Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR?

I don't know if Perry is good enough to make it in the NFL. Maybe his shortness in height and lack of speed are too much to overcome (although I can remember when Jarvis with a top LSU pedigree was considered simply too slow). However, for just a 7th round Draft pick, Perry is an interesting development prospect to consider. While most NFL observers probably dismiss the Army vs Navy games as garbage because it is predominantly running the ball, it might surprise some to learn that the game is taken very seriously at West Point and Annapolis and by the alumni. Malcolm Perry is a product of this culture. He is tough and he is extremely smart. My hunch is still that Grier and Flores think that they may use his skills for certain plays (maybe special teams). He is the type of player Bill Belichick would probably try to sign as an undrafted free agent and all we used was a 7th round pick. Low downside, interesting potential upside. Go Malcolm!
What Perry lacks in speed, he makes up for with his shiftiness. I can see DB's coming up to the line and jam him though, he will have to work on that area. His size definitely wont help him there, but there have been plenty of smaller WR's who have found success.

Let's be honest if the Jets, Bills or Patriots were talking about going into the season with Grant, Merritt, Perry, Ford and Jennings as key parts of their receiving corp... Shaheen, Myarick and Smyth at tight end... and Ballage, Gaskin and Laird as their rb depth and a oline full of rookie talent would we really be shaking in our boots? Sure some of them might surprise and turn out to be decent but as a whole that's a weak looking NFL roster. Those skill players could be challenged by a group of the leagues top practice squad players at their respected positions. Not saying I'm not wishing them the best and hoping they shine with their opportunities, but as a unit they aren't overwhelming.
No doubt. But Miami is also in the rebuilding mode. New England and Buffalo are expecting to make the playoffs and possibly have a deep run.

Moving forward, I would prioritize getting a wide receiver, maybe a right tackle depending on Robert Hunt's play, maybe a center. Some depth at tight end. That's not even talking about potential defensive needs.

Gosh that video is depressing. It has nothing to do with Ford though, who looked really good in that video. But man does that remind me of just how terrible our line is/was. Fitzpatrick is the real star of those videos, he's a fricking magician at getting the ball off when most QB's who have played this game simply couldn't do that...even really good ones who are partially good because they are on good teams who can protect them and enable their success. And I watched last season so I know what's in these clips wasn't an aberration...I just forgot how bad it really looked. It's no wonder why Rosen didn't light the world on fire. And there are some on here who really think a golden but fragile QB from Alabama can magically come in and produce with a line that's added mostly projects?

Ford looked nice though. He is simply always available for the QB and ready for the ball. You can't teach that and it's a skill that separates the athletes from the NFL receivers.

Gosh that video is depressing. It has nothing to do with Ford though, who looked really good in that video. But man does that remind me of just how terrible our line is/was. Fitzpatrick is the real star of those videos, he's a fricking magician at getting the ball off when most QB's who have played this game simply couldn't do that...even really good ones who are partially good because they are on good teams who can protect them and enable their success. And I watched last season so I know what's in these clips wasn't an aberration...I just forgot how bad it really looked. It's no wonder why Rosen didn't light the world on fire. And there are some on here who really think a golden but fragile QB from Alabama can magically come in and produce with a line that's added mostly projects?

Ford looked nice though. He is simply always available for the QB and ready for the ball. You can't teach that and it's a skill that separates the athletes from the NFL receivers.
Yeah....

Not going to break a lot of tackles, but I think he is a good "move the chains", posession guy.

I don't see him as, primarily, a slot though.

Assuming he stays healthy, the Hurns and Wilson announcements pretty much guarantee Perry makes the roster. The funny thing is that the down the line effect of this is that Ballage probably makes the roster as well.

Dude was a 7th rd pick who hasn't even really practice in the NFL. The guy is guaranteed nothing except a chance to compete with UDFAs for a roster spot that opened up. Guys who have sure NFL roster talent are drafted before the 7th rd.

We've got a 10 picks as of now, with 4 in the first 2 rounds.

No need to trade for a WR. We've got plenty of young guys that, while unheralded, have many of us excited to see what they can do.

We definitely need a WR core upgrade but I would rather that come from either developing guys on the roster or through the draft.

With so many questions regarding the future of the salary cap, I would prefer to see if we can build this group in as frugal a manner as possible. And that sentiment is not limited to our WR's.

Until we know what the future will look like there, I don't really want us taking on many pre-Covid salaries. What looked like a fair deal during last season could easily look like an overpay compared to what we might be able to get in FA next off season.

But this is the issue with having no preseason. I may feel differently once we get to see them in action. If we are really struggling, I might not be opposed to a low cost trade to add depth.

Last edited:
I think there are enough options in house. Grant, Merritt, Perry, Ford and Jennings. Maybe add a waiver wire type, but I wouldn't trade draft picks.

Again depth, it’s a concern. Whether those players step up or not you have to account for injuries. No one stays healthy in the NFL. We are down two players now at that position

All that being stated, I never saw Perry as anything but a practice squad player going into camp. Now with Wilson and Hurns opting out for the season, Perry might end up as the 6th WR on the roster if they decide to keep 6 and he shows he can play the position at the NFL level. I will be surprised if he gets much playing time even if he does end up on the 53 man roster.
He was a 7th round draft pick. That means no other team thought enough of him to draft him earlier in the draft. I would love to see Perry make the team and contribute. Perhaps with Hurns and a Wilson opting out, that will make it possible for him to make the team but he isn’t one of the top RB’s or WR’s on the roster, IMO. So unless they have a lot of injuries at those position or players at those positions are put on the Covid list, I just don’t see him getting much playing time this season.

Again depth, it’s a concern. Whether those players step up or not you have to account for injuries. No one stays healthy in the NFL. We are down two players now at that position
Pretty slim pickings for free agents. Anyone out there you like that wouldn't cost a draft pick?

Pretty slim pickings for free agents. Anyone out there you like that wouldn't cost a draft pick?
Actually not sure off the top of my head. Problem is from what I’ve seen there isn’t much out there. This regime has actually been good at coaching unknowns up. With that said they are going to have to poach cheap free agents or practice squad players and hope for the best. Not against making a trade but it would really have to be one sided in our favor and those are rare trades so I don’t see that happening, but we do need a few more bodies to compete at the position to round out the roster. Parker really took a step forward last year but he has been brittle and Preston is a question mark at this point.

I say no to any trade. Just isn't anyone i see out there that can be traded for a 6th or less that will do more good than what we have in camp at this time.

Jennings and Ford make the team for sure now in my mind. We go into the season with Parker, Williams, Grant, Ford, Jennings and Perry listed as WR. I'm good with that.

The UDFA's that we signed definitely have a better shot to get some games in this season now too seeing as we can activate two from the PS each game if I am correct.

Back
Top Bottom