Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury

Writers have their sources, believe it or not. Just because Saban didn't allow his assistant coaches to speak doesn't mean they (or anyone else in the front office) weren't doing so in confidential, especially since a lot of his staff and front office weren't thrilled with him. This also isn't the first time information has leaked out that Saban wasn't overjoyed about Culpepper's work ethic.

Whether it's true or not remains to be seen, but to just blindly dismiss it is naive.

....your the one who wrote the article, arent you?:lol:

im not tryin to get on D.C. guys i just dont get good info up here in CT so i want to know what's up with him

i guess nothing much as of late, he's probably getting to know Cam and trying to make a good impression. just a guess, i dont really know whats up with DC.

DC concerns

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]Publicly, everyone keeps pointing at Culpepper's surgically repaired knee last season to explain his problems at quarterback. Privately, as it turns out, Nick Saban felt the knee was fine and the real problem was further north on the anatomy chart, a Dolphins source says.

Saban wondered more about Culpepper's head. It wasn't just the decisions that Culpepper made on the field, holding the ball too long, taking a ridiculous number of sacks and unable to run an admittedly sagging offense before heading to the bench.

It was Prima Daunte stuff off the field, too. Not showing up at the Dolphins' news conference to announce his trade (Culpepper had promised the first interview to ESPN). Not studying defenses enough (which led to him holding the ball in confusion). Not adjusting at all to a lost step from surgery or age (which led to more confusion in the pocket).
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]This article by Hyde scares me and it affirms what I have been saying for 3 months. The team needs to invest an early round pick on a good young QB[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-hyde21jan21,0,6917284.column?track=rss
[/FONT]

Fact about C'pep everyone ignores.

Carson Palmer had the SAME injury, and about 8 weeks after C'Peps. Yet, Palmer returned on time and had no issues.

C'Peps problem wasn't his knee. Sure, his knee wasn't 100%, his problem though was not knowing what to do with the ball. Holding onto the ball too long. And looking like his skills have declined. I would love to see a breakdown of his numbers with Randy Moss and without Randy Moss. Because in my eyes as of today, until C'Pep shows otherwise, I think Moss made this guy look a lot better than he ever was.
Culpepper was never a true "read" quarterback. The offense he played in Minnesoata called for him to basically read half the field. What made Daunte so impressive was his physical tools, namely that he was 270+ Qb that could run like a stallion. His escapability, which allowed to him to accumulate that most precious of quarterback commodities - TIME- made the difference.

People criticised Daunte relentlessly this past season for holding on to the ball too long but the fact is that he needed that extra time because he no longer could escape the pocket. He's not suited to playing that style.

I would prefer to have a quarterback that reads the entire field such as Brady, Brees or MAnning but I think that if Daunte can return to his physical status of two years ago then the Dolphins will be all right. That remains a big question mark, however.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]Publicly, everyone keeps pointing at Culpepper's surgically repaired knee last season to explain his problems at quarterback. Privately, as it turns out, Nick Saban felt the knee was fine and the real problem was further north on the anatomy chart, a Dolphins source says.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]Saban wondered more about Culpepper's head. It wasn't just the decisions that Culpepper made on the field, holding the ball too long, taking a ridiculous number of sacks and unable to run an admittedly sagging offense before heading to the bench.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]It was Prima Daunte stuff off the field, too. Not showing up at the Dolphins' news conference to announce his trade (Culpepper had promised the first interview to ESPN). Not studying defenses enough (which led to him holding the ball in confusion). Not adjusting at all to a lost step from surgery or age (which led to more confusion in the pocket).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]This article by Hyde scares me and it affirms what I have been saying for 3 months. The team needs to invest an early round pick on a good young QB[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-hyde21jan21,0,6917284.column?track=rss[/FONT]

but are there any good young qb worth an early pick???

I just dont see potential in celeo lemon, plus I wanna see daunte play next season!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but are there any good young qb worth an early pick???

Russell or Quinn. There are some draft sites that have Quinn sliding. We can only hope. I guess most people feel the Raiders are taking Russell.
If not with the 9th pick the at least a 2nd or 3rd rd pick on one of the "second tier" QB's. I made the comment because on some of the draft threads there are those who emphatically state that QB isn't a need, and there are others who only want to invest a token late rd pick on one.

Culpepper was never a true "read" quarterback. The offense he played in Minnesoata called for him to basically read half the field. What made Daunte so impressive was his physical tools, namely that he was 270+ Qb that could run like a stallion. His escapability, which allowed to him to accumulate that most precious of quarterback commodities - TIME- made the difference.

People criticised Daunte relentlessly this past season for holding on to the ball too long but the fact is that he needed that extra time because he no longer could escape the pocket. He's not suited to playing that style.

I would prefer to have a quarterback that reads the entire field such as Brady, Brees or MAnning but I think that if Daunte can return to his physical status of two years ago then the Dolphins will be all right. That remains a big question mark, however.

One has only to look at the conf championship games today. With the exception of Grossman, the other QB's are accomplished students of the game. In defense of Grossman, this is his first season when he's been healthy. He still has some upside and room to develop.
What bothers me about DC is the comments from some in the Phin organization that he doesn't study film. He should be spending extra time on that aspect of his game.

What bothers me about DC is the comments from some in the Phin organization that he doesn't study film. He should be spending extra time on that aspect of his game.

:yeahthat:

Physical skills are one thing, but smarts are just as important. How many players have we seen that have less-than-stellar physical skills but make up for that with intelligent play? Film study is the only way to do it. Maybe DC allowed his physical skills to compensate for his lack of film study over the years. And now that his physical skills are dimished, he's got to learn a new way to do things. Whether or not he's up to that challenge remains to be seen. I'm not convinced he's going to be our #1 QB.

see, thats my only problem, i dont think your being realsitic about the situation. From what i heard on cams PC is that he likes Culpepper, respects what he's done in this league. To be fair, only time will tell, but i will tell you this, no first year head coach is going to cut a possible pro-bowl QB with daunte's ability to save a few mil in cap space, end of story. If your getting your info from that article... dont. That guys information is bougus and based of absolutly nothing, other than his personal opinion. Again, only time will tell, and we will see who the Qb is when the season rolls around.

What did you expect him to say about him in front the whole world?

This thread is funny.

I look forward to some of you people praising Daunte when he starts and flourishes next year.

Then again, most of you are hoping for him to fail so you can write your precious "I told you so" thread. ****ing pathetic.

This thread is funny.

I look forward to some of you people praising Daunte when he starts and flourishes next year.

Then again, most of you are hoping for him to fail so you can write your precious "I told you so" thread. ****ing pathetic.

I think they should rename the VIP SECTION the CHAN GAILEY AND DAUNTE CULPEPPER ROOTING SECTION:wink:

p.s. Awesome Sig!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom