Coolest Dolphin Player | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Coolest Dolphin Player

chemo476 said:
Actually Both Zach and JT.

I met both of those guys in Heidelburg Germany on a USO tour. They visited Patrick Henry Army Kaserne there. I remember they were stunned to see me sporting a ZT jersey, my wife sporting a JT jersey, and my two kids each wearing a Marino and ZT jersey. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but overseas at an Army base; it definitely caught them off guard. Anyway, I asked Zach if he still sleeps with a poster of Junior over his bed. Zach leans over to JT and told him; "see what you started man". They were both very cool. They signed a ton of Dolphin gear that we brought and we talked for 15 minutes. I asked Zach about Sammy Knight (new addition at the time) and he was raving about him.

The second was Larry Izzo and Warrick Dunn during their USO tour to Iraq. They arrived a couple of hours after a mortar attack. Larry was amused to see that I had printed a picture of him as a Dolphin from one of the local fire bases. He gave me a hard time and signed the picture while also putting "go Patriots" on it. We then talked about my specialty--Psychological Warfare. He was pretty intrigured about what we did. Warrick Dunn was awesome too.
i know this is about football but i would just like to say thank you to you for letting us actually be able to have watch football and have our everyday lives. i think that people like u r the coolest people anyway. So thanks for fighting for our freedom and God Bless

MooreNat89 said:
Biggest jerk I ever met on the Dolphins: Mean Joe Greene. Was at the '95 Super Bowl in Miami (SFran vs. SD), walking through the concourse when I spotted him. Greene was our D-line coach at the time. Asked him to sign a football. He walked away without even looking or acknoledging. No one elese was asking for an autograph. I made a sracastic comment to my friend like "what a great guy". Dude stops in his tracks, turns around and comes up on me with a big scowl on his face! Finally one of his buddies pulls him back and they walk away. What a first class idiot. So glad teh Dolphins denied them a couple more Super Bowls in the early 70's. Ha, No thanks Mean Joe!

Gosh, I always thought Mean Joe was a cool guy. My dad used to work at Three Rivers stadium when I was a kid. I was in the tunnel about to have a drink of a Coke when Mean Joe came limping off the field. I asked him if he would like my Coke. He was kind of gruff and he said 'No thanks.' I told him he could have it. And he said, 'Oh, Okay...' So I said, 'See ya around.' and walked away. The I heard him say, 'Hey kid! Catch!' and he tossed me his jersey! All I could say was 'Thanks Mean Joe!' :lol:

Originally Posted by Trekbiz
Funny you mention Zo.....

Was eating breakfast at an Original Pancake House and Zo was sitting alone at a booth just across from my girlfriend and I. A parent sent his lil boy over who was wearing a Alonzo Heat jersey with a little pad and paper. The kid was obviously nervous and a few tables were watching the kid walk towards the Zo's table only to turn around and run back to his parents 2 times. :lol:

Kid finally got up the nerve the third time, approached Zo and asked "Mr. Mourning can I have your autograph?"

Zo was reading a paper at the time and threw it down on the table. He then asked the kid in a demeaning tone, "Do I come to your house and bother you while your eating breakfast kid?" He followed it up with a heartwarming scowl.

The kid turned around and ran back to his parents of course crying.

I had been there the whole time he had and no one had approached him at all until the little kid did so it's not like he was tired of being "harrassed" or anything.

Ever since that day I've always thought of him as a first class heel.

He does have his charity for kids down here now so maybe he's changed a little.

Dude Biz this is crazy, but one of my Zo stories I was talking about.
I was eating at the Pancake house on Sunset in Kendall. This was like 9-10 years ago. Zo was reading the paper we had just gotten spanked by the Knicks(maybe he was pissed) but I was a huge fan. There was not a single person in the restaurant besides him, my mom, and myself. I didn't want to disturb him so I asked the waitress to ask him for his Autograph for my son. No one was even there, he turns around looks at me and gives a dirty look and says "can't I even eat a meal without being harrassed?":eek: :shakeno: :tantrum: Could have been the same day or maybe he doesn't like being bothered at Pancake House's!!!:confused:

finsfanrm said:
Dude Biz this is crazy, but one of my Zo stories I was talking about.
I was eating at the Pancake house on Sunset in Kendall. This was like 9-10 years ago. Zo was reading the paper we had just gotten spanked by the Knicks(maybe he was pissed) but I was a huge fan. There was not a single person in the restaurant besides him, my mom, and myself. I didn't want to disturb him so I asked the waitress to ask him for his Autograph for my son. No one was even there, he turns around looks at me and gives a dirty look and says "can't I even eat a meal without being harrassed?":eek: :shakeno: :tantrum: Could have been the same day or maybe he doesn't like being bothered at Pancake House's!!!:confused:

:lol:

That is crazy bro!

This Original Pancacke House I was in is the North Miami location on US-1 so it wasnt the same.

There is a clear pattern emerging here though, the man loves the pancacke House and he'll bite off the head of anyone who comes in between him and his cakes. :lol:

Ark139954 said:
i know this is about football but i would just like to say thank you to you for letting us actually be able to have watch football and have our everyday lives. i think that people like u r the coolest people anyway. So thanks for fighting for our freedom and God Bless

Thank you for the kind words. One more tidbit. It happens almost invariably that you can have various missions against the enemy and low and behold all the major axis of advances and enemy objective positions are named after either your favorite team or your most hated of teams. Now that I am getting up there, I of course named my positions in my areas route Dolphins, Objective Dolphins ect. BTW, this really trips the NFL players out when they visit...

Wes Welker was very cool also. Last year in San Fran. He was new to the team and was at the team hotel. I saw him in the bar watching his old team play on Saturday. I think it was Texas Tech. He was the only one in the bar. I went in there and just BS'd with him for like a half hour. He was awesome. Got a picture with him, but forgot to get an auto. I know. It's all good, cuz this year in SD I got him to sign the picture of us. I also got another picture with him and my 6 year old son. He's very cool.

My father used to bring home alot of autographs from FIN and opposition players in the 1960s. I was barely 5 at the time when they used to let the fans on the field at the end of the last home game. All these huge players would be pickin me up, signin my program and giving me pads out of their helmets.

As an adult Ive never been much of an autograph hound. The first time I was dissed by a celebrity was the last. I dont approach these people anymore unless its a function where the purpose is to interact with fans, sign autographs or whatever. Sometimes when I get to road games I'll go to the hotel where the FINs stay but I keep my distance and watch others get treated rudely. To much pride and dignity to put myself in a position where someone else can treat me like dirt.

Bryan Cox was one of the nicest 'Fins... at Aloha Stadium during Pro Bowl week practices, he used to go down the entire sideline giving autographs every time he came. The PR people were like "Uh, Bryan, the bus is leaving" and he'd just tell 'um to wait until he got everyone who were waiting for him, Fin fans or not.

The first year JT and Zach came, I had my 99 jersey on, and I came early enough to secure a first row seat. After practice, the both of them went straight for the locker room and I thought, "Oh no, they're not going to sign." Well, after showering, JT comes out and makes a BEELINE straight for me. Never mind that I'm in the second section of the sidelines (5 yd line or so). Never mind that he passes tons of fans calling him. He comes directly to ME! I get his autograph, and he thanks me for my support! A couple of minutes later, Zach comes out, and does the same thing... directly to me!!! I couldn't of been more happier and PROUD of how "my" players treated me that day.

MooreNat89 said:
Biggest jerk I ever met on the Dolphins: Mean Joe Greene. Was at the '95 Super Bowl in Miami (SFran vs. SD), walking through the concourse when I spotted him. Greene was our D-line coach at the time. Asked him to sign a football. He walked away without even looking or acknoledging. No one elese was asking for an autograph. I made a sracastic comment to my friend like "what a great guy". Dude stops in his tracks, turns around and comes up on me with a big scowl on his face! Finally one of his buddies pulls him back and they walk away. What a first class idiot. So glad teh Dolphins denied them a couple more Super Bowls in the early 70's. Ha, No thanks Mean Joe!

Quite the opposite with me. Mean Joe came to th ProBowl as a member of the Dolphin coaching staff back in 92 or 93. I was doing a interview shoot with Leslie O'Neal and Mean Joe comes walking past. I called out to him, and he turns, comes over, and signs a picture I just so happened to have of him. No 'tude or anything, I thank him, and he says, "You bet" and leaves. I ask Leslie about him, and he's got nothing but good things to say about him.

PassRush said:
To be fair, you DO NOT distract a man from his pancakes

To be fair, from those 2 stories, Alonzo's's not a man. Just a wuss. I honestly would have sent him the following note and said, "I don't mind being bothered for my autograph" leaving this on his table:
"Here ***hole!
Signed-(my autograph)"
I know, tough words when he's not here, but seriously, what's he gonna do? Hit me for telling him he's acting like a jerk. Bad day or not, they are little kids. He had a chance to make a great memory for life, and instead gave them a sour taste about it forever.

I was in Tampa for the Dolphins and Bucs sunday night game about 11 years ago I think. I believe it was the final season in the old Tampa stadium. Anyways, my mom and I met some of her friends from work at a hotel a few hours before the game.(cant remember the name. I wanna say marriot but I was 9 years old at the time) The team came downstairs for their pregame meal, and I was amazed at the lack of size of some of the players, like OJ and Zach. I was only 9 but I felt like they werent that much bigger than me. I remember saying to my mom, "these are NFL players?" Dan and JJ were the only ones dressed to impress, with their fancy looking suits on. Every other player was wearing casual clothing. I was disappointed because as the team went back up to there rooms before they were to leave Dan was standing at the elevator, literally 4 feet away from me, and it broke my heart when he politley declined to sign an autograph. I understood in a way bc there were about 25 fans or so that started getting real excited when they all saw him, but the great part about everything was when zach and shawn wooden came up and started signing autographs for everyone. Zach came to me first and you could tell he just has real compassion for his fans and he plays for the fans as much as he plays to win. Thats the feeling he gives off. Very cool guy

He's not a dolphin but the big suprise here would be Jerry Jones of the Cowboys. My brother went down to Dallas for a game with my dad, out comes Jerry out of a Limo on the street. My dad asks for a picture and he not only does that but lets my brother hold to one of his Super Bowl rings and was very down to earth.

Back
Top Bottom