Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR?

Get Landry back.

Losing Hurns/Wilson
Gaining Landry

Advantage: Landry playing slot would instantly make this WR crew MUCH better than Wilson/Hurns. IMO

Make the deal. Landry wants to come back.

When did Landry say he wanted to be back? Anyway, I don’t see Flores wanting to coach him

Let the chips fall where they may this year. We aren't contending for a Superbowl just yet. I think we really start to make a move next year so I don't think they should worry about a slot WR. Just use the next man up mentality and see who becomes available as a FA.

Seriously? You make no sense there. Yes, we need to worry about a slot WR, as a matter of fact any WR. We have another who opts out we‘re real thin. Actually pretty thin right now.

Are we really thick at tightend? Gesicki, Smyth, Shaheen, Myarick... Smyth hasn't been overly impressive, SHaheen has been viewed as a bust and Myarick has never made a regular season roster. Seeing that the team is likely to keep 4 tightends again I think we're pretty thin at the moment. Right now Miami has a receiving tight end and 3 question marks. If Jake Butt doesn't make the Broncos and he seems to be reasonably healthy I would add him to the roster. I might also consider Jeff Hauerman, who has also had health issues in his career and was recently released by the Broncos.
Yes, I think we are thick at TE. You need to consider other teams TE situations. We have one good young starter as a move TE, and lots of the next tier of guys.

If KJ Hill doesn't make the Chargers roster or even KJ Osborn with the VIkings, I would interested in taking a look at them as rookie slot receivers. My favorite realistic move would be to steal Dante Pettis from the 49ers.
I think KJ Hill will make their team

I dont get all the Perry love on here. A 5-9 WR who ran a 4.65. I know these #'s arent everything, but he just seems like a bubble player to me.
Did you watch him in any Navy games? He's good and he has some different skills. Don't just look at his 40 time, watch how he consistently baffled and evaded his defensive opponents even when they knew he was running the ball. He has the ability to read the situation and change direction in a nanosecond. He has great balance and can take a hit. Navy's a team that runs the ball an extremely high percentage of plays and he was the 5'9" QB who rarely threw the ball. Let's see how he goes in the pros.
BTW - He's also very intelligent (quantitative Economics major at the Naval Academy), high character and trained by the best to be a leader. As a senior, he set various Navy and NCAA records, including the most rushing yards by a quarterback in a season (2,017 rushing yards), and was named American Athletic Conference (AAC) Offensive Player of the Year. Not bad for a 7th round Draft pick. He didn't even play WR in college, methinks Coach Flores and GM Chris Grier have a specific plan how to utilize him for certain plays.

Last edited:
I have a different take on this than I have seen posted here.

Lets talk value and how it relates to need.

Slot WRs are not generally considered to be first round targets in the NFL draft. Oh there might be a guy now and then who sneaks into the bottom of the round, but generally they are 2nd round and later. ...and this is when you are looking to draft a player who will be with you for 5-8 years.

We are looking (at best) for a rental. A rental that, let's be honest, we might not even get to use if the NFL season goes nipples up.

So... OF COURSE WE SHOULD NOT BE LOOKING TO TRADE FOR A SLOT WR!!!!

Holy mother of pigskin no, we are NOT in the market to trade for a hand me down guy in a highly endangered season. Pick up a guy from waivers? Maybe. Throw a conditional 7th rounder for guy who failed somewhere else? Sure.

But trade a real asset for an afterthought... in a doomed season... not just no, but HELL no.

Seriously? You make no sense there. Yes, we need to worry about a slot WR, as a matter of fact any WR. We have another who opts out we‘re real thin. Actually pretty thin right now.
Im saying no need to trade for a slot WR and give up assets when we aren’t going to win the Super Bowl this year anyways.
What’s so hard to understand?

This year is too transitional and bizarre for me to consider spending any heavy asset on a rental. It's one thing to drop a conditional late round pick on a guy to fill out the roster and help the team's development, its another thing to target a big name guy. Work the waiver wire; kick the tires on some of the veterans still without a team; and if that fails then look to acquire someone cheaply.

Another article talking about Perry being asked to learn slot.

Im saying no need to trade for a slot WR and give up assets when we aren’t going to win the Super Bowl this year anyways.
What’s so hard to understand?
Actually nothing in your post says anything about “trade” for a WR. So don’t spin and make things up. Your post says that we shouldn’t be concerned in so many words. Like I said you couldn’t be more wrong. And as far as a trade, I’m not proposing one but if something miraculously fell into our laps that made sense I’m not going to shy away from one. Do you understand now???

Back
Top Bottom