Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury

I did watch every game Cleo played in and Joey H is a better Qb.Look at the teams Joey Beat.

well the one thing for sure is cam is a very very good qb coach.ferote if that is how y spell it,when with washington was an all pro.cam was his coach.this hole thing will play out fast.either c pep still has it,or he doesn't.

Everyone wants to get rid of Joey and I do not think we should right yet because DC is the one making all the money and DC will probably end up being just as bad or worse than joey. Joey is a very capable backup. DC? We dont know what we got in this guy and this just gives a whole new light on the situation.

You wonder if we are going to be hearing alot more now that the authoritative jerk is gone.

I did watch every game Cleo played in and Joey H is a better Qb.Look at the teams Joey Beat.

Ok, 2 things . . . first u gotta ask yourself if Cleo could have beaten the teams Joey beat . . . and w/ the way the defense played in those games (Chicago, Minny and KC sticking out right now), I'm sure Cleo could have put up a similar number in the win-loss column for us.

Secondally, ask yourself when Cleo and Joey played in the same game . . . who looked better? I'm sure u understand that Cleo looked better

Combine that w/ the fact that Cleo's game against the Colts was one of the best games played by any Dolphin QB this season (that one stupid pick at the end of the first half was alot to do w/ coaching) . . . and the fact that Cleo has more mobility, a stronger arm and familiarities with Cam . . . Cleo is a no brainer to keep . . . especially over Joey H, who has proved nothing in 5 years except to be a decent backup who doesn't have the "stuff" to be a starter . . . with "stuff" including mental makeup.

The thing I have noticed about Cleo in that last game is that he gets better as time goes on. He has some poise and he can move around a little better. The kid needs some PT IMO before anyone can know for sure.

As far as Daunte is concerned. I'm frustrated w/ the whole situation. People are knocking this guy saying he "can't read defenses" . . . that is totally obsurd. NO QB CAN GET THRU HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE, BE A FIRST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK AND BE A PRO BOWL QB IN THE NFL AND NOT BE ABLE TO READ A DEFENSE, PEOPLE STOP SAYING THAT . . . YOU SOUND STUPID EVERYTIME U SAY IT.

However, there is an adjustment for any QB who normally relies on their mobility to switch and become a pocket passer with limited to no mobility. That is to be expected. People are comparing Carson to Daunte . . . Daunte's injury was MUCH more severe, Daunte isn't a pocket passer and Daunte wasn't coming in to a new offense/new team. Not to mention Carson struggled early as well and was given more time to work out his funk.

Simply put, u had a head coach who thought he could do no wrong and wanted to prove that by putting a not ready Pep out there and the plan backfired. Everyone knew Daunte's injury would take almost a year to heal . . . Nick should have let him rehab not rush him back out there.

My only concern w/ Daunte is that if he is not able to regain his "explosive mobility" that he once had, then how effective a pocket passer can he be. This has nothing to do with reading a defense, it has to do w/ instincts . . . and his instinct is to scramble his way out of trouble . . . if he can't do that . . .he will never be comfortable at the QB position again, and that in turn can cripple his big time ability that he once had. Honestly, I don't want Daunte to be a pocket passer, if he can't be the QB he has always been, then we need to go another route. It's similar to a right handed person losing an arm and being forced to work with the left hand . . . that **** doesn't happen overnight and with Pep being 30 now, it may not be worth the time investment to go thru this ordeal.

LMAO @ people claiming to know Pep had tutors to help him with with SAT scores in high school. People never stop amazing me with their idiotic comments. The man knows how to play football . . . plain and simple . . he has done it his whole life . . . Kevin Garnett couldn't go to college because his SAT scores were so low . . . but he knows how to play basketball . . u can't knock athletic ability . . . and Pep has everything to be desired in a QB, we just gotta get this cat healthy and if the **** is unfixable u move on.

None of our QBs has earned the right to be "the starter" going into training camp. We need to have an open competition between all three QBs and let them earn the position on the field! The Jets did it and I'm sure that it made all their QBs work harder than they otherwise would have.

You're missing the obvious.

Mike Mularkey.

Palmer had plenty of issues. He resisted playing in the preseason because he was worried about his knee. He struggled for the first half of the season, doing his best to not lean into his throws. He was playing scared, and everyone could see it.

Furthermore, comparing Culpepper's recovery with Palmer's is meaningless. Just because they're two big-name NFL QBs doesn't mean any parallels exist to allow a valid comparison. Did Palmer have to become familiar with a new offense and offensive coordinator upon his return? Did he have to deal with an oversight from his initial reconstructive surgery? Did his offensive line resemble swiss cheese with more holes? No, no, and no.

But I suppose bashing Culpepper is the only interesting thing the board can do now that we have a new coach.

good points. let me add also, a huge part of culpepper's game has been buying time with his legs. palmer is and always has been strictly a pocket passer. his transition wasn't nearly as difficult as culpepper's. i expect daunte will be much more comfortable with his mobility this season, and will much more effective.

i can't believe how quickly so many people on this forum turned on the guy. he shouldn't have even been out there.

None of our QBs has earned the right to be "the starter" going into training camp. We need to have an open competition between all three QBs and let them earn the position on the field! The Jets did it and I'm sure that it made all their QBs work harder than they otherwise would have.

I disagree. What this team needs is stability, not QB competitions. This team needs answers, not more questions.

As far as Daunte is concerned. I'm frustrated w/ the whole situation. People are knocking this guy saying he "can't read defenses" . . . that is totally obsurd. NO QB CAN GET THRU HIGH SCHOOL, COLLEGE, BE A FIRST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK AND BE A PRO BOWL QB IN THE NFL AND NOT BE ABLE TO READ A DEFENSE, PEOPLE STOP SAYING THAT . . . YOU SOUND STUPID EVERYTIME U SAY IT.

However, there is an adjustment for any QB who normally relies on their mobility to switch and become a pocket passer with limited to no mobility. That is to be expected. People are comparing Carson to Daunte . . . Daunte's injury was MUCH more severe, Daunte isn't a pocket passer and Daunte wasn't coming in to a new offense/new team. Not to mention Carson struggled early as well and was given more time to work out his funk.

Simply put, u had a head coach who thought he could do no wrong and wanted to prove that by putting a not ready Pep out there and the plan backfired. Everyone knew Daunte's injury would take almost a year to heal . . . Nick should have let him rehab not rush him back out there.

My only concern w/ Daunte is that if he is not able to regain his "explosive mobility" that he once had, then how effective a pocket passer can he be. This has nothing to do with reading a defense, it has to do w/ instincts . . . and his instinct is to scramble his way out of trouble . . . if he can't do that . . .he will never be comfortable at the QB position again, and that in turn can cripple his big time ability that he once had. Honestly, I don't want Daunte to be a pocket passer, if he can't be the QB he has always been, then we need to go another route. It's similar to a right handed person losing an arm and being forced to work with the left hand . . . that **** doesn't happen overnight and with Pep being 30 now, it may not be worth the time investment to go thru this ordeal.

LMAO @ people claiming to know Pep had tutors to help him with with SAT scores in high school. People never stop amazing me with their idiotic comments. The man knows how to play football . . . plain and simple . . he has done it his whole life . . . Kevin Garnett couldn't go to college because his SAT scores were so low . . . but he knows how to play basketball . . u can't knock athletic ability . . . and Pep has everything to be desired in a QB, we just gotta get this cat healthy and if the **** is unfixable u move on.
Best read ever.Good Job

I judge a QB by his play against play-off caliber competition. Fanstasy stats against crap team proves nothing.

So far none of the current QB's get an approving nod.

I don't think you could find anyone who watched C-Pep this year that would say his struggles were merely physical. Hopefully he has been hitting the film and rehabbing. Keep in mind he knows this may be his last shot.

There are plenty who would say that, but they'd be wrong.

CP can't read defenses. :evil:

Why don't we let Cam, who is a superstar at coaching up QBs, evaluate Daunte and make a decision based on his expertise? Cam is the perfect guy to get Daunte back to playing great football, injuries permitting, of course. But he should be fully healthy by spring training and if he bonds with Cam and the knee is better we will see a different QB. Last season he tried to play on a knee that was still quite far from healed. He was not trusting the knee and not comfortable in the system which was MM using Linehans terminology. That was another failure of Saban and the offense we saw was a result of MM not being very good plus Saban wouldn't let him install his system. Daunte was lost in the system and between the o-line stinking in the first half of the season and his injury he never had much chance. I think Cam will make him great again similar to the great work he did with Drew Brees. The future is better, we may very well have Williams back which helps our running game and we have free agency and the draft to get some more playmakers on offense. We have to chill and let Cam work his magic with DC or make a decision to cut our losses. If one of the big 2 QBs drop to #9 in the draft we will move fast to get a new QB to develope. Quit fighting with each other and let's see how it unfolds. At least Saban is gone! I really think we hired the right guy.

I have been one of Daunte's biggest detractors ever since the Buffalo and Tennessee games soured me on him. The reasons for me were that he simply wasn't mentally prepared for the games. It wasnt his lack of mobility, poor offensive line play, horrible playcalling and receivers lack of getting seperation (all valid concerns). His play was horrible from a fundamentals perspective. Now I could be wrong and maybe he really was prepared and just simply rusty for some reason but I really think the defenders of Daunte have to acknowledge that he deserves some criticism for his play. There is a reason that goes beyond the injury why cutting him is a reasonable option.

Having said that however I also see the argument made for giving him one last chance to prove himself and that reason is simply Cam Cameron. Cameron is a QB guru so if he meets with Daunte and likes what he hears, watches game film and sees the potential, there is a good chance that Cameron may be able to coach Daunte back into being a good QB. The problems that I see Daunte having to overcome, and I am the first to admit that I could be wrong on this not having access to pick his brain, is he needs to learn an offense that is more complicated then the half field read offense he was used to in Minny. Cameron is going to require him to read the entire field. His progressions wont be held to half the field. He also is going to have to progress past the home run bomb or dump off to a back tendency that he seemed to be looking for when he played for us. Take a check down to option two ten yards down field. Secondly he needs to become more of a vocal leader. Where is he. I havent heard boo from him since October.

If Cameron chooses to keep him I fully support him. I will have full faith in Cameron's ability to get something out of Daunte if Cameron believes he can do so. If he dumps him I fully support that. If Cameron thinks he's done then I will agree with that assessment.

The bottom line for me now is both sides have a point to their side of the argument but the insults really need to go

Back
Top Bottom