Could Fins go heavy on D early? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Fins go heavy on D early?

Ideally I would prefer we would go 3 O and 1 D with our first 4 picks, but 2 and 2 could definitely happen. Pick 6 will almost certainly be O, but if the best pick at 18 is a CB do they consider moving Jones to safety, or would his salary not justify it? Not really sure tbh, but pick 18 if it was D then you could potentially go C in round 2 and the other round 2 and the round 3 picks being WR and RB, depending on where the value is.

I have a STRONG feeling the Dolphins will draft Micah Parsons at 6. We have a million WRs on the roster and Gesicki at TE. However when you look at our LBs, there are a lot of question marks and no one locked up to a long term deal. We also don't have a LB on the roster that brings his level of flexibility.

To give up a 1st next year to move up 6 spots seems to be something you would do for A guy, not some guys. I think that guy is Parsons.

Brooks and Ross have a video up at NFL.com.

Their design for the Dolphins

1a: Pitts
1b: Rousseau
2a: Joe Tryon
2b: Javonte Williams

This isn't a fringe opinion.

The Dolphins may not do this, but this isn't a longshot.

I saw that as well. Pretty interesting. Not really sold on Rousseau, although they were comparing him to JPP.

I'd love us to go Onwuzurike and play him at DE. More dynamic replacement for Lawson and one of the best players in the draft. With Biegel, AVG and the other LBs we may get away with the rush tools we have (injuries aside, which is a massive 'if'). In some drafts he's still around at 36, which to me is incredible.

I have a STRONG feeling the Dolphins will draft Micah Parsons at 6. We have a million WRs on the roster and Gesicki at TE. However when you look at our LBs, there are a lot of question marks and no one locked up to a long term deal. We also don't have a LB on the roster that brings his level of flexibility.

To give up a 1st next year to move up 6 spots seems to be something you would do for A guy, not some guys. I think that guy is Parsons.
Could be. It seems like he could have been there at #12, but maybe GM's don't see it that way.

I saw that as well. Pretty interesting. Not really sold on Rousseau, although they were comparing him to JPP.
Rousseau kicked ass in a good conference... at 19.

He got many of his sacks while lined up at DT on passing downs, which means that his moves are currently power-based. As he ages, and as he learns more moves, I expect his numbers to climb further.

Rousseau kicked *** in a good conference... at 19.

He got many of his sacks while lined up at DT on passing downs, which means that his moves are currently power-based. As he ages, and as he learns more moves, I expect his numbers to climb further.
That is true. More ways to get sacks than with speed. His explosion numbers aren't impressive, though, and that has to be a concern.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm thinking the Fins could surprise and go D with more of their high picks than we expect. What would you think of something like this?

6 - D. Smith
18 - Paye or Jaelan Phillips (Edge)
36 - Elijah Molden (S/CB)
50 - Jabril Cox or Baron Browning (LB)
81 - Gainwell, K. Hill, or T. Sermon
156 - OL depth like Aaron Banks (?)

The Fins may figure with a clean bill of health and a complete offseason from Tua, he should improve along with a young OL that started 3 rookies.

You'd have WR Fuller/Parker/DeVonta, TE Gesicki, and Gainwell (or other rookie) / Gaskin.

The D last year was solid overall, but it was very opportunistic and probably not as good as we thought. Buffalo pretty much exposed it twice last season and that's the team we need to beat. This kind of draft would improve both sides of the ball and give Miami a better shot of dealing with Buffalo I think.

I expect WR at #6 (or 8 or . . . ). after that, I wouldn't be shocked with two Ds in the next 3 picks, but I'm inclined not. UNLESS someone falls and Miami is gifted a top D. Predicting drafts after top 8>10 is exceedingly difficult. Still, I think Miami goes mostly O.

That is true. More ways to get sacks than with speed. His explosion numbers aren't impressive, though, and that has to be a concern.
Depends on what sort of a player you are looking for...

Flores tends to prefer guys with the ability to play more than one position on the line... to bounce from End to Tackle and back again...

This is the very description of both Paye and Rousseau. They MATCH what Flores does.

I expect WR at #6 (or 8 or . . . ). after that, I wouldn't be shocked with two Ds in the next 3 picks, but I'm inclined not. UNLESS someone falls and Miami is gifted a top D. Predicting drafts after top 8>10 is exceedingly difficult. Still, I think Miami goes mostly O.
Good teams are flexible in the draft just in case talent drops, like you suggested. What if Barmore is there at #18 as an example? The Dolphins are set at DT, but he could potentially be better than anyone of them on the roster.

Yes, the value was there, in his eyes. But thats twice in all the moves he's made. He's also stated he prefers to have 10 or more draft selections in every draft moving forward.

Currently have 8 picks in this year's draft IIRC?

If that's the case then Carolina, Denver, or someone in the early teens might be "giddy" for the 6th pick.

Was watching KJZ on ESPN this morning getting ready for work and a caller who lived in NC stated that the Panthers should trade up for Pitts. You figure hey they pick 8 and we pick at 6 so another possible trade down to accumulate more picks isn't farfetched.

You win the prediction prize if that happens. I understand the love for the player but given the trade they made to get McKinney and moving back up from 12 suggests this is for a pass catcher.

Back
Top Bottom