Cris Carter paints a rosy pix (NOT) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cris Carter paints a rosy pix (NOT)

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Do you think the Dolphins and Dave Wannstedt have finally learned that they need to be more unpredictable and have more flexible game plans to compete with the elite teams in 2004, or am I in for more of the same this year as a fan? Tom

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides acquiring David Boston, the Dolphins haven't done anything in the offseason that makes me think they will do anything different. They have been one-dimensional in the past and need more big plays out of the passing game.

A.J. Feeley hasn't looked any better than Jay Fiedler in offseason workouts, so instead of making the situation better, it actually is more difficult. There's a lot of pressure to play Feeley, and if they play Fiedler, they have to deal with the same old mundane "he can only take you so far," "he can't win in the postseason" pressure.

Chris Foerster has never been an offensive coordinator, but he had to take over for Jason Collier due to Collier's health problems. That's pressure.

After talking to some of the guys, I'm worried that the pressure will be insurmountable.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cc-sneakpreviewmail&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

yeah chris...catch that touchdown in Minnesota and maybe we are not where we are today......loser

I like to be optimistic. I get excited every year and hope something will happen that will get us over the top. However, I can't help but be realistic also. I think we have made some improvements on offense this year. BUT.....with a new OL and Boston new to the team, it may take some time for these guys to gel. But, you know what, who the hell knows. Our OL really can't be any worse than they were last year and with Boston on the other side of Chambers, I think the offense will have to open up, at least a little bit.

I'm fairly new to the site and I have been reading a lot from everyone. I think there are some really smart fin fans out there.

Let's look at a bit of our history.

If you really look at what it takes for us to go all the way, I think we'll have to be a balance between offense and defense. If you look back to the 72 and 73 seasons when we won the SB. We had a qb a lot like Fiedler (Bob Griese) he was really nothing to write home about. However, he did enough to keep the defenses honest with passing to Warfield and Moore. We didn't have the best offense and defense. We had a very good offense and defense.

Now you look at the Marino era. We had an offense that really couldn't be stopped. However, our defense couldn't stop anybody.

I think we have made a 180 degree turn around from the Marino era. Our defense is very good. But, our offense is lacking.

With that said, I think we are headed in the right direction. I just hope we don't wait until our defense starts to decline before we get some kind of offense going.

BlueFin said:
Sounds about right, he's pretty much summed it up, Carter after playing under Wanny understands the limitations of his coaching ability and what we should expect, not to mention he's around alot of the players and gets more of their true feelings about the situation down here and not the drivel the reporters get.
I wouldn't assume that Carter knows that much about what's going on in Miami. Most of his comments sound like the stuff he could have read off this, or any other, message board. He didn't exactly sound like an insider to me.

BlueFin said:
Sounds about right, he's pretty much summed it up, Carter after playing under Wanny understands the limitations of his coaching ability and what we should expect, not to mention he's around alot of the players and gets more of their true feelings about the situation down here and not the drivel the reporters get.

Give me a break. How long was Carter's tenure with the Dolphins? And how much of that tenure actually involved playing? I equate Carter's playing experience under Wannstedt to Alexander Haig's tenure as "president" during the Reagan assiassination attempt -- it didn't last that long, he didn't do anything, and he was about the only one who felt he deserved to be in that position.

finleyfinton said:
yeah chris...catch that touchdown in Minnesota and maybe we are not where we are today......loser

I 2nd that...

bobdroopy said:
I 2nd that...

I also agree. Your former team, the endzone you pranced around in for years and one hits you right in the "88" and you drop it. You make that catch and we are in the playoffs in 2002. Not to put the blame on one person, but he didn't come here and be a savior like he thought he would.

72dolfan said:
I like to be optimistic. I get excited every year and hope something will happen that will get us over the top. However, I can't help but be realistic also. I think we have made some improvements on offense this year. BUT.....with a new OL and Boston new to the team, it may take some time for these guys to gel. But, you know what, who the hell knows. Our OL really can't be any worse than they were last year and with Boston on the other side of Chambers, I think the offense will have to open up, at least a little bit.

I'm fairly new to the site and I have been reading a lot from everyone. I think there are some really smart fin fans out there.

Let's look at a bit of our history.

If you really look at what it takes for us to go all the way, I think we'll have to be a balance between offense and defense. If you look back to the 72 and 73 seasons when we won the SB. We had a qb a lot like Fiedler (Bob Griese) he was really nothing to write home about. However, he did enough to keep the defenses honest with passing to Warfield and Moore. We didn't have the best offense and defense. We had a very good offense and defense.

Now you look at the Marino era. We had an offense that really couldn't be stopped. However, our defense couldn't stop anybody.

I think we have made a 180 degree turn around from the Marino era. Our defense is very good. But, our offense is lacking.

With that said, I think we are headed in the right direction. I just hope we don't wait until our defense starts to decline before we get some kind of offense going.
I have to take exception with a few of your remarks,

For starters, Bob Griese was a hall of famer, he called his own plays and was a field general who could pick defenses apart, he completed 87.5 percent of his passes in Superbowl 8, he also was named to several Pro Bowls......I know Jay Fiedler, and Jay Fiedler is no Bob Griese.

Second....we didn't have the best offense or defense? The Non-Name defense is considered by most one of the top ten defenses in history, they led the league in points allowed. They should have notched the only shutout in Superbowl history but for the kicker trying to throw a pass on a botched kick that was returned for a touchdown.....the defense wasn't even on the field, so in my mind they did shutout the Redskins.

On Offense we now boast 5 hall of famers from that team and it should be six as Kuechenberg should get in, you had an incredible O-line and Csonka, Mercury Morris and Kiick, Paul Warfield and Marlin Briscoe....please, perhaps your not old enough to remember the 70's dynasty but your evaluation is an insult to that great team.

72dolfan said:

I know you were not talking about me :lol:

Anyways :welcome: to the board, and nice post... :)

New England Fin said:
I wouldn't assume that Carter knows that much about what's going on in Miami. Most of his comments sound like the stuff he could have read off this, or any other, message board. He didn't exactly sound like an insider to me.
He lives in South Florida and holds his workout camps here, I'm sure he gets more inside stuff than we do.

BlueFin said:
He lives in South Florida and holds his workout camps here, I'm sure he gets more inside stuff than we do.

Heck, why aren't we getting inside reports from Manuel A. Diaz? He lives and works in South Florida YEAR ROUND!!!!

DrAstroZoom said:
Heck, why aren't we getting inside reports from Manuel A. Diaz? He lives and works in South Florida YEAR ROUND!!!!
He's into figure skating :shakeno:

BlueFin said:

I ddin't read one thing in there about limitations about coaching, but about players yea..state the fact, and don't change he said to an opinion about what you think he's saying, but what was actually said. Man ya find a one liner for who you don't like no matter what the conversation. :confused:

KATSKAN said:
I also agree. Your former team, the endzone you pranced around in for years and one hits you right in the "88" and you drop it. You make that catch and we are in the playoffs in 2002. Not to put the blame on one person, but he didn't come here and be a savior like he thought he would.
Not defending him, he should've caught it, but it wasn't a very good throw....behind him and low in traffic. He actually kind of slid on his butt to try to slow down and get low to catch it. Still hit him in the hands though.:fire:

Back
Top Bottom