Dalvin Cook working out in Miami?? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dalvin Cook working out in Miami??

Im not sure why everyone thinks this happens on June 1st.

Afaik, June 1st is a starting point, not a deadline.

What is the date he has to be cut by?
That's when the Vikings save more money and when we have more money. Sure. Could be any time before TC.

Settle? No. But again, I disagree because spending money on an injury riddled 28-year old player, for a position that is not all that important in this era of football, makes zero sense. ESPECIALLY when we can put that money on much greater needs at other positions which would improve the team to a greater degree. He just doesn't move the needle as much as other options. Agree or not, it's a true analytical analysis.

True analytical analysis? I like it.

OK, so who is the player Miami can get, right now that would help this team to a greater degree then Cook?

Cook won't effect our ability to extend Wilkins.

I also am not a fan of passing on Cook or any quality player because a different player may become available at a later date.

So right now... Who's the player who helps this team to a greater degree?

That's when the Vikings save more money and when we have more money. Sure. Could be any time before TC.
I get that part, cap situation changes with a post june 1st cut, but why does everyone think it happens ON June 1st? (Nick Hicks being one)

I get that part, cap situation changes with a post june 1st cut, but why does everyone think it happens ON June 1st? (Nick Hicks being one)
I think everyone thinks that we could learn about what happens as early as June 1st. At least that's how I feel.

I think everyone thinks that we could learn about what happens as early as June 1st. At least that's how I feel.
I hope so too, but I feel like the Vikings arent willing to play ball here. They seem to be happy dragging things out.

That being the case, I dont know what their cap situation is, they could very well decide to keep him if they have the space, but if they dont, when would they need to move him to comply with the cap regulations?

I hope so too, but I feel like the Vikings arent willing to play ball here. They seem to be happy dragging things out.

That being the case, I dont know what their cap situation is, they could very well decide to keep him if they have the space, but if they dont, when would they need to move him to comply with the cap regulations?
Right. But there is no point in dragging it out after June 1. Any trade isn't happening at that point. They can keep him and pay him or cut him. Noone's trading for him after June 1.

Right. But there is no point in dragging it out after June 1. Any trade isn't happening at that point. They can keep him and pay him or cut him. Noone's trading for him after June 1.
That's what Im not following.

Trade deadline isnt until like week 8 of the season.

Im not sure how you can say no one is trading for him after June 1st.

Why would you trade for him? Vikings are able to just cut him to save the cap hit.

You're failing to remember that Minnesota doesn't actually want to pay him.

Its about saving the money. If he's on the roster week 1, his salary is full guaranteed for the season.

At this point they are just being spiteful, he could've been released already with a June 1st designation. Davlin has shown incredible restraint by not causing a big problem for Minnesota. I wouldn't have been so classy. Everyday that's gone by this off season has seen less and less cap dollars available to go to DC.

Teams should be required to designate someone a post June 1st cut by the first day of free agency and the player should be a FA immediately.

This is exactly why I get so angry at those "players should honor their contracts" BS posts. Anyone who says that should be punched in the face immediately and branded a nazi because few things are more un-American than this.

You're failing to remember that Minnesota doesn't actually want to pay him.

Its about saving the money. If he's on the roster week 1, his salary is full guaranteed for the season.

At this point they are just being spiteful, he could've been released already with a June 1st designation. Davlin has shown incredible restraint by not causing a big problem for Minnesota. I wouldn't have been so classy. Everyday that's gone by this off season has seen less and less cap dollars available to go to DC.

Teams should be required to designate someone a post June 1st cut by the first day of free agency and the player should be a FA immediately.

This is exactly why I get so angry at those "players should honor their contracts" BS posts. Anyone who says that should be punched in the face immediately and branded a nazi because few things are more un-American than this.
See, I think this is a big part of it.

They want Cook, but dont want to pay him that contract.

Minny is PISSED off that he is willing to restructure or rework his deal with Miami but NOT with them.

And yes, I could see them being spiteful enough to wait until the last minute to cut him. That is why a token trade would be beneficial. Get him in the building sooner for a late draft pick, or someone like Iggy. Also prevents a dark horse from coming in and trading for him.

See, I think this is a big part of it.

They want Cook, but dont want to pay him that contract.

Minny is PISSED off that he is willing to restructure or rework his deal with Miami but NOT with them.

And yes, I could see them being spiteful enough to wait until the last minute to cut him. That is why a token trade would be beneficial. Get him in the building sooner for a late draft pick, or someone like Iggy. Also prevents a dark horse from coming in and trading for him.

If we had a NEED maybe but we don’t.

He’s a luxury, you don’t overpay luxury players.

You only entertain the thought if you are getting a good deal.

Let him take him take more money to play in New Jersey or Buffalo.

We set the terms with every player now because we don’t need anyone.

It’s an overcrowded room as it stands now.

I don't see how he's a luxury. His being on this team gives both a style of offense that can still win if Tua is hurt while also pushing Mostert and Achane into the passing game. They would need to stick 8 in the box to stop him leaving the speed fleet of fast WRs and RBs with only 3 to cover in the passing game. Is winning more games and being able to win if Tua goes down a luxury? If so, lux it up!

I know you're high on Achane and the other guys, but I actually see it as a need. Ill leave it at that.

Anybody thinking we should not sign Cook is not thinking straight. Mostert, who many would consider to be our main RB, is 31 freakin' years old. That's ancient for that position regardless of how much wear and tear he has on him. Then we have Achane, a rookie, and Jeff Wilson who is really just an OK back. Ahmed is a decent #4 but is he a lead back? - NO.

Cook apparently is in great shape, his shoulder is fine, and wants to play in Miami. No brainer IMO.

couldn't ross just give him a lower salary and a large bonus to make up the difference in his yearly income?

something like 3 mill a year with a 10 million dollar signing bonus?
There are several ways to work his contract where basically it'll be a 2 year deal with an out for the team that won't hamper our ability to resign Wilkins or Seiler. All those posts acting like it's an either/or are way off base.

Back
Top Bottom