Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could the Dolphins do a trade now for a slot WR?

Let the chips fall where they may this year. We aren't contending for a Superbowl just yet. I think we really start to make a move next year so I don't think they should worry about a slot WR. Just use the next man up mentality and see who becomes available as a FA.

1) I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic about a full season.
2) that said, 2nd level WRS will likely be playing against 2nd level DBs. I see no need for a trade

Given how thick we are at TE, I suspect we'll bring in more journeymen WR types rather than trade-worthy guys. This probably means that Mike Gesicki definitely gets a bunch of targets in the slot, and if he does well, he'll become a main-stay of this offense. WR's get injured ... especially Dolphin WR's, so they'll all get their chance. It might even get peripheral TE's like Adam Shaheen a fair number of targets to prove they can be two-way guys.

If KJ Hill doesn't make the Chargers roster or even KJ Osborn with the VIkings, I would interested in taking a look at them as rookie slot receivers. My favorite realistic move would be to steal Dante Pettis from the 49ers.

Given how thick we are at TE, I suspect we'll bring in more journeymen WR types rather than trade-worthy guys. This probably means that Mike Gesicki definitely gets a bunch of targets in the slot, and if he does well, he'll become a main-stay of this offense. WR's get injured ... especially Dolphin WR's, so they'll all get their chance. It might even get peripheral TE's like Adam Shaheen a fair number of targets to prove they can be two-way guys.

Are we really thick at tightend? Gesicki, Smyth, Shaheen, Myarick... Smyth hasn't been overly impressive, SHaheen has been viewed as a bust and Myarick has never made a regular season roster. Seeing that the team is likely to keep 4 tightends again I think we're pretty thin at the moment. Right now Miami has a receiving tight end and 3 question marks. If Jake Butt doesn't make the Broncos and he seems to be reasonably healthy I would add him to the roster. I might also consider Jeff Hauerman, who has also had health issues in his career and was recently released by the Broncos.

Last edited:
Are we really thick at tightend? Gesicki, Smyth, Shaheen, Myarick... Smyth hasn't been overly impressive, SHaheen has been viewed as a bust and Myarick has never mad a regular season roster. Seeing that the team is likely to keep 4 tightends again I think we're pretty thin at the moment. Right now Miami has a receiving tight end and 3 question marks. If Jake Butt doesn't make the Broncos and he seems to be reasonably healthy I would add him to the roster. I might also consider Jeff Hauerman, who has also had health issues in his career and was recently released by the Broncos.

I couldn't even remember who we had at TE besides Gesicki and the recently acquired Shaheen when I read that post. We've got Gesicki and bodies.

If KJ Hill doesn't make the Chargers roster or even KJ Osborn with the VIkings, I would interested in taking a look at them as rookie slot receivers. My favorite realistic move would be to steal Dante Pettis from the 49ers.

Why? Pettis is another jag

I'd think Miami will somehow find a veteran WR to come in and compete for a backup spot. The Jets released a decent WR in Quincy Enunwa, but unfortunately it was due to a failed physical. He's a good player. Wonder if Miami takes a chance?

When healthy he is decent. But he is rarely healthy. Which begs the question, why him?

Why? Pettis is another jag

I think he's better than he's looked in his two seasons with the 49ers. Good route runner, punt return skills and decent hands. I think in the right situation he could be a decent 3rd or 4th receiver.

I think he's better than he's looked in his two seasons with the 49ers. Good route runner, punt return skills and decent hands. I think in the right situation he could be a decent 3rd or 4th receiver.

What is the upside for that? I don't see the value.

I would rather take a chance, and use the season to develop a guy.

What is the upside for that? I don't see the value.

I would rather take a chance, and use the season to develop a guy.

It all depends, I know not everyone will agree with me and I could be wrong, but I think Pettis has more potential than Ford, Perry or Merrit. I'm not sure about Jennings, I think he could be pretty good too. I would rather spend the year developng Pettis than Perry or Merrit. I think Ford will be a contributor on the roster and is ok for a depth guy, but just think Pettis is better. I think the 49ers overdrafted him, using a 2nd round pick in 2018 and are now regretting it and looking to dump him for pennies on the dollar. He should have been a 4th or 5th round pick with more reasonable expectations.

Last edited:
Kirk Merritt
Matt Cole
Isaiah Ford
Mack Hollins
Gary Jennings

One or two of these men have to be hungry to earn a roster spot. Let them compete, Im sure one will step up.

Edit.. Almost forgot Malcom Perry.

Perry is listed as a running back

Back
Top Bottom