cut mare | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

cut mare

Mare is the best K in lot of things, if we'll pay him a low salary with bonus by fg%, and made. if will do all the thing that he did in pasts season, he worth the money with the bonuses, but if he won't, he worth the low salary.
Mare it's one of the best K in the NFL maybe need improve like old times. he's the recordman in Miami history, and i'm sure he's better than any other K in the FA and a lot starters in other teams.

onside kicks, the best
kickoffs w/ touchbacks, the best
FG% carrer, one of the bests
longs FG, one of the bests

phillyphinphan said:
Logical post. I somewhat subscribe to the "domino theory" but I put much more weight into palyer execution. No matter what has happend in qtrs 1-3 you MUST execute when called upon. On the play that I cited as an example even though Mare did not have his normal ph or ls, the snap and the hold were executed the KICK was not. Again, Mare was NOT the reason we lost that game, but if MARE executes the called play our chances of winning increase tenfold.

Another point of contention I have with your post is if a kicker states that "if the offense would have scored one more touchdown" he is assigning blame and deflecting personal responsibility which are both no-no's in this game. If a WR drops a curcial third down pass (no offense Derrious) that would have sealed the game, we punt and and the opposing teams drives for the winning score, that WR (Sorry Derrious) can't say "yeah I dropped the pass, but if the defense would've held we still could've won". No, as a man and a professional player he has to stand up and say "I make that catch the games over, no excuses".

I dont want my main point ot get lost in all of this, Mare's declining play has at the very least called for a restructuring (whether we need him too or not) and that his grace period is over and so is my patience with him. With a new offense and shaky QB play we will need every point we can get this year and if Mare cant convert 85-88% (which is merely average) of his kicks. We need to start looking at other options or at the very least open the position up for competition.....

This is very well put....what piss me off about Mare as well, is that he decline to take a pay cut when asked to.

Eshlemon said:
We'd save $1,050,000 versus the cap this year but add $2,067,499 to next year as dead cap.
Enough reason for me to say, "Keep him!" Maybe get another coach for him. It did wonders before.

phillyphinphan said:
Another point of contention I have with your post is if a kicker states that "if the offense would have scored one more touchdown" he is assigning blame and deflecting personal responsibility which are both no-no's in this game.

Wayne did this last year. He publicly blamed Mare for 2 losses in '03. I'm not a fan of anyone other than the PLAYER assigning blame to himself. I thought Wayne was wrong for doing this. ESPECIALLY with a Kicker. You know, those fragile egos and such... :D

I did not necessarily intend to convey it was OK for the Kicker to escape blame while initiating his own ("If the offense..."). However, I was simply making the argument that ANY player could point to other players as to issue blame for his failure. It just so happens that Kickers get a lot because of the timing and finality of their opportunities in any given game.

Your point was not lost and I completely agree ... we need competition at K. Wanny never truly made Mare feel he had to earn his job. And, it's time he did. But, on the flip side, you can't fix all the problems in one year.

However, I'd have to think if Mare does not return to his accurate ways, Nick might have a short leash on him during the season.

Bring back NEDNEY! :rofl3:

finmann said:
This is very well put....what piss me off about Mare as well, is that he decline to take a pay cut when asked to.

Thnx, if sam or any other player that plays way more snaps restructures Mare better fall in line and do what's asked of him.....

I liked Matt Bryant. He went to the Bucs after he left us.

NathanHunt said:
Wayne did this last year. He publicly blamed Mare for 2 losses in '03. I'm not a fan of anyone other than the PLAYER assigning blame to himself. I thought Wayne was wrong for doing this. ESPECIALLY with a Kicker. You know, those fragile egos and such... :D

Yeah, I shook my head at those comments too, but I gave Wayne a pass being that he's not a hardcore football guy like us

NathanHunt said:
... we need competition at K. Wanny never truly made Mare feel he had to earn his job.

I agree 110% with that statement, his lax attitude toward player's mental mistakes was one of the MANY reasons I couldn't wait for the Wanny era to be over. The Miami franchise has ALWAYS stood for for Excellence and Wanny didn't hold his players to that standard.

NathanHunt said:
But, on the flip side, you can't fix all the problems in one year.

This is the reason that I don't necessarily want him gone now.This is also the reason why I'm hesitant to put a win number on this years version of the fins, being that this is year one in a 3 to 5 year plan.....

phillyphinphan said:
Thnx, if sam or any other player that plays way more snaps restructures Mare better fall in line and do what's asked of him.....

Mare has done what was asked of him. He restructured in 2003 and they extended his contract in 2004. That is why his cap number is so high.

Last year he received a $2 million signing bonus, a $1.19 million base salary cut to $660k and an extension of three years to 2009.

Mare also said publicly this year he was willing to restructure if needed. I don't remember any talk of a pay cut.

byroan said:
I liked Matt Bryant. He went to the Bucs after he left us.

I agree. Mare sucks. I've been wanting him gone since that Pats game two years ago. We should've kept Matt Bryant for a fraction of the price.

I stated early on in this thread that he still does an excellent job on touchbacks and the odd onside kick he's asked to execute.

I further stated that you don't just cut him unless you've got an upgrade available.

That said, this idea that blame should be deflected from Mare' for the Houston and NE losses is lame. THAT is why you have a field goal kicker. This is the VERY type of situation that everyone always says, "Bellichick puts his players in a position to win at the end of the game". Well, that's what occurred in both of those losses (albeit, the Houston game was a penalty on a missed field goal, giving us a first down that turned into a turnover near the end of the game, rather than a last second FG attempt). Mare' flat out didn't execute when the team was put in a position to win at the end of the game.

No, again, I'm not saying to cut him because there's nothing out there that's an upgrade at the moment, but folks need to quit throwing blame around at the team/coaching for Mare's failure to execute when the team was put in a position to win.

Merman said:
Mare has done what was asked of him. He restructured in 2003 and they extended his contract in 2004. That is why his cap number is so high.

Last year he received a $2 million signing bonus, a $1.19 million base salary cut to $660k and an extention of three years to 2009.

Mare also said publicly this year he was willing to restructure if needed. I don't remember any talk of a pay cut.

Hmmmm, That must be why there hasn't been any talk from the FO about a restructure. Even with a base of $660k my patience is still not there. I made excuses for him 3 yrs ago, gave him the benefit of the doubt 2 yrs ago, and started grumbling about him last year. This year it's time for him to put up and earn his spot....

phillyphinphan said:
Hmmmm, That must be why there hasn't been any talk from the FO about a restructure. Even with a base of $660k my patience is still not there. I made excuses for him 3 yrs ago, gave him the benefit of the doubt 2 yrs ago, and started grumbling about him last year. This year it's time for him to put up and earn his spot....

That was last year.

Mare, Olindo
Salary History
2000 1027000.00
2001 800000.00
2002 1500000.00
2003 530000.00
2004 660000.00
2005 1050000.00
2006 1400000.00
2007 1500000.00
2008 1500000.00