Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

Brooks and Ross have a video up at NFL.com.

Their design for the Dolphins

1a: Pitts
1b: Rousseau
2a: Joe Tryon
2b: Javonte Williams

This isn't a fringe opinion.

The Dolphins may not do this, but this isn't a longshot.

I've been suggesting that this may be coming for quite some time now.

A narrative developed at Finheaven, a narrative that said we just HAD to take four or five offensive players at the top of the draft. This narrative swore that you could only win with great offense in today's NFL... but that's all it is, a narrative.

The fact that a Chiefs team that was just teeming with weapons only got 9 points in the super bowl when they ran into a team with a better defense, and a better line is being downplayed, and outright ignored by many. They don't want to hear it... they crave excitement, and anything that denies them the ability to put up 35 points per game (and lose anyway), is ignored by many.

I'm not crazy about the specific players in your example, but I do think that at least 2 of the 5 high picks will be on the defensive side... and three wouldn't surprise me.
It almost has to be. Miami has a significant hole at DE. That needs to be added.

Look, I put out a post about going heavy on offense. I wanted to see what the Dolphins could get, if they could put an elite team together on that side of the ball.

But in reality, Miami has to find a pass rusher pretty early.

I actually had two quality defenders sliding back in my mock and have us taking both.
If Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah isn't there at 36 I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a Safety off the board at 36.

So yeah I do think we pick up some defense early, because the way I see the draft falling I think those football players are that much better than the rest.

Grier isn't one for trading up, so keep that in mind when it comes to the draft trade talk. He's traded up just once so far, out of all the trades made. It seems as if he prefers to aquire picks not sell them. It also suggest he may have, targeted a group of potential draftees at #6? Time will tell all over the 3 days of the draft.

Grier isn't one for trading up, so keep that in mind when it comes to the draft trade talk. He's traded up just once so far, out of all the trades made. It seems as if he prefers to aquire picks not sell them. It also suggest he may have, targeted a group of potential draftees at #6? Time will tell all over the 3 days of the draft.

i recall he traded up for Solomon Kindley last year and he traded from #12 to #6 this year.

i recall he traded up for Solomon Kindley last year and he traded from #12 to #6 this year.
Yes, the value was there, in his eyes. But thats twice in all the moves he's made. He's also stated he prefers to have 10 or more draft selections in every draft moving forward.

We have a defensive minded coach/staff who “reached”, so to speak, for Igbinoghene in the 1st and Davis in the 2nd last year. They took Wilkins in the 1st in 2019. If we make no more trades, history suggests that at least 1 or possibly 2 of our top 4 picks could be defense. It all depends on who is available when we pick.
My guess is three of those top 50 on offense and one on defense, probably at pick #18.

I could see two and two with Flores valuing defense.

I don't know if there's another pass rusher in free agency that would be an upgrade, but that's a must right now.

well going defense with one of the top 4 picks is not something I'd consider going heavy on defense. I don't expect us to draft 8 players on offense and none on defense. But I do expect 3 of the top 4 picks to be used on offense.
That's exactly what I expect too.

A pass rusher is, unfortunately, a glaring need in a draft full of questions at that position.

Do you gamble on a good player with multiple concussions like Phillips?

Do you gamble on Oweh, who has rare explosion numbers but is very raw?

What about Rousseau, who lacks explosive qualities, but did produce?

I was really hoping Miami would solve its pass rush in free agency, but Grier is going to have to take a chance somewhere. Hopefully, it will work out.

That makes complete sense. But does it look like that's what Miami is about to do? Fuller just got signed to a prove-it, Parker, Grant and Wilson are still here (not to mention the 10 other guys), we extended Shaheen (I'll ignore the kid Carter we signed), we have a 2020 first round left tackle, a 2020 second round right tackle a 2020 third round RG and we just signed a center on another prove-it. We picked up a short-yardage power back and still have Gaskin and Ahmed plus the others.

I'm not saying we're in good shape by any means. I'm not saying we won't pick up some offensive weapons like WR, RB and OC. I just don't think the moves reflect a draft that's going to be all O, or even exclusively O at the top.

I don't think Flo likes our safety room , we have Nik Needham on the field like 30% of the time (tho Coleman may sort that out), we cleared out our edge options to a degree. We tried to sign another DT but didn't get it done.

The tealeaves tell the storey of a draft with a fair slice of D in it.
That's a great point.

I like the Fuller signing, but was also somewhat surprised that Miami elected to spend there with a loaded wide receiver draft.

Miami is in a position where they have to get a pass rusher. I agree with you that Flores wants a better option at safety as well.

That's exactly what I expect too.

A pass rusher is, unfortunately, a glaring need in a draft full of questions at that position.

Do you gamble on a good player with multiple concussions like Phillips?

Do you gamble on Oweh, who has rare explosion numbers but is very raw?

What about Rousseau, who lacks explosive qualities, but did produce?

I was really hoping Miami would solve its pass rush in free agency, but Grier is going to have to take a chance somewhere. Hopefully, it will work out.
It will be a gamble and as such, I'd not do it in the first round. It's ok to take a gamble but don't do it with your high picks.

I actually had two quality defenders sliding back in my mock and have us taking both.
If Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah isn't there at 36 I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a Safety off the board at 36.

So yeah I do think we pick up some defense early, because the way I see the draft falling I think those football players are that much better than the rest.a
Maybe Holland. Flores was at his pro day. Wonder if he makes it to pick #50?

First off, there's no question Miami needs to add playmakers. I think we can all agree to that.

The draft is also loaded with more offensive talent than defensive talent. I always believe in drafting to the strength of the draft, if that makes sense.

But to play devils advocate, and add to the discussion, two of the last three super bowl champions didn't allow a touchdown in the super bowl.

In a day when all the talk is offense, the Rams scored 3 points against New England and the Chiefs were held to 9 against Tampa Bay.

I believe that's only happened five or six times in the Super Bowl and the others were in the 1970's when the rules were tilted toward the defense.

In other words, defense still counts.

Back
Top Bottom