Dan Campbell | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan Campbell

I would have rather seen what Dan Campbell had as a coach than hire Adam Gase.
Me too and I think everyone here was sick of my continuous opining for him. In my opinion he should have been rewarded for taking a listless 1-3 team reminding them how to have fun and play like a team. Those first two blowouts over Tennessee and Houston were amazing. A 6 TD first half against Houston was so special because for whatever reason we had never beaten them - even when they were an expansion team we managed to lose a game to them despite being heavily favored. Campbelll went 5-7 w wins over “genius” coaches such as Belicjik, Jon Harbaugh and Chip Kelley. He was on record saying you could win a SB w Tannehilll but you didn’t want him dropping back 30-40 times every game. Campbell took a team that played like cream puffs and made them physical as hell overnight. I went to the game where we beat Baltimore. The hitting was ferocious on both sides in that game - a 19-17 or so slug fest where you could hear pads popping all day. Bottom line Dan Campbell made football fun for me again that year and the players love(d) him. I hope he has success if he gets the Lions job - and yes, he would have built a physical, ground and pound team around Tannehill and gee whiz - look how that’s working out !!! Adam Gase was an idiot and I thought it was a slap in the nuts to hire a guy w ZERO credentials over a guy that just coached your team respectably for 12 weeks.

PS - of note, Reshad Jones had the best year of his career and was the best S in football the year under Campbell w 5 picks, 2 pick 6’s and he led the league in tackles. Cam Wake had 0 sacks the 1st four games under Philbin then reeled off 7 w 4 FFs in the two blowout wins. Too bad he blew his Achilles the next week. Cam had season-worthy stats in 2 full games haha. Gotta love Dan Campbell and what he gave us that year.

Me too and I think everyone here was sick of my continuous opining for him. In my opinion he should have been rewarded for taking a listless 1-3 team reminding them how to have fun and play like a team. Those first two blowouts over Tennessee and Houston were amazing. A 6 TD first half against Houston was so special because for whatever reason we had never beaten them - even when they were an expansion team we managed to lose a game to them despite being heavily favored. Campbelll went 5-7 w wins over “genius” coaches such as Belicjik, Jon Harbaugh and Chip Kelley. He was on record saying you could win a SB w Tannehilll but you didn’t want him dropping back 30-40 times every game. Campbell took a team that played like cream puffs and made them physical as hell overnight. I went to the game where we beat Baltimore. The hitting was ferocious on both sides in that game - a 19-17 or so slug fest where you could hear pads popping all day. Bottom line Dan Campbell made football fun for me again that year and the players love(d) him. I hope he has success if he gets the Lions job - and yes, he would have built a physical, ground and pound team around Tannehill and gee whiz - look how that’s working out !!! Adam Gase was an idiot and I thought it was a slap in the nuts to hire a guy w ZERO credentials over a guy that just coached your team respectably for 12 weeks.

PS - of note, Reshad Jones had the best year of his career and was the best S in football the year under Campbell w 5 picks, 2 pick 6’s and he led the league in tackles. Cam Wake had 0 sacks the 1st four games under Philbin then reeled off 7 w 4 FFs in the two blowout wins. Too bad he blew his Achilles the next week. Cam had season-worthy stats in 2 full games haha. Gotta love Dan Campbell and what he gave us that year.
I agree with most of this. I believe he needs confident experienced coordinators. Sad that he has gone to Detroit. If he wins 8 games there, he should get coach of the year. Definitely thought he should have been given the chance. Look at what Gase did. Would he have been worse?

Always remember his first two games as a coach. That 41 point first half against the Texans was something else.

He wasn't ready to be head coach. Saints seemed like the perfect spot for him to go and gain experience as assistant head coach with Payton

I'd like to see him be a head coach but not the Lions. Just seems like a terrible spot for any head coach
I was at that game against the Texans. It was glorious but then the second half was dull, we blew our load. Haha

Never understood the fascination with the guy.

Still don't despite your post.

Completely forgot about the guy until today. A footnote in Davie lore.

I think he could have had success here, but it may have taken some time. I'm glad he is getting a chance, though I wish it was in a better situation.

Seened to me he knew back then he needed more experience, and took jobs to put him on that path. I seem to recall an interview suggesting as much, but i could never cite it. Just cobwebs of my memory.

Back
Top Bottom