Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

Depends on what sort of a player you are looking for...

Flores tends to prefer guys with the ability to play more than one position on the line... to bounce from End to Tackle and back again...

This is the very description of both Paye and Rousseau. They MATCH what Flores does.
Could be. I can't say whether Rousseau will be a good NFL player or not. But have to trust that Flores knows what he's looking for.

Perhaps doubling up at the position makes sense as well, but maybe middle rounds.

I think #36 is where I'd target Humphrey and solidify the center spot long term.

If we go defense early, one guy I don't want is Rousseau! Daniel Jeremiah has his new mock (3.0) out and has us taking him at #18. Jeremiah says he bases his mock on what he hears in NFL circles. After learning more about Rousseau from Jon Ledyard (Pewter Report) on The Reid Option podcast, I would be seriously pissed off if we took him in round 1! Heck, I am pissed off right now just seeing it on his mock. I sure hope Rousseau to the Dolphins is not one of the few picks he gets right. Ledyard is a tough grader and has Rousseau as a mid to late-round pick. Ledyard did have some nice things to say about Phillips, though, and said he is his only first-rounder. Note: he's not grading medical. Just what he sees on the field. Phillips has had some problems with concussions, so that is a concern. If they checked out, then I would probably be okay with the pick at #18, but it's a, "oh, hell naw!" from me on Rousseau.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-49ers-go-all-in-on-mac-jones

If we go defense early, one guy I don't want is Rousseau! Daniel Jeremiah has his new mock (3.0) out and has us taking him at #18. Jeremiah says he bases his mock on what he hears in NFL circles. After learning more about Rousseau from Jon Ledyard (Pewter Report) on The Reid Option podcast, I would be seriously pissed off if we took him in round 1! Heck, I am pissed off right now just seeing it on his mock. I sure hope Rousseau to the Dolphins is not one of the few picks he gets right. Ledyard is a tough grader and has Rousseau as a mid to late-round pick. Ledyard did have some nice things to say about Phillips, though, and said he is his only first-rounder. Note: he's not grading medical. Just what he sees on the field. Phillips has had some problems with concussions, so that is a concern. If they checked out, then I would probably be okay with the pick at #18, but it's a, "oh, hell naw!" from me on Rousseau.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-49ers-go-all-in-on-mac-jones
I'd be pretty disappointed if it were Rousseau too. Phillips excites me but those concussions are a serious concern. I agree there are no sure things at edge this year. I just feel we desperately need help in the pass rush area...someone who can win 1-on-1 so we don't need to blitz all the time.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking the Fins could surprise and go D with more of their high picks than we expect. What would you think of something like this?

6 - D. Smith
18 - Paye or Jaelan Phillips (Edge)
36 - Elijah Molden (S/CB)
50 - Jabril Cox or Baron Browning (LB)
81 - Gainwell, K. Hill, or T. Sermon
156 - OL depth like Aaron Banks (?)

The Fins may figure with a clean bill of health and a complete offseason from Tua, he should improve along with a young OL that started 3 rookies.

You'd have WR Fuller/Parker/DeVonta, TE Gesicki, and Gainwell (or other rookie) / Gaskin.

The D last year was solid overall, but it was very opportunistic and probably not as good as we thought. Buffalo pretty much exposed it twice last season and that's the team we need to beat. This kind of draft would improve both sides of the ball and give Miami a better shot of dealing with Buffalo I think.
You want to go heavy on d? Good luck with that. I would never want to go heavy on d.

The single most important goal of 2021 has to be seeing if Tua can play with Zero Excuses for failure if he fails.
Also, I really believe that Murphys Law bends you over if you dont kill the fly with a sledgehammer.
Our 2 most important needs to honor my priority are WR and OL. Time to throw and open guys to throw to.
If we dont get that star WR, it almost guarantees our WR room will be an injury-rattled shell again. If we dont back up OL, we will be ravaged by injuries to the OL.
Simply put, the areas youre most vulnerable are the areas you suffer the most misfortune.
Dolphins and 'Murphys Law' are bedfellows.
Re: OLine, I think 3rd/4th round guys could certainly get'r'done because I do think our OL youth was 'served' last year and a healthy Jackson/Flowers/Skura/Kindley/Hunt will be good enough because of the growth from last year...but at least 3 of these guys should be getting pushed hard by our 'depth' guys. C in the first 5 picks is an absolute necessity and Id even accept a small 'reach' here to facilitate it.

The more of these threads I read, the more I feel that using any pick on RB through the first 4 rounds is a luxury we cant afford.
We badly need depth at OT, we need a starter at DE, we need another starter at WR, we need to Draft an NFL Starting C, even if he just backs up Skura most of 2021, we could use an actual FS for once, and more.

If KC had used their 1st Round Pick on an OT vs a RB, they could've won the SB. Could've. Edwards-Helaire helped them not one bit.

You want to go heavy on d? Good luck with that. I would never want to go heavy on d.
Well I could really go 2 ways.

Yes, I know we badly need playmakers on O. However, if we take one of the blue chippers at #6, and we already added Will Fuller, we probably don't NEED to draft another WR. We could take a solid RB in Round 3 for example, and it could look like this:

WR - Fuller, Parker, (Chase, Smith or Waddle), and then let Preston Williams, Bowden, Wilson, Jakeem battle over final spots.
TE - Gesicki, Smythe/Shaheen
RB - (Gainwell, Sermon, etc.), Gaskin

With Tua fully healed an some experience and camp, he should also be much better (same goes for the young OL). The rest of the Day 1 and Day 2 picks could shore up the D...guys like Z. Collins, J. Phillips/C. Basham, J. Holland, etc. I feel we need something to help us against Buffalo's O. I'm tired of Allen looking like Mahomes against us every game.

Now the other option I could actually go for is to say, "Screw the D and we'll focus more on that next year...let's go all in on O." If this were the case, I could also be down with something like:

1. Chase/Smith/Waddle (assuming Pitts is gone)
1b. Teven Jenkins (move Hunt to RG)
2. Javonte Williams [or Elijah Moore for example]
2b. Creed Humphrey
3. Amari Rodgers/Shi Smith/Tutu Atwell, etc. [or Trey Sermon or Kenneth Gainwell for example, if we picked Moore in 2nd round)

Our D would still probably get blown out by the Bills, but our O-line would be greatly improved and we'd pick up some nice skill players.

I listened to the Xs and Omar broadcast today while I was driving...

And it was a microcosm of the debate that we are having here on Finheaven. Dave Hyde took the, "we have to use the draft to do every single thing we can do to help Tua" tack, while Omar argued that our single biggest need was for edge players, and that the best thing we could do to help Tua would be to draft another lineman and a powerful running back.

They both spoke their piece, and the two of them like each other, so the discussion was entertaining. This was, by far, the most I've ever enjoyed any podcast that I've ever heard. (I'm not a podcast fan)

Some random things: Neither man thought we should draft a Center early. Both like the Miami Edge players, preferring Phillips, but leery of his concussions. Both like Najee Harris and discussed when would be the time to pull the trigger. They spent a lot of time on Pitts and 'position less football'.

I certainly did not agree with all of their conclusions but found, once again... that I think the two of them get a very bad rap here at FH. They were fun and came across as motivated fans.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty disappointed if it were Rousseau too. Phillips excites me but those concussions are a serious concern. I agree there are no sure things at edge this year. I just feel we desperately need help in the pass rush area...someone who can win 1-on-1 so we don't need to blitz all the time.
I agree that we need help with our pass rush, but I prefer that we don't force it. I think we will be a much better team in the long run if we go BPA in the early rounds instead of reaching for guys. It's not like we don't need talent everywhere.

I agree that we need help with our pass rush, but I prefer that we don't force it. I think we will be a much better team in the long run if we go BPA in the early rounds instead of reaching for guys. It's not like we don't need talent everywhere.
What makes you think that BPA isn't an edge exactly? I'm curious.

Most of these guys are graded quite highly by the better scouts.

For comparison purposes... I went to NFL.com and used the NFL's own rating guru's ratings (Lance Zierlein).

Oweh #19
Ojulari #22
Paye #26
Phillips #28
Collins #29

These guys are right within the BPA location for a pick at 18 (or a slight trade down).

I would draft whatever is best player on board. Not worry about need with pick 18 that is how you get charles harris 2.
FACTS! We actually have a solid squad before the draft so no need to reach on a player of need. Just go with the best talent

For comparison purposes... I went to NFL.com and used the NFL's own rating guru's ratings (Lance Zierlein).

Oweh #19
Ojulari #22
Paye #26
Phillips #28
Collins #29

These guys are right within the BPA location for a pick at 18 (or a slight trade down).

I know you know this, but that's likely not Miami's board. Some of those names may be nowhere close to #18. That's my problem with BPA. Matter of fact, at #18 I haven't the vaguest idea who or what position they'll take

Back
Top Bottom