some point a player is just what he is, and that is Henne right now.

You are right that there are other things going on with the offense besides Henne. But Henne is merely compounding the offense with his ineptitude in the red zone, which extends to other players. You would be amazed how much a different QB could change the look of this offense and get them to play to a different drum beat.

I'm so tired of watching Miami play like a little league team. I'm watching redzone channel seeing all these teams score on exciting plays when they show Miami it's just down right brutal. I'm tired of the opposing teams' receivers always wide open while Miami's wrs are always blanketed.

I'm so tired of watching Miami play like a little league team. I'm watching redzone channel seeing all these teams score on exciting plays when they show Miami it's just down right brutal. I'm tired of the opposing teams' receivers always wide open while Miami's wrs are always blanketed.

When we have a QB who can do more than throw passes to open receivers after they make one cut, they will seem a lot more open.

Back
Top Bottom