Dan will get Miami a Good QB. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dan will get Miami a Good QB.

I'd take a guy that can throw a 50 yard pass and hit his receiver in stride over a guy that can throw a 70 yard pass but can't hit his receiver in stride any day of the week.

Same here...but on that note...I'd prefer a guy that can CONSISTENTLY throw 15 to 30 yards with brains and know when to just throw it away. Seems to me not a lot of QBs really learn than before the pros.

Thoughts? Is this something that has to be taught to all rookies?

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The coaches have kept him buried on the depth chart as the #3 QB for two years...AFTER they invested a draft pick in him. They are in better position than us to know.

You gonna bank that much on a guy you haven't seen play? You do realize most late pick QB's are NOT Tom Brady. If we get a 1st for Ogun this year we're being afforded an opportunity that is NOT often afforded...the ability to trade up and grab a guy of Eli's ability. You really want to pass up that kind of opportunity on the OFF CHANCE that a 5th round guy will turn into the next Tom Brady?

If we're in postition to get Eli, fine, but if not, then I think we should find out what Sage is about, Wanny is too faithful to Jay, he hand picked him, do you think Sage will really get a fair chance to show what he can do. Now Eli was good in School, so was Sage..go back and read his college resume. I'm willing to not rob the team of it's future in money in order to take a chance on him...I saw him in DC before he got to Miami. He deserves more of a chance than he's getting. I've back Jay, but there's some throws that Sage does better and give us a better shot at. Sage is ready now..Eli in 2 years, Rivers maybe 3. I don't mind haven't Eli or Rivers, but I think Sage can solve a lot of our problems..and I don't trust our coaches to put the best on the field or keep the best, ie. Whitney...Yates is better...Wanny's loyalty is great, but I think it clouds his judgement.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan
I'd take a guy that can throw a 50 yard pass and hit his receiver in stride over a guy that can throw a 70 yard pass but can't hit his receiver in stride any day of the week.

Same here...but on that note...I'd prefer a guy that can CONSISTENTLY throw 15 to 30 yards with brains and know when to just throw it away. Seems to me not a lot of QBs really learn than before the pros.

Thoughts? Is this something that has to be taught to all rookies?

I think that's the difference between a great QB and a good QB. There are a lot of QB's that try to rush the deep game, but you have to develope the short game first. The 2 funnest QB's to watch (for throwing purposes, not running purposes, or I'd count Vick) are Payton, and Favre. Those guys have an unbelievable ability to read the defense, and they take what they are given. yes, they can deffinetly make the deep pass, but they don't push it. They generally keep it in the 8-20 yard range and keep it consistent. Heck, a 3.3 yard average per catch is enough to win a football game (in theory). I just LOVE watching Payton read the defense,a nd end up going short out to Edge or Pollard.

Take what they give you, that opens up the long game. I also think Rivers is exceptional at this. He does his dink passes, but he is a master at "taking what they give him". I've seen him thread the needle before, one game that comes to mind is that multiple over time game this past season that they lost..I can't remember who they played though. But Rivers just picked them apart. He didn't get a 70% completion rating by pressing passes :). If I were to pick one guy that I think can read the defense the best out of this draft, I'd Deffinetly take Rivers. However, looking at Payton, and the likeness between him and Eli, and Eli's suprerior passing ability I'll take Eli over rivers in a heart beat.

How do we know that PEYTON Manning isn't out of the question after that pitiful performance he displayed today?? I think the chance of landing Peyton Manning now after the game today is better than it was 3 weeks ago.

Originally posted by chambers84
How do we know that PEYTON Manning isn't out of the question after that pitiful performance he displayed today?? I think the chance of landing Peyton Manning now after the game today is better than it was 3 weeks ago.

I disagree, He's gotta be thinking that the Colts are close, they just need to work on the defense to improve it and they'll have a serious shot at the super bowl. He's comfortable with his players on offense, he calls his own plays at the LOS and even though he's a Marino fan he probably don't want to go out like Dan did and feels his best shot is with Indy since they got so close this year.
After reading Morts opinion I believe our chances of landing Peyton are less than they were 3 weeks ago.

Originally posted by Hellion

I disagree, He's gotta be thinking that the Colts are close, they just need to work on the defense to improve it and they'll have a serious shot at the super bowl. He's comfortable with his players on offense, he calls his own plays at the LOS and even though he's a Marino fan he probably don't want to go out like Dan did and feels his best shot is with Indy since they got so close this year.
After reading Morts opinion I believe our chances of landing Peyton are less than they were 3 weeks ago.

The thing is though, the Colts are in a bad situation now trying to keep the players they want to, much less trying to improve some positions. They only have 40 players under contract now for '04 with a mil. to spend and Manning wanting $15 mil. + to stay. They are going to have a very hard time keeping that team intact and making everyone happy. Manning is going to have to swallow some pride and take much less money to stay if he wants that team to remain at least close, and even then the Colts still will have a lot of trouble filling out their roster.

Talking about us getting Peyton is a waste of keystrokes. He'll be a lifetime Colt. As for Eli, we haven't had a chance to touch talent like him in ages so if it is even on the radar I say go after it with everything we have. This kid could step in and play fast. He's very savvy, has great size and his arm is made for the N.F.L. He is one guy that is so special that he is worth jumping through hoops and even giving up next years one. He changes the whole team and gives you an instant passing game complete with play-action using Ricky. After that go O-Line. The recieving corp will all look much better with a real Q.B. throwing them the Football. Land Eli and give Marino some of the credit and all the fans will line up to watch their new hero. This town will LOVE Eli Manning. If Eli can't happen I still think we need to go Q.B. with our #1 unless a LT that is super-compelling falls to us. I do like Phillip Rivers but Eli will be a star faster IMO.

Originally posted by Graythreat

we gotta take a chance man. We haven't taken a high one since marino. I say jump for Eli, he gives me the least reason to fear a bust.

Hear hear. Trade both 1st rounders, the third from Wally, Jay, Wanny the kitchen sink, anything except the defensive key players and get ELI!!!!

Originally posted by KeyHawk
Will Miami fans have the patience to lose games while developing a rookie QB?

WQAM and 940 are already loaded with callers who find it unacceptable that the Fins missed the playoffs for 2 years running.

We are losing games anyway and the rook wouldn't start next yr anyway. The whole idea is that since we're in a reasonable good situation with a possible 1st rndr in a O-gun deal that one should be used for a QB for the future [we've proven that FA would do it, here anyway] and the other on OL. IMO, anyway, others say WR. IMO, QB and OL are the top priorities with WR a close 3rd. IF OL is adequately addressed in FA then by all means grab a WR. WR could be addressed in FA as well tho.

Originally posted by chambers84

Very true but we already have some QBs that can throw 4 picks/game!! :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Hellion

But it was their O that let them down yesterday. Their D did a good enough job to win by keeping them out of the endzone for the most part.

Originally posted by DeDolfan

Very true but we already have some QBs that can throw 4 picks/game!! :lol: :lol:

I don't know if it was the cold or he was just off or whatever, but those 4 picks were terrible throws imo. Very bad day for Peyton.

CK
"The coaches have kept him buried on the depth chart as the #3 QB for two years...AFTER they invested a draft pick in him. They are in better position than us to know.

You gonna bank that much on a guy you haven't seen play? You do realize most late pick QB's are NOT Tom Brady. If we get a 1st for Ogun this year we're being afforded an opportunity that is NOT often afforded...the ability to trade up and grab a guy of Eli's ability. You really want to pass up that kind of opportunity on the OFF CHANCE that a 5th round guy will turn into the next Tom Brady."

Last edited by a moderator:
CK said it!!!

Teams do not have a chance like the Phins might have come draft day. A CHANCE to move up to grab on of the best players in the draft.

I still think the Raiders are the best possible chance for the trade to happen. They need a stud DE. They NEED PICKS. We have OGUN and Picks. So they should trade up to the #2. EVEN if the Chargers take Eli. Then we get Larry!

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
I'd say Sage is closer to starting for us than Eli and Rivers..If they're drafted in the first round, that kind of money can't sit on the bench and we'll be in earlier than later, but are we ready for that kind of growing pain? If we can't get Eli, then I say draft a WR, and let Brunell, Jay and Sage fight it out...I actually hope Sage wins..then we have 2 experience QB's to fall back on...Sage showed me some things while DC and he wasn't bad in preseason...I wish Wanny what get some balls on this one..

I watched the NE game (the home one) at the ESPN zone in NYC. I met a gentleman who covers the sports beat in miami and focuses on the Dolphins. He said that Sage has the strongest arm but is 3rd on the depth chart for good reason. He doesn't have good acuracy or make good reads. He also doesn't seem to be improving. Sage was brought in (I think 2-3yrs ago) to be groomed for the starting position. He isn't even capable of getting the #2 job. Lets stop the Sage talks and look to the Draft for our future QB. Sage has done NOTHING to show he can be a top QB in this league.

Back
Top Bottom