Dan Cambell Volume and Intensity | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Cambell Volume and Intensity

Campbell's personality inspires a "win or die trying" attitude in his players.

McDaniel's personality inspires a "let's have fun and laugh" attitude in his.

Tremendous difference in the rugged game of pro football. If we were running a Broadway play or a comedy show it might be different.
If McD and Campbell had a baby.....Perfection!

And here’s the thing. If they didn’t think he was ready to be the HC (but thought Gase was lol), why not make him one of the coordinators? He was the TE coach. It still would have been a promo. Instead he was further groomed in NO. Could have been groomed here.
They actually wanted that but Campbell was so pissed. He wanted nothing to do with it.

Honestly I don’t think the lions are anything special . They kinda remind me of the nfc version of Miami. I think if we played them fully healthy we beat them. They got rocked by the ravens just like us. Only difference is. They play in crappy conference and got home games and stayed healthy.

Our roster healthy I will take over theirs and I don’t say that much. Usually I pick the other teams roster when comparing winning teams. Tua diced them up last year. And would again.

Now I do think Campbell is great guy and great motivator. I think he has correct philosophy of building a team. Running and toughness. I don’t like how we are built.

I just don’t think they are that good. I hate saying that when they are in conference game and we haven’t sniffed one in 31 years. But the good teams like ravens even bills on road I always feel like we are going to get blown out. I wouldn’t feel that way on road verse lions.

Last edited:

I remember the speech he gave after pulling us out of a nosedive. Same guy 8 years later. No BS.

And compare that to this:

That team won three road playoff games in a row as a wildcard before winning the Super Bowl.

In both videos you see a gruff and masculine head coach who extolls the virtues of the team and then turns it over to a player leader whose demeanor follows suit in rallying the team. That's the stuff of winning in the rugged and intense game of pro football. I'll guarantee you the same dynamic is functioning in the Detroit Lions' locker room this year, and it may just be strong enough to get them to the Super Bowl as well, if not win it.

Why the hell do you think that? Do you really think he had nothing to do with their turn around? Really?

Because I don’t think he’s overly valuable to the “turnaround”. Not nearly as critical as the QB, GM or both coordinators. I don’t believe him to have a specialty other than this mythical “leader of men” stature that’s he’s been labeled with.

If he was left to coach either the offense or defense I think they’d really struggle.

The team started 0-8 in his first season and won two less games than it did before they hired him finishing 3-13-1.

They followed that up with a 1-6 start in his second year before Jared Goff had a stellar end to the 2022 season throwing 14 TDs and 0 picks over their last 9 games and that play has continued this year with a super talented roster.

It’s a nice story and I’m rooting for the team but I’m not pretending things mean more than they do because they beat Tampa and LAR when those teams wouldn’t actually sniff the playoffs in the AFC.

I have no doubt he would’ve been fired before his second season concluded if he were hired by the Dolphins. I can’t fathom anyone thinking differently.

So ya I take exception to fans who think we missed out on something special by not hiring him because they were fortunate to beat Tampa last weekend at home, something they couldn’t do when they played us last year. It’s not like he was playing Buffalo on the road with Skylar Thompson.

Couple that with his time management gaffes and there you have the basis for my statements. He struggled with basic math at the end of last weeks game.

Ya go ahead and tell me how much I undervalue leadership.

Matt Nagy and Brian Daboll are two recent coach of the year winners. Sometimes you have to look at things from a bigger perspective and not fall for the narrative.

I’m sure his speeches are legendary though and his players would run through walls for him.

Last edited:
Because I don’t think he’s overly valuable to the “turnaround”. Not nearly as critical as the QB, GM or both coordinators. I don’t believe him to have a specialty other than this mythical “leader of men” stature that’s he’s been labeled with.

If he was left to coach either the offense or defense I think they’d really struggle.

The team started 0-8 in his first season and won two less games than it did before they hired him finishing 3-13-1.

They followed that up with a 1-6 start in his second year before Jared Goff had a stellar end to the 2022 season throwing 14 TDs and 0 picks over their last 9 games and that play has continued this year with a super talented roster.

It’s a nice story and I’m rooting for the team but I’m not pretending things mean more than they do because they beat Tampa and LAR when those teams wouldn’t actually sniff the playoffs in the AFC.

I have no doubt he would’ve been fired before his second season concluded if he were hired by the Dolphins. I can’t fathom anyone thinking differently.

So ya I take exception to fans who think we missed out on something special by not hiring him because they were fortunate to beat Tampa last weekend at home, something they couldn’t do when they played us last year. It’s not like he was playing Buffalo on the road with Skylar Thompson.

Couple that with his time management gaffes and there you have the basis for my statements. He struggled with basic math at the end of last weeks game.

Ya go ahead and tell me how much I undervalue leadership.

Matt Nagy and Brian Daboll are two recent coach of the year winners. Sometimes you have to look at things from a bigger perspective and not fall for the narrative.

I’m sure his speeches are legendary though and his players would run through walls for him.
Lol why would I tell you you undervalue leadership? I don't know what you value and don't. I just find it funny that you give the HC no credit at all. Ok so serious question without googling... (for me I mean) who has his OCs and DCs been? Have they been constant with him or have they changed? That would be one indicator of his print on the team...

Lol why would I tell you you undervalue leadership? I don't know what you value and don't. I just find it funny that you give the HC no credit at all. Ok so serious question without googling... (for me I mean) who has his OCs and DCs been? Have they been constant with him or have they changed? That would be one indicator of his print on the team...

Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson, who will be announced as Washington’s new HC after they lose to SF on Sunday. Glenn is will also be a HC shortly.

It’s not so much that I don’t think he deserves credit., he does, clearly. I just wouldn’t trust him to coach my offense or my defense and would prefer he not make clock management decisions for me.

Certainly his intangibles outside of that are through the roof.

I don’t see him as a lasting figure but a place holder once they realize they aren’t getting over the hump.

But the whole conversation stems from the fact that I don’t think he was remotely the right candidate for us in 2018. I don’t see how he would’ve lasted more than a season and a half before getting the axe.

I’d hire him to coach special teams in a heartbeat though.

Aaron Glenn and Ben Johnson, who will be announced as Washington’s new HC after they lose to SF on Sunday. Glenn is will also be a HC shortly.

It’s not so much that I don’t think he deserves credit., he does, clearly. I just wouldn’t trust him to coach my offense or my defense and would prefer he not make clock management decisions for me.

Certainly his intangibles outside of that are through the roof.

I don’t see him as a lasting figure but a place holder once they realize they aren’t getting over the hump.

But the whole conversation stems from the fact that I don’t think he was remotely the right candidate for us in 2018. I don’t see how he would’ve lasted more than a season and a half before getting the axe.

I’d hire him to coach special teams in a heartbeat though.
He may not have been the right candidate for us in 2018. What I can’t fathom is why we believed Adam Gase was. Probably the least credentialed / qualified HC we have ever hired.

And compare that to this:

That team won three road playoff games in a row as a wildcard before winning the Super Bowl.

In both videos you see a gruff and masculine head coach who extolls the virtues of the team and then turns it over to a player leader whose demeanor follows suit in rallying the team. That's the stuff of winning in the rugged and intense game of pro football. I'll guarantee you the same dynamic is functioning in the Detroit Lions' locker room this year, and it may just be strong enough to get them to the Super Bowl as well, if not win it.

What you see in the Campbell video - and in the Lions one at the start of the thread is he believes in going full speed / full contact in practices. Old school. You play like you practice. There is no getting around that. I don’t know how much of this goes on anymore vs the olden days but he’s not wrong. I’m not sure what they are allowed to do / how much hitting / full pads etc are legal anymore.

He may not have been the right candidate for us in 2018. What I can’t fathom is why we believed Adam Gase was. Probably the least credentialed / qualified HC we have ever hired.

Dude went to the playoffs in his first year as HC and lost his starting QB.

He’s not Cam Cameron.

Dude went to the playoffs in his first year as HC and lost his starting QB.

He’s not Cam Cameron.
He did but then he imploded. And now he’s out of the NFL. He had no business being a a HC though- he was never a real coordinator and followed Peyton around - like any of us couldn’t have done that and looked good?

Jay Ajai’s emergence was what really made that season.

Also Matt Moore went 3-1 in the last month of 2016 and got us to the playoffs. I’m not sure he wasn’t better than Tannehill TBH (we won in Buffalo at the end). Anyhow, the droproff from Ryan to Matt wasn’t much if anything.

Back
Top Bottom