cut mare | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

cut mare

DolFan4LyF said:
Cut him already!!!!!!!!!!! He makes Ray Finkle look like a pro bowler! Plus he makes entirely way too much money.

Name ten kickers in the league you would take over him.

There was an article in a Miami newspaper or something where there was an interview with a quote with Mare saying he was very willing to restructure but the Front Office never approached his agent. Pretty strange situation.

phillyphinphan said:
Come on man, let's leave wanny out of this. B/c even with wany's a$$ getting tight at the end of the game it came down to that kick: Mare makes it we win he misses it we don't.....

You have to look at the whole game...no game is lost or won on one play...If the rest of the team does their job (and IMHO, the defense in particular) we win that game. Now, you can say that we win the game if he makes the kick and it's true, but that doesn't mean that the whole reason we lost was due to Mare...A kicker is going to miss some kicks...I've watched football for nearly 30 years and never seen a kicker who made every kick...We have all seen how this team was managed the last 4/5 years...Mare missing a kick is just like Madison or Surtain letting a guy get a long reception on us or ZT tackling a guy 8 yds downfield (after a 1st down) because the middle wasn't stopped up or Ears throwing an interception...it happens...

We are not going to cut him this year, but, if he continues to decline he's gone or restructures next year.

Semedi said:
Well, Nugent was available but we screwed that up.

*sigh*

Right...with all the holes this team has, you think we should draft a kicker when we have a good one now ?? And I suppose we should trade for another RB, maybe Shawn Alexander to spell RW and RB on any down ????

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Martel said:
Sweet thanks for the info!!! What kind of year will A.J. have? Chambers? Will you help me draft my fantasy team??? Your vast football knowledge and ability to see in to the future could really help me out. Thanks again!!

I'm just pointing out the obvious which alot of you guys tend to always overlook. You make change for the sake of change. If it aint broke don't fix it. patience is a virtue. stupid is, as stupid does. is that enough wisdom :goof:

What about the Positives

Why don't we look at the positives instead of the negatives all the time..

How many great kicks and games Mare won for us

He has more touchbacks than most kickers in the league

He can make a 55 yarder and makes it look like an extra point (when accurate)

DolFan4LyF said:
Cut him already!!!!!!!!!!! He makes Ray Finkle look like a pro bowler! Plus he makes entirely way too much money.

if we replaced him you would be the same guy crying to bring him back because your new kicker suxz. (according to you) Mr the glass is half empty dude. :lol:

Remember a few yrs back he was one of the best in the league .....and those kicks he cost us a couple of them i blame on the damn marlins ...but any way how many game winners did he kick ..i think his good kicks out way his bad kicks ...being that most of his kicks are good

Bin saying this for a while now....injury Prone, high salary and declining skills...no more needs to be said. Unfortunately cutting him in not an option at this time, but I can bet that if he wouldn't have been such a hit on our salary cap, Saban would have either cut him by now or asked him to take a big pay cut.

LarryFinFan said:
You have to look at the whole game...no game is lost or won on one play...If the rest of the team does their job (and IMHO, the defense in particular) we win that game. Now, you can say that we win the game if he makes the kick and it's true, but that doesn't mean that the whole reason we lost was due to Mare...A kicker is going to miss some kicks...I've watched football for nearly 30 years and never seen a kicker who made every kick...We have all seen how this team was managed the last 4/5 years...Mare missing a kick is just like Madison or Surtain letting a guy get a long reception on us or ZT tackling a guy 8 yds downfield (after a 1st down) because the middle wasn't stopped up or Ears throwing an interception...it happens...

I would never blame an entire game on one player or play, but the game far to frequently hinges on that one play or player doing his job. Mare went form being a 90% kicker in '01 to 77% in '02 and his percentage has been getting WORSE every year since. He has to accept some culpability for his performance, ish, I'd take 88% form Mare and be more than satisfied. As for comparing Mare to Sam, Zach and Pat....Sam restructured, Zach restructured, and Pat is not here b/c of cap reasons. IT IS NOT time to cut Mare, but his grace period for bouncing back to previous form is over! Get it together or get gone.....

phillyphinphan said:
I would never blame an entire game on one player or play, but the game far to frequently hinges on that one play or player doing his job.

I think this is LFF's point exactly (not to contradict ya). In a game where MANY players fail to deliver when they are needed for "their" one play, you cannot single out any ONE player in the link.

The domino effect begins with the FIRST player not performing his job. A Kicker is ALWAYS LAST in the domino shuffle. The Kicker is the LAST WORD on any points scored. So, whether we score 3pts vs. 7pts usually is not up to the Kicker. It can many times be decided many plays beforehand on a dropped pass, INT, fumble or bad coaching call.

The Kicker merely becomes the scape goat for the entire ill fated process.

Oversimplifying the problem by saying "if the Kicker would have just made the kick" really does not correctly assess the totality of the situation. Even if the offense scores TDs on every position and the game comes down to a final second field goal, the Kicker still has the legitimate right to say "if the offense would have just scored one more TD".

All that said, I do agree Mare has not been as consistent. However, I tend not to believe in "magic bullet theories" and blaming one thing for all. Mare was WITHOUT the placeholder and long snapper combination that helped make him successfull for nearly 2 years. Rhythm and timing are critical to the kicking game. He had unfamiliar pieces around him. And frankly, the system broke down. Take away the ST coaching he had become used to in addition to being without his PH and LS and you have a recipe for disaster.

EDIT: The PH as Turk and LS was Perry.

When you see good kickers or players in general having a "great rhythm" over a period of years, look behind the scenes. Typically, there is consistency in the supporting cast and coaching. Manning and Harrison are great athletes. But they have been together so long AND been in the same SYSTEM with the same OC the entire time. There is a lot to be said for that.

Mare's confidence has been busted, but he's still got fuel in the tank. Everyone deserves a new chance with the new coach. Maybe a change of scenery (Saban) will help Mare get back on track.

NathanHunt said:
I think this is LFF's point exactly (not to contradict ya). In a game where MANY players fail to deliver when they are needed for "their" one play, you cannot single out any ONE player in the link.

The domino effect begins with the FIRST player not performing his job. A Kicker is ALWAYS LAST in the domino shuffle. The Kicker is the LAST WORD on any points scored. So, whether we score 3pts vs. 7pts usually is not up to the Kicker. It can many times be decided many plays beforehand on a dropped pass, INT, fumble or bad coaching call.

The Kicker merely becomes the scape goat for the entire ill fated process.

Oversimplifying the problem by saying "if the Kicker would have just made the kick" really does not correctly assess the totality of the situation. Even if the offense scores TDs on every position and the game comes down to a final second field goal, the Kicker still has the legitimate right to say "if the offense would have just scored one more TD".

All that said, I do agree Mare has not been as consistent. However, I tend not to believe in "magic bullet theories" and blaming one thing for all. Mare was WITHOUT the placeholder and long snapper combination that helped make him successfull for nearly 2 years. Rhythm and timing are critical to the kicking game. He had unfamiliar pieces around him. And frankly, the system broke down. Take away the ST coaching he had become used to in addition to being without his PH and LS and you have a recipe for disaster.

EDIT: The PH as Turk and LS was Perry.

When you see good kickers or players in general having a "great rhythm" over a period of years, look behind the scenes. Typically, there is consistency in the supporting cast and coaching. Manning and Harrison are great athletes. But they have been together so long AND been in the same SYSTEM with the same OC the entire time. There is a lot to be said for that.

Mare's confidence has been busted, but he's still got fuel in the tank. Everyone deserves a new chance with the new coach. Maybe a change of scenery (Saban) will help Mare get back on track.

Logical post. I somewhat subscribe to the "domino theory" but I put much more weight into palyer execution. No matter what has happend in qtrs 1-3 you MUST execute when called upon. On the play that I cited as an example even though Mare did not have his normal ph or ls, the snap and the hold were executed the KICK was not. Again, Mare was NOT the reason we lost that game, but if MARE executes the called play our chances of winning increase tenfold.

Another point of contention I have with your post is if a kicker states that "if the offense would have scored one more touchdown" he is assigning blame and deflecting personal responsibility which are both no-no's in this game. If a WR drops a curcial third down pass (no offense Derrious) that would have sealed the game, we punt and and the opposing teams drives for the winning score, that WR (Sorry Derrious) can't say "yeah I dropped the pass, but if the defense would've held we still could've won". No, as a man and a professional player he has to stand up and say "I make that catch the games over, no excuses".

I dont want my main point ot get lost in all of this, Mare's declining play has at the very least called for a restructuring (whether we need him too or not) and that his grace period is over and so is my patience with him. With a new offense and shaky QB play we will need every point we can get this year and if Mare cant convert 85-88% (which is merely average) of his kicks. We need to start looking at other options or at the very least open the position up for competition.....

Back
Top Bottom