Cutler agrees to sign for fins | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler agrees to sign for fins

You're not seeing the whole picture or at least here you're trying to paint a prettier one for yourself.

The coaching staff and FO doesn't get a pass from me for

1) paying Moore whom they do not even consider a viable option to take over the starting spot,

2) knowing that and knowing full well that tannehill suffered a season ending knee injury and still did not address the back up position with younger telent to develop in case there were setbacks like we now face,

3) now being in panic mode they had to coax a 34 yr old washed up and retired Cutler whose biggest asset is a strong arm but just also spent the rest of last year on IR to get surgery on his throwing shoulder. Not to mention, his offseason training has consisted of not rehabbing his throwing arm but rather "dieting" on beer, chix wings, and nachos to sit in a broadcasting booth.

But nepotism; cool story.

I'm not sure you are seeing the whole picture. Tanehill was the young talent Gase was in the process of developing. This is year 2 for Gase, not year 4 or 5.

They are not paying Moore to be a full time starter. Moore was / is being paid to support and mentor Tanehill. Moore is being paid because he fits in well with the team and causes no distractions. Moore is being paid because he has the experience and ability to come into a game without many practice reps and win it. (See the Arizona game) Moore is exactly the type of backup GMs want on the team when you are developing a younger starter. You seem to forget that Tanehill was that guy.

You can whine about not bringing in young talent during the offseason, but young Qbs capable of starting a full season and winning games aren't developed in 1 offseason. Devoting resources in trying to find one with Tanehill and Moore already on the roster would not have been wise. The Dolphins were prepared for a set back in having Moore. They were not prepared to lose him for the season. No team in the NFL really is.

I'm not sure you are seeing the whole picture. Tanehill was the young talent Gase was in the process of developing.

Uh huh. 29 years young. Coming off a season ending knee injury.

Moore is being paid because he fits in well with the team and causes no distractions. Moore is being paid because he has the experience and ability to come into a game without many practice reps and win it.

So how's that working out for ya now? . . .

young Qbs capable of starting a full season and winning games aren't developed in 1 offseason.

Would have gotten some pretty decent experience this season.

Devoting resources in trying to find one with Tanehill and Moore already on the roster would not have been wise.

Oh really? You can say that now with a straight face?

Last edited:
  • The 10 million for this year has no effect on what we will give Landry. Over 70 million in cap room next year and who do we really need to sign long term next year? Landry, James, possibly Ajayi, maaaybe Maxwell if he balls out.

Talk about having the excitement and enthusiasm for a brand new season taken from you. I have no interest in watching a Jay Cutler led offense.

Don't get me wrong, I am and always will be a Miami Dolphins fan. If the team does well with Cutler under center, I'll be happy for them. But I just can't get excited about it. I dislike Jay Cutler's game THAT much. I'm not sure there's a player out there that I was would have less excitement for. He's just an awful, awful QB and not a personality I can root for. If he was any good, he would have had a job already rather than as an announcer. But nobody wanted him.

But now, Gase apparently wants him because he's 'familiar' with him. So freaking what? I don't get that. He coached him for ONE freaking season and that makes him a more attractive option?? When Gase first landed in Chicago, he certainly wasn't familiar with him. So why couldn't he have gone with an unfamiliar QB again? And a better one at that. Anyone saying that Gase must believe he's the best option is missing the point, IMO. This is NFL nepotism at it's finest. I'm not a Colin Kaepernick fan, but he's a better QB that Jay Cutler by far, even if not a 'system' fit. Hell, Matt Moore is a better QB than Jay Cutler -- which is exactly why Matt still had a job and Cutler did not.

I'd much rather have seen the Dolphins find a capable and experienced BACKUP QB to Matt Moore than this. You don't pay someone 10M + incentives unless you plan on them being the starter. Cutler is not a starting QB. Everyone has seen that movie already.

This move absolutely sucks.

Lol you are acting like Jay Cutler banged your girlfriend and killed your dog. You dont have to want to get a beer with a guy to root for them on your team. Gase believes hes the right choice and I have a lot of faith in Gase, particularly when it comes to QBs. If you think hes wrong and Cutler will be awful, fine. But Jay Cutler of all people is really the person who made you lose interest? Very odd.

seems logical captain.

Last edited:
What does that even mean? Panicked? What were they supposed to do wait until 1st or 2nd round of cuts for another Doughty to fall from the tree? Give me a break.

No.....either stick with Moore and deal for another QB to back him up.......would have been a lot cheaper and wouldn't kill us going forward. Plus, at this stage, while Cutler IN FOOTBALL PLAYING CONDITION might be better than Moore I don't see it now as a big a gap between them as some are saying (read: hoping). speaking of hoping....I hope I'm wrong but I think Cutler is gonna come out flat, gassed easily and inaccurate.....maybe by mid October or so he'll get his "legs" again but at that point the season is half over......I'm not expecting that we'll be killing at by that point.

Everyone who supports this seems to have their Jay Cutler Rose Colored Glasses on......I pointed this out before but has he even THROWN a football since his surgery??.....Has he been rehabbing it right or doing the proper exercises to get it back in shape and strengthen the muscles?...not to mention the rest of his body....while other players were working out, doing OTA's, camp, etc. Cutler has been sitting around (not that he could be blamed since he didn't know this was gonna come his way)......and that brings up another point - an idle QB sitting out waiting for a possible call as a potential replacement still keeps his reps up while waiting for his shot....Cutler, thinking his career was over and he'd be in the booth, I'm sure that was the furthest thing from his mind and he hasn't been killing himself to stay in shape or throwing a bunch of balls to stay sharp.

As a longtime Bears guy, lemme tell you that he will frustrate you NOT because he is bad, but because he is so often good....but not quite often enough.

I love it, keeps me interested.

Total, "Melon! We need you!" scenario from Back to School...Triple Landry, lol.

Back
Top Bottom