Darlington speaks on Tua with Rich Eisen | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darlington speaks on Tua with Rich Eisen

What people seem to ignore is that Fitz did a lot more with the same receivers and running backs.

It's too early to tell what kind of player Tua will become but the excuses for his sub par performance this past season are a bit mind boggling when even Tua himself basically said he sucked and needs to do a lot better.

It's not about eliminating excuses for Tua, it's about the kid actually doing more than the guy behind hin with the team he is a part of. Elite QBs elevate the game play of their teams...
Fair points but don't you think we should wait a bit longer than just 9 starts before we decide he sucks?
The main thing here imo is that he was coming back from a horrible injury/major surgery while other rookies could concentrate on their game while Tua had to try to get healthy enough to play. Fitz could just go out there and let it fly all day. Why would he care? Nobody was expecting him to take the take to the playoffs since he's never done that in his career.

Lets give Tua at least his second year and see what happens.

Fair points but don't you think we should wait a bit longer than just 9 starts before we decide he sucks?
The main thing here imo is that he was coming back from a horrible injury/major surgery while other rookies could concentrate on their game while Tua had to try to get healthy enough to play. Fitz could just go out there and let it fly all day. Why would he care? Nobody was expecting him to take the take to the playoffs since he's never done that in his career.

I do think we should wait longer to see what kind of player Tua will become, that's why I said so in my previous post. Make no mistake, Tua has a tough road in front of him to just make it in the NFL let alone become elite. I read an article about 12 College Quarterbacks that had major injuries in their last season and none of them made it past 2 years in the NFL. Tua looked special in College though, we'll see if he can become the exception rather than the rule...

I just don't think the excuses being offered up for Tua's sub standard play have any validity.

There seems to be a lot of posters on this forum who think it was all Tua’s fault. The fact the offensive line regressed over the latter part of the season, the Dolphins had one of the worst rushing attacks in the league and they were playing with practice squad WR’s seems to escape those who blame it all on Tua.
Nobody’s blaming Tua for everything, he just wasn’t close to what was advertised. You guys need to narrow your optics to the player not everything else.

You hope. Hope. There are facts - Tua is our QB. Deshaun Watson is statistically a top 5 quarterback out of 33 starters. That’s also a fact.

HOPE is what you have for Tua. HOPE is what Texans fans have as the basis for Watson not leaving. HOPE is what we as Dolphins fan have for either move working out.

Every GM whiffs. Every GM hits. It’s looking like ours GM a gamble on a guy every other GM would have. I trust Grier with these choices so I trust him to get Watson if he’s available and we aren’t totally outbid.

Only time will tell but some of you folks have incredible mental gymnastics to justify your opinion as FACT.

Fact it is going to cost an arm and a leg and a credit line to acquire Watson because fact there will be a bidding war between the Jets

Fact Don’t Bid No Bidfing War

Fact keep the assets you acquired dismantling your tram in the first place - completely unnecessary because you fact had Tannehill

Fact should you acquire the Fact top talent of DW you will have a salary cap crunch sooner fact and lose all your early picks to surround him with weapons fact

fact you will be suiting guys like Hollins on a regular game by game basis

Fact you can’t have it both ways

I do think we should wait longer to see what kind of player Tua will become, that's why I said so in my previous post. Make no mistake, Tua has a tough road in front of him to just make it in the NFL let alone become elite. I read an article about 12 College Quarterbacks that had major injuries in their last season and none of them made it past 2 years in the NFL. Tua looked special in College though, we'll see if he can become the exception rather than the rule...

I just don't think the excuses being offered up for Tua's sub standard play have any validity.

Which excuses are you referring to? You posts sound a LOT like "I'M TIRED OF THE EXCUSES!" crowd, who generally dismiss him as a bust and holler about how they've seen all they need to see, and anyone who disagrees with them is wearing aqua-colored glasses.

- Tua was a rookie.
- Tua has only played in nine games.
- Tua was barely a year removed from hip surgery.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick had played under Gailey before. He actually had his best statistical season, production-wise, under Gailey.
- Justin Herbert, whom Tua was often measured up against, had the best rookie QB season in the history of the NFL. Ever.
- Tua's wide receivers had some of the worst separation in the NFL.

These are not excuses. These are facts. Could Tua have played better? Of course. But people who bring up the above points aren't just randomly making **** up. They happened.

Don't put words in my mouth, and anyone who think we should get Watson. I for one) never said he sucks. Tua is unknown as far as his ceiling goes. We rather have a sure thing in Watson.

Is that so hard to understand?

Last edited:
Don't put words in my mouth, and anyone who think we should get Watson. I for me never said he sucks. Tua is unknown as far as his ceiling goes. We rather have a sure thing in Watson.

Is that so hard to understand?

I'm fairly certain he wasn't addressing you.

Nobody’s blaming Tua for everything, he just wasn’t close to what was advertised. You guys need to narrow your optics to the player not everything else.
Considering he was going to be red shirted he did fairly well. Look at the Weapons all of them sucked not one stood out most of them injured but Fitz was being Fitz it opened the door for the rook

What people seem to ignore is that Fitz did a lot more with the same receivers and running backs.

It's too early to tell what kind of player Tua will become but the excuses for his sub par performance this past season are a bit mind boggling when even Tua himself basically said he sucked and needs to do a lot better.

It's not about eliminating excuses for Tua, it's about the kid actually doing more than the guy behind hin with the team he is a part of. Elite QBs elevate the game play of their teams...
I don't think he did. Their stats were pretty close. Really the only difference was that Fitz threw up more 50/50 balls that were caught. That's not really better QBing. That's having more coin flips go your way. That's been the story of Fitz's career. That's why he's both FitzMagic and FitzTragic. He's not a consistently accurate QB. He needs big WRs that can go up and get it. Tua doesn't have the experience to know when to just throw it up to covered targets. He needs to improve there, but that only happens with experience. But Tua is also more consistently accurate right now. So if you get him guys that can get open, he can make more of those than a guy like Fitz could. I love Fitz and what he brought to the team, but he doesn't have the ceiling Tua has.

Considering he was going to be red shirted he did fairly well. Look at the Weapons all of them sucked not one stood out most of them injured but Fitz was being Fitz it opened the door for the rook
When all of his weapons were fairly healthy he was still mediocre,

Which excuses are you referring to? You posts sound a LOT like "I'M TIRED OF THE EXCUSES!" crowd, who generally dismiss him as a bust and holler about how they've seen all they need to see, and anyone who disagrees with them is wearing aqua-colored glasses.

- Tua was a rookie.
- Tua has only played in nine games.
- Tua was barely a year removed from hip surgery.
- Ryan Fitzpatrick had played under Gailey before. He actually had his best statistical season, production-wise, under Gailey.
- Justin Herbert, whom Tua was often measured up against, had the best rookie QB season in the history of the NFL. Ever.
- Tua's wide receivers had some of the worst separation in the NFL.

These are not excuses. These are facts. Could Tua have played better? Of course. But people who bring up the above points aren't just randomly making **** up. They happened.
If Tua had a lights out season in 9 games, we made the playoffs and he got selected to the Pro Bowl or Rookie of the Year then none of this would be discussed right now. The fact you're using these 'reasons' to justify his sub standard play highlights the fact they are nothing more than excuses for his poor performance. Even Tua himself isn't using these excuses, he's gone on record to say he needs to play a lot better without throwing any of his team mates under the bus. Good on him for doing that!

I'll also add that I've never said Tua was a bust, that I've seen all I need to see or anything else you insinuated, you pretty much just made your own assumptions there not based on anything I've actually said. You even quoted me saying "I do think we should wait longer to see what kind of player Tua will become".

Your blind support is ....well....not very objective.

If Jakeem Grant catches those two deep balls and Mikey G catches that big gainer, are we still talking about this if Tua is 189/293, 6.8 YPA, for 1959y and 13/5 TD:INT?

If Jakeem Grant catches those two deep balls and Mikey G catches that big gainer, are we still talking about this if Tua is 189/293, 6.8 YPA, for 1959y and 13/5 TD:INT?
Or if Tua didn't take 6 sacks in Denver, throw for 83 yards and get benched.
Or if Tua didn't take 3 sacks in Las Vegas, throw for 94 yards and get benched

we probably wouldn't be talking about this....

I feel the need to point out, he had his ups and downs definitely, but he did not suck. Given the deck of cards he was dealt I feel he did pretty well considering, and yes I'm hoping for nothing but improvement. Like in all matters time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom