Could Vontae Davis be as good as Revis? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Vontae Davis be as good as Revis?

Hey didn't Champ in the same year give up 0 TD's and only 150 or so yards more than Revis. Sounds like he didn't have a better year than Champ that year let alone any year Champ has ever had.

He didn't face the same # of top Wideouts and had less targets at him.

Revis against Ocho, Andre Johnson, Moss twice, Colston, Steve Smith, Wayne, Roddy White and TO twice(10 games):

29 recs, 241 yds, 8.3 yards per, 1 TD
avg. per game: 2.9 recs, 24.1 yds, .1 TDs

Champ against Ocho, Moss, Vincent Jackson, Hines Ward, Wayne(6 games):

25 recs, 314 yds, 3 TDs avg. per game

4.2 recs, 52.3 yds, .5 TDs

You were saying?

I hate to comment on these type of threads because i find them ridiculous but i am bored so screw it.

Davis is better then Revis right now, because Revis isnt playing. But when Revis is playing there are very few CB's in the entire NFL who are even close to being comparable.

I love Davis and want him to be the Best CB ever as anyone else here, but come on......

Presently it's a question that begs an obvious answer: "No.. he's not even in the same zipcode as Aso, Woodson and Revis."

Now if you rephrased it to something along the lines of "Based on anecdotal evidence, does Vontae have the potential downroad to join that cadre as an elite, top-tier corner"... the answer would more likely be an affirmative.

No it wouldn't you rae talking about 3 potential HOF players. Davis has potential to be a good one but he hasn't even had a good season let alone a HOF worthy season.

This..Nobody ever said he was AS good as Revis, but based on his potential and how much he's grown since last year, he can be as good

I don't think you guys realize how good revis is. You guys think Madison and Surtain were alot better than they were and revis is MUCH better than those two ever were. Can Davis be as good as those 2 very good corners? Absolutely. Can he be top 2-3 great? There needs to be alot more evidence shown before I would say that.

He didn't face the same # of top Wideouts and had less targets at him.

Revis against Ocho, Andre Johnson, Moss twice, Colston, Steve Smith, Wayne, Roddy White and TO twice(10 games):

29 recs, 241 yds, 8.3 yards per, 1 TD
avg. per game: 2.9 recs, 24.1 yds, .1 TDs

Champ against Ocho, Moss, Vincent Jackson, Hines Ward, Wayne(6 games):

25 recs, 314 yds, 3 TDs avg. per game

4.2 recs, 52.3 yds, .5 TDs

You were saying?

So because Qb's were smart not to throw it at someone who will pick it and go to the house and WR had better sucess against the other Cb's and not him Revis is better?
He played who was put in front of him and shut them out of the EndZone when he was on them. Champ didn't get burned and give up Td's I will take that all day. Just like it's Aso fault Qb's throw anywhere but near him. Same happened to Deion so I guess you are now saying Revis is better than he ever was too?

All this after 1 good year..............please.

So because Qb's were smart not to throw it at someone who will pick it and go to the house and WR had better sucess against the other Cb's and not him Revis is better?
He played who was put in front of him and shut them out of the EndZone when he was on them. Champ didn't get burned and give up Td's I will take that all day. Just like it's Aso fault Qb's throw anywhere but near him. Same happened to Deion so I guess you are now saying Revis is better than he ever was too?

Revis saw more pass attempts his way against better competition and his oppenents had much worse #s yet you are aguing against revis?

Even kmoe reasons to favor Champ that revis follows the top guy around while Champ only plays one side.

Again w/ Aso, saw less attempts his way yet the WRs he was covering put up better #s. You are making a great case for Revis w/o realizing it.

All this after 1 good year..............please.

One great year, one all-time great year.

We can't be talking about Revis being the top corner b/c he only was aamzing for one year but you guys can talk about Davis being as good as revis w/ ZERO good years under his belt- how does that work exactly?

No it wouldn't you rae talking about 3 potential HOF players. Davis has potential to be a good one but he hasn't even had a good season let alone a HOF worthy season.

I don't think you guys realize how good revis is. You guys think Madison and Surtain were alot better than they were and revis is MUCH better than those two ever were. Can Davis be as good as those 2 very good corners? Absolutely. Can he be top 2-3 great? There needs to be alot more evidence shown before I would say that.

First of all, obviously it's impossible to tell at this point if Davis can be a top 2-3 CB in the league. The thread is solely based on people's "non definitive" opinions.

I'm sure there were alot of people on the Jets board talking about how Revis is a special player in the pre-season two years ago. He didn't have a phenomenal rookie season (solid, not phenomenal), but that shouldn't stop people from asking the question if Davis will end up being an elite CB. There is also nothing wrong with people replying "I think VD has the tools to be elite" or "I believe Vontae can be an elite CB after experience based on .....". Where this board can get a bit crazy is when people start saying VD is better then Revis or WILL be better then Revis. Those are opinions that are too definitive and actually have ZERO backing.

Revis has proven he is an unbelievable CB, VD has not yet, but there's nothing wrong with people saying he could.

Revis saw more pass attempts his way against better competition and his oppenents had much worse #s yet you are aguing against revis?

Even kmoe reasons to favor Champ that revis follows the top guy around while Champ only plays one side.

Again w/ Aso, saw less attempts his way yet the WRs he was covering put up better #s. You are making a great case for Revis w/o realizing it.

One great year, one all-time great year.

We can't be talking about Revis being the top corner b/c he only was aamzing for one year but you guys can talk about Davis being as good as revis w/ ZERO good years under his belt- how does that work exactly?

How am I aurging for Revis. 23 passes attempted against Aso. So a couple of recivers caught a 2-5 yard pass in front of him. It is telling that Qb's dont want to throw at Champ and Aso just like they didn't want to throw at Primetime. Read again 23 passes is way that tells me more than any of your other stats. And since Aso will be following the number one this year your one excuse will hold no water. I mean when the Dolphins wanted to score they went at Revis. No teams did that to Aso and Champ and if they did it didn't work out to well.

First of all, obviously it's impossible to tell at this point if Davis can be a top 2-3 CB in the league. The thread is solely based on people's "non definitive" opinions.

I'm sure there were alot of people on the Jets board talking about how Revis is a special player in the pre-season two years ago. He didn't have a phenomenal rookie season (solid, not phenomenal), but that shouldn't stop people from asking the question if Davis will end up being an elite CB. There is also nothing wrong with people replying "I think VD has the tools to be elite" or "I believe Vontae can be an elite CB after experience based on .....". Where this board can get a bit crazy is when people start saying VD is better then Revis or WILL be better then Revis. Those are opinions that are too definitive and actually have ZERO backing.

Revis has proven he is an unbelievable CB, VD has not yet, but there's nothing wrong with people saying he could.

I don't recall having conversations about him being the best in the league but if they did happen at least he showed that potential as a rookie. Davis got beat up last year, he shows the physical tools needed to be a good corner in this league but he didn't show enough of those skills on the field as a rookie. I happen to think he'll be a good one but let's not annoint a guy who hasn't even put together a good NFL season.

There is something wrong w/ people comparing Davis to Revis right now. A year from now maybe it won't sound silly but as of today it's silly.

How am I aurging for Revis. 23 passes attempted against Aso. So a couple of recivers caught a 2-5 yard pass in front of him. It is telling that Qb's dont want to throw at Champ and Aso just like they didn't want to throw at Primetime. Read again 23 passes is way that tells me more than any of your other stats. And since Aso will be following the number one this year your one excuse will hold no water. I mean when the Dolphins wanted to score they went at Revis. No teams did that to Aso and Champ and if they did it didn't work out to well.

Again, Aso faced far fewer throws(a combo of not always facing the opponents top WR and facing teams that ran more often b/c they were usualyl running out the clock against a bad Raider team) yet allowed more recs, yards, etc...

The dolphins didn't go at Revis, one fluke play in zone coverage doesn't mean you wnet at Revis.

No corner faced better competition and held those players to less than Revis.

Back
Top Bottom