Could Vontae Davis be as good as Revis? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Vontae Davis be as good as Revis?

Vontae reminds me more of Winfield than Revis. I dont think he will ever have the elite cover skills Revis does, but Revis wont come up and support the run the way Davis does.

I was thinking this, his body and skill set remind me more of Antonie Winfield than Revis.

Revis is great but his body and skills (at least at the moment) are different. Revis is gifted in pass coverage and a good solid tackler but normally is just out on the best guy doing his best to take them out of the game which he does very well, and his is a big guy but his body is full Vontae at least right now is just ripped out of his mind and might one day be a CB at like 215. Vontae is a BIG physical guy who is elite in run support, i can remember 2 or 3 times that opposing teams did bubble or just a RB screen and Davis came like a heat seeking missile to blow the play up for negative yardage. His coverage is very good but he can be too aggressive and tries to make a big play, Revis has learned when to be aggressive and therefore he breaks up and gets his hands on alot of passes.

Revis right now is better, in 2 or 3 years i think they will be side by side or something very close to it

VD is not at Revis level as a cover corner but Revis does not hit like VD... Revis on another planet? Like some of the Green Misionaries to our board say Revis may very well be traded to another team because he is quickly getting on your FOs nerves with frequent Hold outs..., on a another team maybe but he is not on another planet. If he were, wouldn't he be signed already? Biggest over-hype in the league thanks to your coaches big trunk of a mouth.

Anyways you blitz like you do it's high risk high reward. So far it is good on Revis, how can he be in the Champ Bailey conversation of elite cover corners without playing 8-10 years at a high level? Revis is very much on this planet.

Who cares how hard a Corner can hit? Revis is a sure tackler and excellent against the run as well as well as the pass.

yes, no one w/ eye could see how dominat revis was. It is all thanks to our coach speaking the truth:rolleyes2:

Revis obviously has to prove he can be an elite corenr for years top come before he becomes HOF caliber BUT his 2009 season was the best the NFL has seen in a long time and better than any season from Champ Bailey.

To compare Vontae Davis to Darrelle Revis is as laughable as it gets.

NO. And its a silly question

Asking the question IS Vontae as good as Revis is laughable....but the OP asked COULD he be as good as Revis...not so laughable.

Who cares how hard a Corner can hit? Revis is a sure tackler and excellent against the run as well as well as the pass.

yes, no one w/ eye could see how dominat revis was. It is all thanks to our coach speaking the truth:rolleyes2:

Revis obviously has to prove he can be an elite corenr for years top come before he becomes HOF caliber BUT his 2009 season was the best the NFL has seen in a long time and better than any season from Champ Bailey.

I would still take Champ Bailey of 4 years ago over Revis. Bailey has proven himself on a team where bliting 8 guys was frowned apon. Bailey in his prime on last years Jets would of had a better year IMO. Bailey has had comparable years in the past, not as good but pretty damn good on a team that didn't blitz as much,.

I would still take Champ Bailey of 4 years ago over Revis. Bailey has proven himself on a team where bliting 8 guys was frowned apon. Bailey in his prime on last years Jets would of had a better year IMO. Bailey has had comparable years in the past, not as good but pretty damn good on a team that didn't blitz as much,.

Revis was still a top corner 2 years ago when we didn't blitz as much and all that blitzing could hurt a corner in one on one situations especially when that blitz is picked up.

Revis was still a top corner 2 years ago when we didn't blitz as much and all that blitzing could hurt a corner in one on one situations especially when that blitz is picked up.

2 years ago Revis was a rookie. He wasn't a top cover corner then, he had the potential but he wasn't. Your right it coud hurt a CB but it could help them as much as it hurts them.

I'm in no wayy hating on Revis, dude is a baller best in the NFL but Bailey 4 years ago IMO was better. & Revis, just sign already

2 years ago Revis was a rookie. He wasn't a top cover corner then, he had the potential but he wasn't. Your right it coud hurt a CB but it could help them as much as it hurts them.

I'm in no wayy hating on Revis, dude is a baller best in the NFL but Bailey 4 years ago IMO was better. & Revis, just sign already

Revis was a rookie 3 years ago, 2 years ago he beacme known as a top cover corner in this league.

Bailey at his absolute peak was never as good as revis 2009.

As much as I hate to compliment a player on the Jets, you have to admit that Darell Revis
is the best CB in the NFL. I'm sure he will sign next week and be ready for the regular season. He would lose too much money sitting out regular season games.

Having said that, I think that Vontae Davis might have the physical skills to become an elite CB also, perhaps on the same level as Revis. I'm not basing that conclusion totally on his great performance in last night's meaningless pre-season game.

Even when he got burned last year by Moss and TO, it seemed that he just lacked NFL experience more than the ability to cover the best receivers in the game.

Time will tell, but he might wind up being better than Surtain, Madison, Troy Vincent, etc., and wind up being the best Dolphin CB ever.

1 good preason game doesnt make a Revis. To mention Davis in the same breath as Surtain, Madison, Vincent, is blasphemy. Now, I can see some similarities with a CB from FSU that played on the Fins... Terrell Buckley. Davis reminds me more of him, but he aint no Revis.

Vontae might very well be our best defensive player. I think he has a big upside still, and can be one of the best corners.

Being more physical it's about intimidation... and it does matter...

All corners get burned even Bailey - ALL

Sure tackler? Just rewatch the first Jets VS Phins last year - seems to me he hasn't arrived in the physicallity department - seems to me he was hesitating on a few runs to his side perhpas to let someone esle do the dirty work and keep his body in tact.

Are we going to even see Revis repeat his performance? Your FO knows something about those numbers you don't - how much that blitz effects the outcome. If and when he signs I can't wait till the excuses kick in about his level of play, his conditining and so on and so on - all things he could have controlled had he showed up for camp - camp is supposed to season your body for the rigors of game action..., if he is on top he has to show it on the field the minute he sees the field.

You are setting yourself up Junc

BTW I never compared the two...

Hey didn't Champ in the same year give up 0 TD's and only 150 or so yards more than Revis. Sounds like he didn't have a better year than Champ that year let alone any year Champ has ever had.

Being more physical it's about intimidation... and it does matter...

All corners get burned even Bailey - ALL

Sure tackler? Just rewatch the first Jets VS Phins last year - seems to me he hasn't arrived in the physicallity department - seems to me he was hesitating on a few runs to his side perhpas to let someone esle do the dirty work and keep his body in tact.

Are we going to even see Revis repeat his performance? Your FO knows something about those numbers you don't - how much that blitz effects the outcome. If and when he signs I can't wait till the excuses kick in about his level of play, his conditining and so on and so on - all things he could have controlled had he showed up for camp - camp is supposed to season your body for the rigors of game action..., if he is on top he has to show it on the field the minute he sees the field.

You are setting yourself up Junc

BTW I never compared the two...

You act like revis is deion sanders when it comes to contact.

What tackles did he miss in the first Miami game?

Obviously it will take him time to get back up to speed after the long layoff but he and the Jets will be fne the moment he comes back. Even at 80% he's better than 90% of the corners in the league including Davis.

Setting myself up for what? I hope this holdout has the same results as 3 of the past high profile holdouts of the last 20 years- LT in '90, Emmitt Smith in '93 and Strahan in '07.

Presently it's a question that begs an obvious answer: "No.. he's not even in the same zipcode as Aso, Woodson and Revis."

Now if you rephrased it to something along the lines of "Based on anecdotal evidence, does Vontae have the potential downroad to join that cadre as an elite, top-tier corner"... the answer would more likely be an affirmative.

Presently it's a question that begs an obvious answer: "No.. he's not even in the same zipcode as Aso, Woodson and Revis."

Now if you rephrased it to something along the lines of "Based on anecdotal evidence, does Vontae have the potential downroad to join that cadre as an elite, top-tier corner"... the answer would more likely be an affirmative.

This..Nobody ever said he was AS good as Revis, but based on his potential and how much he's grown since last year, he can be as good

Back
Top Bottom