Cris Carter paints a rosy pix (NOT) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cris Carter paints a rosy pix (NOT)

I hate to admit it but I was one of those last year who promoted bringing Carter back.I thought his experience would benefit young receivers and his rep of being a money player would be beneficial.But I was wrong.The guy was done and only interested in promoting his image.It didnt help he had a noodle arm QB throwing to him.

DolFinatic718 said:
"A.J. Feeley hasn't looked any better than Jay Fiedler in offseason workouts, so instead of making the situation better, it actually is more difficult."

CAN WE NOW PUT TO REST THE SO CALLED REPORTERS SAYING AJ IS LOOKING BETTER

THANK YOU
.....umm no! Y becuz stone-handed turtle boy says so? Why should we take his oppinion over a sports reoporter. IF he cant ctach a ball in Minnisota, y should we think he can catch an inside scoop on the Fins:fire: !

BlueFin said:
I have to take exception with a few of your remarks,

For starters, Bob Griese was a hall of famer, he called his own plays and was a field general who could pick defenses apart, he completed 87.5 percent of his passes in Superbowl 8, he also was named to several Pro Bowls......I know Jay Fiedler, and Jay Fiedler is no Bob Griese.

Final Statistics
Dolphins Redskins
Total First Downs 12 16
First downs rushing 7 9
First downs passing 5 7
First down by penalty 0 0
Net Yards Rushing 184 141
Attempts 37 36
Avg. gain per rush 5.0 3.9
Net Yards Passing 69 87
Attempts/completed 11-8 28-14
Yds. lost att. pass 2-19 2-17
Intercepted/yds. returned 3-95 1-0
Total Offense Yards 253 228
Plays rushing & passing 50 66
Avg. gain per play 5.1 3.5
Punting average 7-43.0 5-31.2
Punt return 2 4
Net yds. punt returned 4 9
Kickoff return 2 3
Net yds. kickoff returned 33 45
Penalties 3-35 3-25
Fumbles/lost 2/1 1/0

some stats from the SB '72-'73, the perfect season. not exactly overwhelming stats from that hall of famer. truth is bob g. was a very average QB. the fins of the early seventies relied VERY heavily on the running game. in particular; "the zonk" larry csonka. griese was perfect for that O but would probably fair no better than his son these days( however he has a much better mind for the game ).

as for the D, yes they were very good. but history does not remeber them very well and there are many who believe that they were only good because of a light schedule. we all know this is not really true because they actually were in the middle of a three season run that included a perfecct season that only had been matched by the browns of the fifties before joining the nfl.

Carter still should caught that ball.
he was selfish to sign with the team, take that wr roster spot away from us, plus $$ when he wasnt even in football shape.
greedy!

DOLPHAN1 said:
Final Statistics
Dolphins Redskins
Total First Downs 12 16
First downs rushing 7 9
First downs passing 5 7
Attempts 37 36
Net Yards Passing 69 87
Punt return 2 4
Kickoff return 2 3
Penalties 3-35 3-25
Fumbles/lost 2/1 1/0

some stats from the SB '72-'73, the perfect season. not exactly overwhelming stats from that hall of famer. truth is bob g. was a very average QB. the fins of the early seventies relied VERY heavily on the running game. in particular; "the zonk" larry csonka. griese was perfect for that O but would probably fair no better than his son these days( however he has a much better mind for the game ).

as for the D, yes they were very good. but history does not remeber them very well and there are many who believe that they were only good because of a light schedule. we all know this is not really true because they actually were in the middle of a three season run that included a perfecct season that only had been matched by the browns of the fifties before joining the nfl.
Excuse me, but I watched Griese play in Pro Bowls in person, Jay Fiedlers don't make Pro Bowls.....or the Hall of Fame for that matter.

Never forget the passing rules were changed after Griese's prime, his receivers could be literally mugged all the way downfield as long as the ball wasn't in the air, so stats are irrelevent, fact is he was one of the top 5 QB's of his era, and Bradshaw was quoted as calling him the best overall, fact is he showed up in big games, Fiedler does not, it is pure blasphemy to compare Fiedler to Bob Griese as some sort of equals.

DOLPHAN1 said:
Final Statistics
Dolphins Redskins
Total First Downs 12 16
First downs rushing 7 9
First downs passing 5 7
Attempts 37 36
Net Yards Passing 69 87
Punt return 2 4
Kickoff return 2 3
Penalties 3-35 3-25
Fumbles/lost 2/1 1/0

Oh, and by the way, I'm older than you and remember those years very well, I lived it and don't need someone too young to remember it telling me what it was by looking at a statbook.

BlueFin said:
Excuse me, but I watched Griese play in Pro Bowls in person, Jay Fiedlers don't make Pro Bowls.....or the Hall of Fame for that matter.

Never forget the passing rules were changed after Griese's prime, his receivers could be literally mugged all the way downfield as long as the ball wasn't in the air, so stats are irrelevent, fact is he was one of the top 5 QB's of his era, and Bradshaw was quoted as calling him the best overall, fact is he showed up in big games, Fiedler does not, it is pure blasphemy to compare Fiedler to Bob Griese as some sort of equals.

i am glad for you that you were able to see our beloved dolphins play in person. that makes for unforgetable memories to cherish for the remainder of your life. the point being made here was not to blaspheme bob griese but only to emphasis that coach shula's philosophy then was run first then run again. once that is establishe then run some more. i am in no way questioning bob griese's football prowess only stating that the passing game was an after thought during those years. and, like it or not, he would struggle in his prime if he were playing today. physically he would be an average QB.

also, i am not the one comparing fiedler to griese. i, in fact, compared him to his son and ONLY in his physical abilities.

stats are relevent because they prove my point about shula's philosophy. rule changes or not. the same could be said that recievers were better then BECAUSE of the rules.

BlueFin said:
Oh, and by the way, I'm older than you and remember those years very well, I lived it and don't need someone too young to remember it telling me what it was by looking at a statbook.

NANNY NANNY BOO BOO, STICK YOUR HEAD.....you know the rest.

come on man, you don't know me and you don't know what i remember. for the record; i fell in love with the phins during that SB. i remeber watching the '68 olympics with my mother, i remember watching the news and all that was being reported on vietnam, i remember the moon landing( the first ). a lot of these memories don't have the same impact that they do for others but none the less i have thes memories. so please show me the same respect that you obviously expect from me.

Unfortunately Bob Griese's legacy with the Dolphins was stained by Brian's failure to follow in his fathers footsteps.

These two QBs cannot be compared in any way.The game has changed since the glory days.Bob was a master at managing a ball control offense.He was respected by his teammates and coaches and seem to always know what play was likely to work.He deserves to be in the HOF.

One of the little known abilities of Bob Griese which I always admired (Which I would like to see again in our QBs) was the ability to change the rythm of his count and draw defenses off side when a first down was needed.

Im sure you all remember the GB game on MNF when carter catches a pass then cringes and slowly stutters backward..then gets blasted and fumbles...Thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DBoston80 said:
Im sure you all remember the GB game on MNF when carter catches a pass then cringes and slowly stutters backward..then gets blasted and fumbles...Thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course!!!

CrunchTime said:
Unfortunately Bob Griese's legacy with the Dolphins was stained by Brian's failure to follow in his fathers footsteps.

These two QBs cannot be compared in any way.The game has changed since the glory days.Bob was a master at managing a ball control offense.He was respected by his teammates and coaches and seem to always know what play was likely to work.He deserves to be in the HOF.

One of the little known abilities of Bob Griese which I always admired (Which I would like to see again in our QBs) was the ability to change the rythm of his count and draw defenses off side when a first down was needed.

i agree that bob is well deserving of his HOF and ring of honor stature. he was the leader of the offense and is a true class-act person. his football expertise is evident during his broadcasts. i believe he even advised brian to not sign with the phins. my point only being that i think bob would find it difficult in this NFL to be a consistant performer. by todays standards he is an average QB talent wise and his football accumen would not be enough today to overcome these more talented and fast defenses.

it is painfully clear that brian did not inherit all of bob's abilities...

sounds like chris is a bit bitter after being absolutely no help to us, i guess he figures if miami cant win with him on the field than theres no hope

DOLPHAN1 said:
CrunchTime said:

One of the little known abilities of Bob Griese which I always admired (Which I would like to see again in our QBs) was the ability to change the rythm of his count and draw defenses off side when a first down was needed.[/QUOTE

i agree that bob is well deserving of his HOF and ring of honor stature. he was the leader of the offense and is a true class-act person. his football expertise is evident during his broadcasts. i believe he even advised brian to not sign with the phins. my point only being that i think bob would find it difficult in this NFL to be a consistant performer. by todays standards he is an average QB talent wise and his football accumen would not be enough today to overcome these more talented and fast defenses.

it is painfully clear that brian did not inherit all of bob's abilities...
I suppose you think Joe Montana was average and wouldnt be able to make it in todays game.Actually Bob Griese can be compared to Montana.Both led their teams to several SBs.Great playcalling and leadership ability.Very accurate while not having "Cannon" arms and most of all a winning "never give up" attitude.

I am curious what do you consider a great QB.A tall big guy with a cannon of an arm ?.There have been a lot of those type of QBs who have flopped and are in the dustheap of NFL history.

The intangibles is what makes a great QB.

Back
Top Bottom