Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury

Matt Schaub is a RFA. I would target him and then release Joey.

Atlanta won't let go of Schaub. Especially not with Petrino as their HC. Not a snowball's chance in hell. And with Lemon outplaying Joey in the final two games of the year (and Cameron apparently having a high opinion of Cleo), Harrington's gone anyway. I see them release Joey in the near future, go after a development QB in die draft and have Lemon and Culpepper battle it out in camp.

I'd be willing to let Culpepper compete for the starting job, but not at his current price tag. Lemon is healthy, mobile, he knows Cameron's system, and he's a lot cheaper....

The bottom line is that Culpepper is a bigger risk now{after more surgery}, then he was a year ago. I can't see any reason to keep him, and pay him like a starter, when he can't even stay healthy. I say we cut our losses while it's not too late, and move forward without him. In a few years, nobody will even remember Culpepper....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

We shall see blitz, we shall see...:lol:

Atlanta won't let go of Schaub. Especially not with Petrino as their HC. Not a snowball's chance in hell. And with Lemon outplaying Joey in the final two games of the year (and Cameron apparently having a high opinion of Cleo), Harrington's gone anyway. I see them release Joey in the near future, go after a development QB in die draft and have Lemon and Culpepper battle it out in camp.

Yeah, OK, Schaub is probably a reach, but we need to look at QB's. Maybe replace Joey with Huard or Garcia who are both UFA's.

I'd be willing to let Culpepper compete for the starting job, but not at his current price tag. Lemon is healthy, mobile, he knows Cameron's system, and he's a lot cheaper....

The bottom line is that Culpepper is a bigger risk now{after more surgery}, then he was a year ago. I can't see any reason to keep him, and pay him like a starter, when he can't even stay healthy. I say we cut our losses while it's not too late, and move forward without him. In a few years, nobody will even remember Culpepper....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Blitz makes an excellent point, Culpepper is not only killing us in the field, he's also killing our Cap! Culpepper is not playing and we can't afford such a cap hit on a player that is not contributing to the present and future sucess of the team. Cutting Culpepper is not a bad idea if one were to conseder rebuilding the team.

Yeah, OK, Schaub is probably a reach, but we need to look at QB's. Maybe replace Joey with Huard or Garcia who are both UFA's.

I think having Lemon and Culpepper battle it out in camp isn't that big a problem. I'd be very hesitant to bring in another FA quarterback or trade for one - that's what we did for the last ten years and look where it got us. For a change, we might want to do what (almost) all playoff teams did: get one in the draft. For every Brees or Garcia, there's ten Feeleys and Fiedlers. I see your point of the quarterback position being a problem, but I think doing it Wanny's or Spielman's way would be the wrong approach. Draft one and see what Culpepper can do when he's healthy or what Lemon can do if Culpepper isn't. We aren't going to compete for the playoffs this year anyway.

Blitz makes an excellent point, Culpepper is not only killing us in the field, he's also killing our Cap! Culpepper is not playing and we can't afford such a cap hit on a player that is not contributing to the present and future sucess of the team. Cutting Culpepper is not a bad idea if one were to conseder rebuilding the team.

... From what ive read, cutting culpepper will only save us 2.2 in cap space, and we would have to carry around about 5.6 mil in "dead money". Bennie Anderson makes 2.2 for christ sakes. Joey Harrington makes over 3 million. Theres no sense in cutting him, period. 2nd of all, the thing most people simply forget about, who would we play?????? I dont think Joey will be around, Cleo is very inexpierenced and hasnt seen any defenses game plan for HIM. We wont be likely to get any first round QB prospects. The safest thing to do would be to keep him on the team.

... From what ive read, cutting culpepper will only save us 2.2 in cap space, and we would have to carry around about 5.6 mil in "dead money". Bennie Anderson makes 2.2 for christ sakes. Joey Harrington makes over 3 million. Theres no sense in cutting him, period. 2nd of all, the thing most people simply forget about, who would we play?????? I dont think Joey will be around, Cleo is very inexpierenced and hasnt seen any defenses game plan for HIM. We wont be likely to get any first round QB prospects. The safest thing to do would be to keep him on the team.

Unfortunately, I agree, the Phins have to keep CP on the team. That said, the Dolphins should look to replace Joey (Huard or Garcia) and draft another potential starter in the draft (Quinn, Russell, Smith, or Stanton - in that order).

Thats nothing new about DC. These were the same complains of him in Minn. He is very talented, but could never read defenses. And if the fans think Cleo is the answer, its going to be a long season.

Unfortunately, I agree, we have to keep CP on the team. That said, the Dolphins should look to replace Joey (Huard or Garcia) and draft another potential starter in the draft.

And let Lemon go? You usually don't carry four quarterbacks on the roster and I don't see why you would have to replace Joey with Huard or Garcia when you can easily replace him with Lemon. Lemon's cheap, young and has a ton of potential. Plus, if he's playing good next year, you'll generate quite a lot of value in case you want to trade him. Look how much Schaub is worth after having started 2 games.

I think the issue is how sure will Cameron be that Daunte can be a good starter worth 5 million. If Cameron doesnt feel he's going to be a good QB then he has to cut him and take the pain this year. This will give him the freedom for 2008 when everybody is going to demand playoffs. If Daunte is kept andf plays like he did last year then we are going to cut him next year and still face the same pain. This is Cameron's biggest decision for 2007 and he needs to get it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatical
Unfortunately, I agree, we have to keep CP on the team. That said, the Dolphins should look to replace Joey (Huard or Garcia) and draft another potential starter in the draft.

And let Lemon go? You usually don't carry four quarterbacks on the roster and I don't see why you would have to replace Joey with Huard or Garcia when you can easily replace him with Lemon. Lemon's cheap, young and has a ton of potential. Plus, if he's playing good next year, you'll generate quite a lot of value in case you want to trade him. Look how much Schaub is worth after having started 2 games.

I didn't say let lemon go. We carried 5 QB's last year. (CP, JH, CL, Vick and Mathews) :evil:

I didn't say let lemon go. We carried 5 QB's last year. (CP, JH, CL, Vick and Mathews) :evil:

We never carried more than three. Vick took reps as a receiver and Mathews wasn't signed until Culpepper was placed on IR. Thing with more than three quarterbacks is that at least one wouldn't get any reps in training which basically stops his development right there. There's a reason why no NFL team carries more than three on its active roster.

Thats nothing new about DC. These were the same complains of him in Minn. He is very talented, but could never read defenses. And if the fans think Cleo is the answer, its going to be a long season.

That's the thing I found with Daunte last year. I have a few Bears fans that said it was a mistake getting him and they said he's a horrible decision maker. That's what I saw of him last year but if Cameron thinks he can coach him up then maybe he can resurrect his career. I trust Cam's judgement on this one. Hopefully Mueller and Wayne won't pressure him on the QB issue

I think the issue is how sure will Cameron be that Daunte can be a good starter worth 5 million. If Cameron doesnt feel he's going to be a good QB then he has to cut him and take the pain this year. This will give him the freedom for 2008 when everybody is going to demand playoffs. If Daunte is kept andf plays like he did last year then we are going to cut him next year and still face the same pain. This is Cameron's biggest decision for 2007 and he needs to get it right

That dosnt make sense, what "freedom" are you talking about? If we cut him next year because weve found someone better what will it matter? and thats the only time he will be cut, when we have found someone better, and the truth is, were not sure there will be anyone better that we will attain next year. I really dont understand your post, please clarify.

If Daunte Culpepper is cut, it will be the first move I question in the Randy Mueller/Cam Cameron era. What is the point? To save 1.2M or so in cap space this year?

This article is complete crap it's amazing. It's pure speculation. Where are his sources? I mean at least give me an anonymous source instead of saying it was Saban who talked now that he is gone...How convenient. So many of the players respected Saban, including Culpepper. So why is Nick Saban going to speak privately to DAVE HYDE and tell him Daunte has issues with his head, reading defenses, didn't do the homework, etc....Complete. Load. Of. Crap.

I'll say this. Daunte's preparation might not have been par prior to the season. I say that because to comeback from that knee injury in 8 months is A MIRACLE. The hardwork you have to do for that to happen is uncanny. I recently tore my ACL,LCL,MCL, hamstring, and popliteaus muscle. I won't be playing football for 12 months. My doctor said what he did was a modern day medical miracle. This is a guy who worked on players from the Houston Oilers and Dallas Cowboys organization years ago. The work ethic is there. If the health is there, I think Daunte Culpepper can be very effective.

Back
Top Bottom