Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Culpepper had issues beyond his knee injury

You're missing the obvious.

Mike Mularkey.

Palmer had plenty of issues. He resisted playing in the preseason because he was worried about his knee. He struggled for the first half of the season, doing his best to not lean into his throws. He was playing scared, and everyone could see it.

Furthermore, comparing Culpepper's recovery with Palmer's is meaningless. Just because they're two big-name NFL QBs doesn't mean any parallels exist to allow a valid comparison. Did Palmer have to become familiar with a new offense and offensive coordinator upon his return? Did he have to deal with an oversight from his initial reconstructive surgery? Did his offensive line resemble swiss cheese with more holes? No, no, and no.

But I suppose bashing Culpepper is the only interesting thing the board can do now that we have a new coach.

Fully agree that its unfair to compar eDaunte's sit to Carsons (and from my reading, btw, Daunte's knee ligament damage was more severe... either by virtue of it being in one more ligament or it being a higher degree of tear in them, I can;t recall).

Also, Mularkey is simply not a great OC... ONE good lyear on the job in your career does not make you great.. show me consistency and an ability to be top of the league even with adversity through lesser talent, injuries etc. I am YET to see Mularkey out scheme someone. his philospophy, as R Mac put it, relied on each player beating their person one-on-one... okay so "Talent, you go and out-talent the other players" that is not called coaching your players, it's called letting them play and hoping they're better. It SHOULD be his job to scheme plays which put them in a better position to succeed because they have a STRATEGIC advantage in that formation, or with the play being run (i.e. creating a weak spot in the defense and exploiting it... running and passing to SPACE) not saying, go bowl over your guy or this play won't work.

I AM happy to have Cam as a de facto OC... just not as a hread coach. hoping he's keeping the seat warm for Cowher. :)

Except Culpepper did not have trouble making decisions. When given the time by his offensive line, he did what the play demanded he do. Charges of "he held on to the ball too long" are baseless, quote]

HOw does everyone overlook the obvious fact that great QB's are not the ones who can make the throws when EVERYTHING is going right and your guy is wide open and there is no pressure...

to be great you HAVE to make a good (not a bad) decision or throw when there IS tight coverage, or when there IS pressure on you. This is why everyone gives bj's to Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees etc in the media. That is part of their job, period.

To say if they are rushed they get a free pass to make garbage decisions is incorrect in my view. Throw it away, or FIND the open man on the blitz. If you can't then take a seat on the bench or grab a clipboard.

Some of you all are in denial, It has become the general consensus of everyone except for some folks on this board that the Dolphins need to cut Culpepper. I mean if you look around there are dozens of articles in the press speculating on Daunte being cut and splitting the cap hit over the next 2 seasons. When fans from other teams come to this board they all say they think we need to cut Culpepper and start over. On 790 the ticket every day they all harp on needing to get rid of Daunte. On TV the majority of the analysts are all saying Daunte was a mistake and that's why Saban left.

They are all saying we need to draft a quarterback.

If you take your heads out of the sand for a bit, you will start to realise just how slim the chances are that Culpepper will be the starter next year.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but if you pay attention to what everyone around us is saying it starts to become apparent that Daunte being cut is a lot more likely than him being the starter next year.

What will happen? Who really knows, but in all honesty it's starting to seem like it's almost going to take a miracle for the guy to be our starting QB next year.

Hallellujah.

This is article is complete BS. So Culpepper gave his first interview to ESPN, that makes him a prima dona?? He has no other examples, but that is enough for him to classify him as a prima dona???

The Phins had no pass protection and they were running two TE sets when Culpepper was playing, Chambers couldn't get himself open, no one was open, but it was because Culpeppper was holding onto the ball too long that he was getting sacked??

So now after all the lies of Saban, we are suppose to believe a source who was told by Saban?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And if it's more than likely Saban made a mistake then we should prepare ourselves for the consequences of that mistake because the sooner we get over the consequences the sooner we move forward towards our goal of once again being a winning franchise. There is a slim chance Culpepper regains form and once again becomes a pro bowl caliber QB but there is an even bigger chance that he doesn't. Until we can accept that, we will continue to cling to the hope that he is the savior of this franchise. After we accept that, we can properly evaluate the situation and realise that he just might not be the savior and it might take some time to fix this franchise. If that is the case, the sooner we recognize it, the sooner we will get back on track toward our goal of becoming a winning franchise.

I have a hard time accepting any player as a complete failure in this league after only 4 games. I dont think Culpepper should obstruct our search to find a young QB, nor do i think it will. I would personally be excited if Brady Quinn through some miracle fell to us and he excelled in this league. Im just supporting the best QB we have at this point in time, on this team. just my opinion.

Your right, i got a little out of line, im normally actually very polite, But that post was flat out ridiculous. Now, im not biased, just a supporter, i see his flaws and i am aware of them. Ive read quite a few of your posts, enogh to know that your a polite senseible (sp?) person, but i never called him stupid, i called people stupid, people who dont know football. Now i may be 16 but ive seen some pretty imature and ruder responses by people well into there 40's. Your right though, that was a unthoughtfull response, my apologies bluehaze.

Good for you.

I think it's very premature to say that we should cut Daunte. Anyone who says that needs to explain who is going to start in his place. Cleo Lemon? I have a hard time getting excited for a guy that has been passed over by so many teams. We have all seen good quarterbacks seemingly come out of nowhere, but those situations don't happen often, and it's certainly not advisable to have him opening the season with nobody on the roster in case he flakes out. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to cut a guy that has questions surrounding him and replacing him with a guy that is totally unproven.

The bad news here is that all signs seem to point towards Daunte not reverting to his pre-2004 self. I agree with the poster that said Saban probably saw the writing on the wall with Culpepper. Even if that's totally incorrect, the grumblings of his work ethic being sup-par are troubling; I heard from somewhere that he is up to 280+ pounds (I don't know at all if that's true, but I did hear it from somewhere). Couple those tidbits with his play the last two years and there are serious questions as to whether he will ever be the Daunte of 2004 again.

I am going to defer to Cameron just as I did with Saban for so many big issues. Cameron seems to be a quarterback guru, so if there's anyone that can get Daunte to play well it should be him. If, after watching the tape, talking to him, and seeing him in minicamps, Cameron decides that he is useless to us and cuts him then I'll be behind his decision. However, at this point it's premature to assume that would happen.

The fact is, we are not guaranteed of even average play out of any QB on our roster. They all have issues. I guess we can at least take solace in the fact that the guy making the decision is uber-qualified to make such a decision.

This is article is complete BS. So Culpepper gave his first interview to ESPN, that makes him a prima dona?? He has no other examples, but that is enough for him to classify him as a prima dona???
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's forget about his pouting after being benched or his demanding to be traded in Minnesota or the interviews where he continually used the word "we" instead of "I" i.e "I have to get better. I have to get the job done." Or let's conviniently forget the only reason Culpepper is here and it came at the simple request of his Vikings coach asking him to please rehab with the team at the facility so he could better learn the new system.

The more you Daunte :newera: come out of the wood work with these ridculous posts the more I want to hate Daunte just to spite you when in reality I'm pulling for the guy.

Good for you.

I think it's very premature to say that we should cut Daunte. Anyone who says that needs to explain who is going to start in his place. Cleo Lemon? I have a hard time getting excited for a guy that has been passed over by so many teams. We have all seen good quarterbacks seemingly come out of nowhere, but those situations don't happen often, and it's certainly not advisable to have him opening the season with nobody on the roster in case he flakes out. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to cut a guy that has questions surrounding him and replacing him with a guy that is totally unproven.

The bad news here is that all signs seem to point towards Daunte not reverting to his pre-2004 self. I agree with the poster that said Saban probably saw the writing on the wall with Culpepper. Even if that's totally incorrect, the grumblings of his work ethic being sup-par are troubling; I heard from somewhere that he is up to 280+ pounds (I don't know at all if that's true, but I did hear it from somewhere). Couple those tidbits with his play the last two years and there are serious questions as to whether he will ever be the Daunte of 2004 again.

I am going to defer to Cameron just as I did with Saban for so many big issues. Cameron seems to be a quarterback guru, so if there's anyone that can get Daunte to play well it should be him. If, after watching the tape, talking to him, and seeing him in minicamps, Cameron decides that he is useless to us and cuts him then I'll be behind his decision. However, at this point it's premature to assume that would happen.

The fact is, we are not guaranteed of even average play out of any QB on our roster. They all have issues. I guess we can at least take solace in the fact that the guy making the decision is uber-qualified to make such a decision.

I agree with everything you just said. Alot of people are saying to just cut Daunte and start Cleo. Are you serious? Cleo is an even bigger question mark than Daunte. IF CC's such a good qb coach then he will make the right decision. hopefully

Sarcastic?:lol:

That was actually supposed to be genuine. In hindsight, I probably should have used a different phrase; that one is used sarcastically too many times to be taken on face value when written. Anyway, I meant good for you for manning up and apologizing...

That was actually supposed to be genuine. In hindsight, I probably should have used a different phrase; that one is used sarcastically too many times to be taken on face value when written. Anyway, I meant good for you for manning up and apologizing...

no prob, i should have been more level headed.

So many great arguments on both sides... I'm a bit torn. However, I refuse to favor either side until I see Daunte on the field this year, assuming he is still here and given the opportunity.

If DC is so good and valuable, what kind of trade value do you think he has?
I doubt we could even trade him at all with his present salary. If we renegotiated his contract maybe some team out there might want him. Anybody have any idea at all who might want Daunte Culpepper?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

wtf???? Of course its more than likely that saban more than likely made a mistake, but you have to work with what you have, theres no sense in giving up, we should just lie down and lose untill a franchise QB falls into our lap similar to what Detroit is trying out. Why would we accept failure? What reasoning is there behind that? I had to read your post a couple times to make sure i read it right. C'mon man you cant be serious with this stuff.

actually, the truth is you have to assess what you have, and right now we simply don't know what we have in Duante Culpepper, but i have no doubt finding out is Cam's highest priority...

Back
Top Bottom