Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury

Coach Cam needs to dump this bum, and start fresh. Culpepper was a waste, and there's no way he'll be a Miami Dolphin under his current contract. Release him now, deal with the hit, and move on. Culpepper is a bumbling, stumbling, fumbling, mumbling, most overrated QB the NFL has ever seen.

Childress knew what he was doing when he came into Minny. Let's hope Cameron does too. Culpepper's numbers decieve, and can make you think twice, but once you see him in action, you realize Culpepper was all smoke and mirrors...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

THe chances of him re-habbing to 100% aren't great in my opinion (and if Nick Saban thought he had a bonafide QB for next year he would NOT have left, so that tells me he doesn;t think CPep will be able to recover propely and he knew he was in for another crappy year).

The problem is, if CPep's knee never makes him the player he used to be again, then CPep must be able to play as a pocket passer and make great reads and decisions quickly....

Which he sucks at (Go back and even look at the Pre-Draft analysis for his draft year and it's like reading an analysis of the crap he STILL can;t do now. this tiger is NOT changing it's stripes).

Sadly, what Daunte needs is to have a mental skill he simply does not have and has failed to develop. The Dolphins coaching staff left him in too long last season NOT because they didn;t realise his knee wasn;t coming back fully, but because they GAVE DAUNTE A CHANCE TO SHOW HE COULD ADAPT MENTALLY AND PLAY A DIFFERENT STYLE OF GAME. That experiment lasted two or three games and failed.

So since Daunte cannot seem to learn to THINK differently as a QB, he simply needs a whole new brain. That sounds likely. It's not like you can RE-HAB a brain that isn;t injured.

So, between a slight chance of his knee rehabbing fully or his brain suddenly discovering new unlocked potential, we are stuck with the slim chance of that knee coming back for him to be great.

That's our chance of him being great now.... slim, and I feel badly for him, and for us.

Let's draft a QB in round two or three, let Daunte and Cleo comete for the starting job, and groom the drafted rook for the future.

This is a great post. Not an attack on C-pep, just stating the obvious.
Bottom line is Daunte is slow(decision wise). NOTE: slow does not = dumb. He just needs more time than the average QB to process whats going on and find his reciever. When his legs were healthy, he could buy that time. Now he can't. His injury was not the standard ACL injury, his knee was blown up. IMO, his leg will never be right again and I am not interested in wasting the first quarter of next season finding this out.

Coach Cam needs to dump this bum, and start fresh. Culpepper was a waste, and there's no way he'll be a Miami Dolphin under his current contract. Release him now, deal with the hit, and move on. Culpepper is a bumbling, stumbling, fumbling, mumbling, most overrated QB the NFL has ever seen.

Childress knew what he was doing when he came into Minny. Let's hope Cameron does too. Culpepper's numbers decieve, and can make you think twice, but once you see him in action, you realize Culpepper was all smoke and mirrors...

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I'm not a CP supporter, mostly b/c he's only had one winning season in his entire career, but, I don't think he should just dump him if and until we know we have something better.

As far as Daunte is concerned. I'm frustrated w/ the whole situation. People are knocking this guy saying he "can't read defenses" . . . that is totally obsurd. NO QB CAN GET THRU HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE, BE A FIRST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK AND BE A PRO BOWL QB IN THE NFL AND NOT BE ABLE TO READ A DEFENSE, PEOPLE STOP SAYING THAT . . . YOU SOUND STUPID EVERYTIME U SAY IT.

My only concern w/ Daunte is that if he is not able to regain his "explosive mobility" that he once had, then how effective a pocket passer can he be.

It's not a matter of Daunte not being able to read defenses, it's more an issue with Daunte beating defenses that are designed to confuse him and to stop him. The defenses that he faced in High School and college are not the same he faces in the NFL. Yes he did make the pro-bowl and other such accolades, but you have to remember that all this was done with Randy Moss dominating. If you look at the defenses that Culpepper was facing, they were all designed to stop Randy Moss, double teams and rolling coverages towards Moss. That helped his running game as well as it simplified things for Daunte. In 2005 and 2006 when Moss was no longer a factor in the Vikings offense, Daunte was now facing defenses that were designed to stop him and we saw how pathetic he looked. And please don't bring up the excuse of the injury, he was not injured in 2005 and he still played like crap. There's a lot more questions about Culpepper besides him being able to regain this so called "explosiveness", he needs to figure out how to beat defenses designed to confuse him and in two years he's failed misserably. I think Saban knew this and that's another reason why he quit. If Saban would have seen some hope in Culpepper he probably would have stayed, but he knew he messed up big time when he took Culpepper before Brees. it's amazing how people defend this guy like if he was Marino. Please let me know when Culpepper actually does something for this team besides go 1-4 and take 5 sacks per game. Feidler with his noodle arm did a hell of a lot more for this team than Culpepper with all his talent, and I never saw anybody come to his defense on these boards like they defend Culpepper. So far Culpepper is nothing but hype and very little to look forward to.

I'm not a CP supporter, mostly b/c he's only had one winning season in his entire career, but, I don't think he should just dump him if and until we know we have something better.

He had 2 winning seasons and one 8-8 season. But winning seasons are decieving just like any other stat. Look at Jay Fiedler, how many winning seasons did he have?

He had 2 winning seasons and one 8-8 season. But winning seasons are decieving just like any other stat. Look at Jay Fiedler, how many winning seasons did he have?

2000 11-5
2001 5-6
2002 6-10
2003 7-7
2004 8-8
2005 2-5
2006 1-3

Only 1 winning season that I see, and that was in 2000. His overall win/loss record is 40-44. Winning seasons may be deceiving, but I think a QB with only one winning season to his name doesn't deserve the hype that he gets and doesn't deserve to automatically be named the starter. Please, give me another QB with a losing record over his career that you would call a great, or even very good QB.

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I like you blitz but honestly, who are we going to play if we cut Daunte? joey? cleo? Daunte is the best Quarterback we have on our team, at this time. Cutting Daunte would make little to no sense, other than the fact that you dont like him. Why people are wishing him to fail so they could start "i told ya so" threads is beyond me. Bottomline Culpepper will be the starter next year.

haven't read the whole thread, but from what I've seen some people are acting as if C-Pep is going to make a full recovery and be reaady next season. You can't make the assumption. The Jets did not make the assumption Pennington would be ready, they traded for Patrick Ramsey and drafted Kellen Clemons. In fact, the Mangini wants Clemons to win the job in TC next year.

I'm not saying go out and Cut Daunte, but if there's a good QB prospect availalble in round 2 or 3 I think you take a serious look

haven't read the whole thread, but from what I've seen some people are acting as if C-Pep is going to make a full recovery and be reaady next season. You can't make the assumption. The Jets did not make the assumption Pennington would be ready, they traded for Patrick Ramsey and drafted Kellen Clemons. In fact, the Mangini wants Clemons to win the job in TC next year.

I'm not saying go out and Cut Daunte, but if there's a good QB prospect availalble in round 2 or 3 I think you take a serious look

ofcourse, i would be stupid not to. I havnt heard ANYONE say we should stay away from qb's in the draft because were set with daunte. Daunte may or may not return to his physical and mental state of years past but damn people, hes the best quarterback we have, i want him to excell because i want the Miami Dolphins to excell, and the QB that gives us the best chance to do that at this point in time is daunte.

I like you blitz but honestly, who are we going to play if we cut Daunte? joey? cleo? Daunte is the best Quarterback we have on our team, at this time. Cutting Daunte would make little to no sense, other than the fact that you dont like him. Why people are wishing him to fail so they could start "i told ya so" threads is beyond me. Bottomline Culpepper will be the starter next year.

You wish that was the bottom line. The reality is that a lot can change with the QB situation over the next 7 months. And if you think Daunte's big name is going to carry him through training camp with the new coach you're mistaken. Cameron is not married to Culpepper like Saban was. He can do whatever he wants with him and not look stupid. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleo win the job in camp. He's shown a lot of upside so far. Joey in all likelihood won't be around. There'll be someone else in the mix as well whether it's a drafted QB or whatever.

PEP IS DUMB, as I said earlier in this thread. I live just miles from where he grew up, the guy needed tutors just to get thru high school. He doesn't apply himself.
When he has healthy legs he is able to roll out and only see half the feild, find a guy, and launch the ball. He does have an amazing arm, but he is dumb.
When forced to stay in the pocket and see the whole feild, he just can't comprehend what he's looking at in a timely manner. Does in make him a bad guy? NO. it just means he's not a long term answer. It also means he's not worth what we're paying him.

I'd be willing to let Culpepper compete for the starting job, but not at his current price tag. Lemon is healthy, mobile, he knows Cameron's system, and he's a lot cheaper....

The bottom line is that Culpepper is a bigger risk now{after more surgery}, then he was a year ago. I can't see any reason to keep him, and pay him like a starter, when he can't even stay healthy. I say we cut our losses while it's not too late, and move forward without him. In a few years, nobody will even remember Culpepper....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

just "if"

ofcourse, i would be stupid not to. I havnt heard ANYONE say we should stay away from qb's in the draft because were set with daunte. Daunte may or may not return to his physical and mental state of years past but damn people, hes the best quarterback we have, i want him to excell because i want the Miami Dolphins to excell, and the QB that gives us the best chance to do that at this point in time is daunte.

He could be the best just IF he is completle recober, and you can´t say that today, if he can move as like in his best seson, I don´t think he could be the best, he needs his movility to be a better QB, and he dont know IF he could be like that

Back
Top Bottom