Cris Carter paints a rosy pix (NOT) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cris Carter paints a rosy pix (NOT)

DOLPHAN1 said:
i am glad for you that you were able to see our beloved dolphins play in person. that makes for unforgetable memories to cherish for the remainder of your life. the point being made here was not to blaspheme bob griese but only to emphasis that coach shula's philosophy then was run first then run again. once that is establishe then run some more. i am in no way questioning bob griese's football prowess only stating that the passing game was an after thought during those years. and, like it or not, he would struggle in his prime if he were playing today. physically he would be an average QB.

also, i am not the one comparing fiedler to griese. i, in fact, compared him to his son and ONLY in his physical abilities.

stats are relevent because they prove my point about shula's philosophy. rule changes or not. the same could be said that recievers were better then BECAUSE of the rules.
Well, why did they change the pass interference rules? Answer: to open up the passing game, so your point is incorrect, its impossible to compare the stats of passers of Griese's era to later QB's after the rules were changed based solely on stats, just as it is for receivers.

The fact is it made more sense during the Dolphins Superbowl era to have an offense slanted towards the running game because of the difficulty of executing a passing game.

Todays game I think requires more balance than ever, a philosophy slanted towards the run will be less effective this year than ever as they have tightened up the pass interference rules even more, receivers will be running free like never before and having a quarterback who can consistently get the ball to his receivers will be essential, scoring will go up accordingly and Wannstedt's philosophy will be even less effective unless he opens up his offense and adapts.

CrunchTime said:
I suppose you think Joe Montana was average and wouldnt be able to make it in todays game.Actually Bob Griese can be compared to Montana.Both led their teams to several SBs.Great playcalling and leadership ability.Very accurate while not having "Cannon" arms and most of all a winning "never give up" attitude.

I am curious what do you consider a great QB.A tall big guy with a cannon of an arm ?.There have been a lot of those type of QBs who have flopped and are in the dustheap of NFL history.

The intangibles is what makes a great QB.
Great post, and as far as Brian Griese staining Bob's career that is just ridiculous, one has nothing to do with the other, at least for those that remember Bob and how good he really was.

finleyfinton said:
yeah chris...catch that touchdown in Minnesota and maybe we are not where we are today......loser

yeah 2002 and 2003 were all cris carter's fault. that's an accurate assessment of the problems in miami. :shakeno:

CrunchTime said:
I suppose you think Joe Montana was average and wouldnt be able to make it in todays game.Actually Bob Griese can be compared to Montana.Both led their teams to several SBs.Great playcalling and leadership ability.Very accurate while not having "Cannon" arms and most of all a winning "never give up" attitude.

I am curious what do you consider a great QB.A tall big guy with a cannon of an arm ?.There have been a lot of those type of QBs who have flopped and are in the dustheap of NFL history.

The intangibles is what makes a great QB.

no, actually i think montana is a perfect example of a great QB. above average physical skills and great on-field presence. and to your other point i never said griese was not a great QB. only that he had average physical skills. moblility is a huge plus in todays NFL. see m.vick, s.mcnair, etc. even with his tremendous on field leadership and "never give up" attitude i think he would struggle in todays game. that's just an opinion. my opinion. that in no way takes away from what he has accomplished or the honors that have been bestowed upon him.

as to intangibles i agree 100%. however, as the game changes so do the intangibles. so, the intangibles of 30 years ago probably will not be as affective today.

DOLPHAN1 said:
no, actually i think montana is a perfect example of a great QB. above average physical skills and great on-field presence. and to your other point i never said griese was not a great QB. only that he had average physical skills. moblility is a huge plus in todays NFL. see m.vick, s.mcnair, etc. even with his tremendous on field leadership and "never give up" attitude i think he would struggle in todays game. that's just an opinion. my opinion. that in no way takes away from what he has accomplished or the honors that have been bestowed upon him.

as to intangibles i agree 100%. however, as the game changes so do the intangibles. so, the intangibles of 30 years ago probably will not be as affective today.
Montana's arm strength and mobility were average at best.

NLude33 said:
Not defending him, he should've caught it, but it wasn't a very good throw....behind him and low in traffic. He actually kind of slid on his butt to try to slow down and get low to catch it. Still hit him in the hands though.:fire:
Let me sound nostalgic here:

My pa used to tell me that when a ball touches your hands, it better not leave your hands.

A fact that has nothing to do with the point of his post.

Don't worry D-1, in the smack forum, they call that a punt.

If carter thinks the fins haven't done anything significant and are pretty much the same team as last years, he should pick the fins to win the sb then. After all that's what he did going into last season.

inFINSible said:
A fact that has nothing to do with the point of his post.

Don't worry D-1, in the smack forum, they call that a punt.
Did you even bother to read his post? Here is the point in question..........

"no, actually i think montana is a perfect example of a great QB. above average physical skills"

Montana's arm strength and mobility would be considered average at best in this league, if you read all the posts leading up to this one he was suggesting Bob Griese couldn't play today, that his arm strength and skills would not be good enough, he also called Bob Griese an average quarterback. Another poster posed the question to him "would Montana make it in todays game?"

Hence my response to his assertation that Montana had above average physical skills.

BlueFin said:
Did you even bother to read his post? Here is the point in question..........

"no, actually i think montana is a perfect example of a great QB. above average physical skills"

Montana's arm strength and mobility would be considered average at best in this league, if you read all the posts leading up to this one he was suggesting Bob Griese couldn't play today, that his arm strength and skills would not be good enough, he also called Bob Griese an average quarterback. Another poster posed the question to him "would Montana make it in todays game?"

Hence my response to his assertation that Montana had above average physical skills.

that is my opinion. yes. just as you assert that he was average at best. the point, in case you have missed it is that these are opinions. because you think it so does not make it so. for every person that believes that mantana was the greatest ever you will find one that will dispute it. opinions are opinions. that is the point of this board. stats are #'s. opinions are intangeable and debatable. in your opinion bob griese was the best QB of his era, almost, it seems, god-like. griese was a very good QB in my book. take it for what it is. it makes me no less a fan, and in no way takes from his accomplishments.

and, yes, in his prime, montana could still play in this league. he is apart of this NFL as griese is apart of the NFL 30 years ago. it's no coinsidence that he retired shortly after the rules changed. my opinion; accept it, reject it. your choice.

BlueFin said:
Montana's arm strength and mobility would be considered average at best in this league, if you read all the posts leading up to this one he was suggesting Bob Griese couldn't play today, that his arm strength and skills would not be good enough, he also called Bob Griese an average quarterback.

never suggested griese was an average QB, only his physical skills. the man was a great "field general" and if YOU would bother to read all the posts then you would have seen that. you can read into my posts what ever you want, i'll help you out when ever your not gettin' it....... ;)

DOLPHAN1 said:
that is my opinion. yes. just as you assert that he was average at best. the point, in case you have missed it is that these are opinions. because you think it so does not make it so. for every person that believes that mantana was the greatest ever you will find one that will dispute it. opinions are opinions. that is the point of this board. stats are #'s. opinions are intangeable and debatable. in your opinion bob griese was the best QB of his era, almost, it seems, god-like. griese was a very good QB in my book. take it for what it is. it makes me no less a fan, and in no way takes from his accomplishments.

and, yes, in his prime, montana could still play in this league. he is apart of this NFL as griese is apart of the NFL 30 years ago. it's no coinsidence that he retired shortly after the rules changed. my opinion; accept it, reject it. your choice.
Montana's arm strength and mobility are not matters of opinion, they are known facts, Montana like Griese was great because of intangibles, something Fiedler is not and that really is the Genesis of all this, the original assertation that Fiedler was like Bob Griese, which is a freaking joke dude.......nuff said

Back
Top Bottom