Dan will get Miami a Good QB. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan will get Miami a Good QB.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I'd say Sage is closer to starting for us than Eli and Rivers..If they're drafted in the first round, that kind of money can't sit on the bench and we'll be in earlier than later, but are we ready for that kind of growing pain?

Rivers won't be ready to start for at least two years because he's so screwed up. That would be the biggest waste to take him first because our team is built to win now & we need someone that can come in & play right away.

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

You're joking right....:lol:

Look I could say that I like Sage, but i would be lying considering the fact that ive never seen him play, i mean, really play.

Now I'm all for giving this kid a shot, but not here and not now, this team has got enough potential to go all the way and I just don't believe you put a team of this caliber and the responsibilies that come with it in the hands of an unproven kid.

Maybe, If our coaching staff really believed in this kid (Witch i doubt they do) I could live with Brunell coming in for a few years and then handing the team over to Sage. Meaning we skip a stud QB in this draft and go WR O-Line, but I don't like that idea either.

We should bring in a veteran, promote Sage to #2 and diaper a rookie at #3. Although I'm not sold on Rivers either, I kinda like Losman.:tongue:

You mean we shouldn't take a chance like NE did 2 years ago, when they gave Brady the keys in the car, um a kid drafted in the 6th round, a kid who lost his 1st two then went on a tear, who wouldn't let Drew back on the field when Drew was healthy, you mean find out if you have jewel, but keep it in the safe and never let it shine, like NE let their jewel out and see how bright it could be. You mean we're so close that some new blood would just stop what we've doing....I know, we're like Philly, except they seem to get to the conf. championship before they get hosed. We haven't been in the playoffs, just like Jake Delhomme had all that experience for a team Fox was building and now they're in the SB just like non experience Brady, and now even Brady's back.

Are you should we couldn't try a little new blood..have a vet on the sideline to help him in low times.

Originally posted by SMadison29

Rivers won't be ready to start for at least two years because he's so screwed up. That would be the biggest waste to take him first because our team is built to win now & we need someone that can come in & play right away.

Good god what part of us needing to draft a QB early do you not understand?

I REALLY hate this "we're built to win now" crap. Tell me, how are we built to win now? Our defense? YES our defense is good, but it has been good for FIVE YEARS and it's got us no where. We have TWO YEARS before this defense falls apart due to age and high salaries, what then?

This team can win now AND later if we get the ball rolling. BUt that means we NEED a young QB on our team.

yes, I understand ANY rookie QB we bring in probably won't start next year. But look at the big picture. What if we do sign Brunelle? Or someone else on the FA? They have to come in and learn a new system, and Brunelle is old. What do you propose we do in 2 years when he has to retire? What then? We'll be back to square one, and we'll be forced to rebuild while our young offense gets older!

The future of this team is our young offense. We have the TE, WR, and RB. I also believe we have a keeper in smith. We NEED A QB THAT WILL BE HERE IN 8 YEARS. Brunelle would be a patch fix, as would Garcia or any other veteran QB in the FA this year. Sorry, but that's the way it is. 2 years and their out. Should we pick one up? YES WE SHOULD. Does that mean we can ignore a QB in this draft? NO.

Look around you, we HAD a franchise QB. But we DID NOT DRAFT A ROOKIE TO GROOM TWO YEARS BEFORE HE RETIRED. And look where we are now! Now you're sitting here saying "bring in a vet so we can win now" and are completely oblivious to the fact that IF that vet takes us to the big dance, we'll be stuck in this SAME predicament in two years! YES we need to bring in a starting QB, but that's what the FA is for. We NEED a rookie that will be ready to go in two years, when whomever we pull out of the FA retires or gets the boot, that's the way it is. The Draft is used to get players for the FUTURE. Look to the FA for your WR's and OL. Draft the QB NOW so in 2-3 years when our defense goes down the toilet, we have a high calibre offense to fall back on.

You'd think this franchise of all franchises would have learned their lesson about not drafting QB's. WE HAVE HAD A VETERAN PATCH QB SINCE MARINO LEFT. And we get further and further away from the SB.

And who says Rivers is so screwed up? He has a goofy release, and hold the ball low, end of story. News flash, it will take about a week to a month to teach him to hold the ball higher. And Marino had a goofy throw as well. MANY QB's have a goofy throw. Does the fact that he has the 2nd most yards ever in the NCAA and a season compeltion rating of over 70% mean nothing to you?

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

You mean we shouldn't take a chance like NE did 2 years ago, when they gave Brady the keys in the car, um a kid drafted in the 6th round, a kid who lost his 1st two then went on a tear, who wouldn't let Drew back on the field when Drew was healthy, you mean find out if you have jewel, but keep it in the safe and never let it shine, like NE let their jewel out and see how bright it could be. You mean we're so close that some new blood would just stop what we've doing....I know, we're like Philly, except they seem to get to the conf. championship before they get hosed. We haven't been in the playoffs, just like Jake Delhomme had all that experience for a team Fox was building and now they're in the SB just like non experience Brady, and now even Brady's back.

Are you should we couldn't try a little new blood..have a vet on the sideline to help him in low times.

Stranger things (or at least AS strange) have happened.

I'm not saying to hand the ball over to a bunch of rookies, but I don't like it when coaches (Wanny) get all hung up on one player and let that blind them as to others' talents/potential.

I'm pretty much open to ANYTHING if it has a chance of sparking things up. We don't have enough fire from game to game imo.

Having been in the league as long as Sage has and having had I believe 2 full seasons experience in Norv's system and with the players on this offense, if Sage is not ready now to go out and play, I'm not sure he ever will be. Because he's absolutely familiar with Norv's system, I do trust him to start from day 1.

But I do not entrust the franchise to him. We need our next big guy. If we lock up Sage Rosenfels, then Sage goes onto play really well, lets face it...it can only be a good situation cuz it means WE can trade him away to another team...rather than us constantly giving up future picks for other peoples' players.

Originally posted by Pigskin Pimp

You're joking right....:lol:

not entirely. I think we should just look at where we're at next season. I REALLY hope we make a shot for Eli. Shoot far the moon, and you'll land amongst the stars is what I've always been told. So shoot for Eli, and settle for Roth. If we don't move up, then take Rivers.

But that will leave us with the task of signing a vet. QB. I'm all for Brunelle coming for a few years, as long as we KNOW it's for a few years, and we plan ahead for his impending retirement (drafting a rookie QB). And also plan on Sage failing. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Draft a rookie this year, and if we can't get Brunelle, give Sage a shot

My whole family is IA state alumni, and I'm alumnus finishing working on my masters in Architecture there, so I've watched sage. He has a lot of potential. I just hope sitting for this long hasn't dampened that potential. He had a good arm, and was accurate. He wasn't an outright play maker, ISU was more conservative with him at the helm. but the guy made great decisions. He reminds me of a Pennington. Not the best arm, but he was accurate and keeps the ball. That makes him a threat to the defense. Though I don't want to bank on him carrying htis team for years and years to come.

Worst case scenario......if we can't get brunelle.....

Restructure Jay, let Sage start. If he's a total choke job, so be it, we'll put Jay in until the very second that we think our rookie is ready. I don't want Jay at the helm barring extreme circumstances. He has no right to start for this team now. It's sage's chance to get the job done. If Jay returns, it better be a temporary fix until our rookie is ready.

Marino didn't have an awkward release that should be compared with Rivers. The comparison doesnt hold up because Rivers' release is much more awkward, AND because coming out Marino was the one who had the absolute CANNON arm but was dubbed an attitude problem and dumb as a rock, Leaf style. They are like, opposites. The knocks on Rivers are noodle arm and bad release. Marino it was slightly off release (which was or was not true), and attitude/intelligence issues (which DEFINITELY wasn't true).

HAH! I just saw a Kraft Cheese commercial starring Dan Marino! He put on a uni and cannon fired the cheese into the fridge!

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Marino didn't have an awkward release that should be compared with Rivers. The comparison doesnt hold up because Rivers' release is much more awkward, AND because coming out Marino was the one who had the absolute CANNON arm but was dubbed an attitude problem and dumb as a rock, Leaf style. They are like, opposites. The knocks on Rivers are noodle arm and bad release. Marino it was slightly off release (which was or was not true), and attitude/intelligence issues (which DEFINITELY wasn't true).

HAH! I just saw a Kraft Cheese commercial starring Dan Marino! He put on a uni and cannon fired the cheese into the fridge!

You need to look at old Marino games. They have nearly the same throwing motion. Both side armed. Marino had a cannon, more than Rivers, that's for sure, but their motion is the same. it gives them both a lightening quick release because it's so short compared to other QB's/

I think we should save our money, let Ogun go, trade the first round picks plus next year's first for the Eli Manning pick, and spend whatever money we've got this offseason on OL and DE...maybe dump Madison and get a DB.

I'm absolutely FINE with going once again with Derrius and Chambers at WR. I thought Derrius didnt get a fair shake at all and if he gets dumped by us now, I think he'll make us sorry on another team.

Having been in the league as long as Sage has and having had I believe 2 full seasons experience in Norv's system and with the players on this offense, if Sage is not ready now to go out and play, I'm not sure he ever will be. Because he's absolutely familiar with Norv's system, I do trust him to start from day 1.

But I do not entrust the franchise to him. We need our next big guy. If we lock up Sage Rosenfels, then Sage goes onto play really well, lets face it...it can only be a good situation cuz it means WE can trade him away to another team...rather than us constantly giving up future picks for other peoples' players.

And if he carries us to the SB, do you still want to trade him..He's only in his 4th season, this will be his 5th coming up. He can carry us for a while, he's not damage and gives us a good 5-8 years to find a starter of the future if he plays like I think he can. But because we never give him the chance we don't know, we didn't know about Jay either but he's done pretty good, now it's time to let a stronger arm lead us.

Dude, I just saw Dan throw on the commercial as I was typing to you. Their releases are not the same. I think Rivers' is more severe.

The coaches have kept him buried on the depth chart as the #3 QB for two years...AFTER they invested a draft pick in him. They are in better position than us to know.

You gonna bank that much on a guy you haven't seen play? You do realize most late pick QB's are NOT Tom Brady. If we get a 1st for Ogun this year we're being afforded an opportunity that is NOT often afforded...the ability to trade up and grab a guy of Eli's ability. You really want to pass up that kind of opportunity on the OFF CHANCE that a 5th round guy will turn into the next Tom Brady?

And besides my main point was Marino's was a cannon. Rivers is a noodle.

though he doesn't have a cannon, he does NOT have a noodle arm. Did you watch the tangerine bowl? 2 passes 50+ yards competed IN the air (not after running). And they were spot on BTW, hit the receiver perfectly in stride. THey were not floaters, they were fifty yards of pretty spiraling.

And I would look beyond a kraft cheese commercial in order to study Marino's throwing motion in-depth ;) He has a side armed release, Favre has one at times as well.

Rivers arm is not Dan's by any means, but to say he has a noodle arm, is groosley mis-leading. He has a more than adequate arm. He can hit the deep man, and more importantly, he can hit him in stride. I'd take a guy that can throw a 50 yard pass and hit his receiver in stride over a guy that can throw a 70 yard pass but can't hit his receiver in stride any day of the week. Doing so allows the receiver to continue his running though the ball to pick upt hte extra yards. Something we have been SORELY missing the past 3 years.

Back
Top Bottom