dave hyde seems to understand what so many people on here do not | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

dave hyde seems to understand what so many people on here do not

I think saying that the Dolphins should "consider it" or "look at it" or "evaluate" is kind of...well, I don't want to go so far as to say "dumb" but it's still a moot point.

As if the Dolphins would only just now take a hard look at Chad Henne's first year and start coming up with some evaluations of what he is and what his future looks like. Come on. They've been doing that pretty much every day, every week, every month since he has been drafted.

And you know what? Jeff Ireland himself said that he is sure that Chad Henne is a successful draft pick. In an interview, that is what he said. He singled out Jake Long and Chad Henne, if I'm not mistaken (I believe it was just those two, not anyone else). He was asked something about evaluating his draft success and he said that you need a good three years to evaluate a draft, so they'll talk after three years, however what he can say this early is that he is sure that Jake Long and Chad Henne are successful draft picks. Jake Long, of course, was the #1 overall pick and was having himself a Pro Bowl season. So, I account it no sin that he tallied up some early returns on Jake Long. But, Chad Henne? Not Kendall Langford, not Phil Merling...not Donald Thomas...Chad Henne. A late second round pick, that had thrown all of 12 passes during the season. And Ireland, Parcells, etc...are already sure that he is a successful draft pick, that as Ireland says, in a few years he doesn't know exactly when because of how well Pennington is playing, we will look on Chad Henne and he will be a successful starting quarterback. Very strong words.

And I know some genius is going to try and pipe up and say something smart like "What else was he supposed to say?". Save your breath. He could have said nothing at all. He could have said, we need three years to evaluate, and left it at that. He could have JUST singled out Jake Long. He could have singled out Jake Long and Kendall Langford. He could have said or not said a million things other than what he did say, rather than stick his neck out and hang his hat on a late second round pick that has thrown all of 12 professional passes.

So when Hyde says they need to evaluate his practice habits, the throws he's made, his character, personality, everything they have access to that we don't...guess what, they already have. And Chad Henne is the reason they won't trade for Jay Cutler.

You are dead on with the majority of your posts but as everyone you are not perfect and stall ath this one mate.

First of all our Fo FAILED MISERABLY in seeing what an amazing Qb Ryan was, and that has a lot to do with Parcells in his somewaht and sometimes stupid and antiqued behaviour in some of his drafts, specially in his very conservative tactics.

Not always building through the draft works, specially when the draft is lackluster in many ways, like this year, this is a one in a dozen oportunity that doesnt come along always.

And to some of you guys... why do you value the 25th pick so much??

There is nothing, absolutely nothing worth of the first round from pick 20 and up . Thats why so many teams are trying to trade out from the first round this year.

From Jay Cutler himself.

Because McDaniels didn't come out and say emphatically that we want you as our QB, Jay comes to the conclusion that he was antagonizing him? Cutler's reaction to this whole situation has a ring of Terrell Owens in Philadelphia to it.

good lord.

The Denver coach LIED TO HIM IN THE FACE.

He admitted he wanted cassell and that he wasnt sorry for that, and that was after he told everyone he didnt try to trade cutler when in fact he did.

If he wants another Qb instead of Cutler that is a pretty clear indication that he didnt want him as his Qb, and JAy is right about him antoginizing him.

Oh, and a curious stat i found in another forum:

"So all I'm going to add is this, in 1988 and 1989, Marino averaged 22.5 INTs a year vs. 26 TDs a year. Not stunning ratio to say the least. But Marino went on to lead the Dolphins to the playoffs 7 more times over the rest of his career. And I think that the Dolphins would have been far more successful over the remainder of his career had they been able to develop a better running game and if they had fielded a better defense. "

You're kidding me right? So just because Ireland said Henne is going to be a good QB in the future you are convinced that is true? You know how many coaches and GM's over the years have said that samething and it ended up being false? Probably 90% of the time.

The only facts or truths to any of this is Penny is getting old and Cutler is a pro bowl QB. Who the hell knows how Henne turns out. If I had to guess based on his college days he will be a middle of the road QB, with limited accuracy and many INT's. Just my opinion.

If all the Fins had to do is package Penny (getting old, prone to injury), Henne (2nd round pick, hasnt done anything yet) and the 2nd round pick, I would do it in a heartbeat. At least with Cutler you know your getting a young, stong armed QB that has proven he can play. The only thing you're really giving up is 2nd round pick. Cutler is only 25 and my guess is Henne isnt going to be better than him.

This team has many needs and upgrades in its future to be throwing away/around first day picks. Cutler while talented isn't professional in his demeanor. Cutler the same QB jawing with our Miami D last year after being put in check. Cutler the same QB who has won nothing. Cutler reminds me more of Ryan Leaf in his attitude and age(or lack there of). This FO knows this team has MANY holes still left. We are not a few pieces from being a SB contender. The team is still 4-8 pieces away. This year is another grow up year for Long, Henne, and our yound D line.
I just thank gawd, that people on here aren't in the FO. Because while us arm chair QB's have our opinion. People with knowledge of the game and building teams is what is needed to get us back to SB contenders year in and out.
Tom Brady was drafted. Matt Cassell was drafted. And now the Pats are looking at parlaying one of those draft picks for a dominant Defensive player. NE only trades for players using 2nd day picks and drafts their core players. Something I wish many on here would seem to think would be a WINNING formula. NE wasn't built in one year, it was built over many and through many drafts. To get the same foundation....you need your FIRST DAY PICKS.

Too much to pay. Cutler is still an unproven to me. Might as well have been Beck playing in that system and who knows what he would be today? I say no, keep our QB's and keep our pick! Though if the Jets get him it would bother me.

You are dead on with the majority of your posts but as everyone you are not perfect and stall ath this one mate.

First of all our Fo FAILED MISERABLY in seeing what an amazing Qb Ryan was, and that has a lot to do with Parcells in his somewaht and sometimes stupid and antiqued behaviour in some of his drafts, specially in his very conservative tactics.

Not always building through the draft works, specially when the draft is lackluster in many ways, like this year, this is a one in a dozen oportunity that doesnt come along always.

And to some of you guys... why do you value the 25th pick so much??

There is nothing, absolutely nothing worth of the first round from pick 20 and up . Thats why so many teams are trying to trade out from the first round this year.

good lord.

The Denver coach LIED TO HIM IN THE FACE.

He admitted he wanted cassell and that he wasnt sorry for that, and that was after he told everyone he didnt try to trade cutler when in fact he did.

If he wants another Qb instead of Cutler that is a pretty clear indication that he didnt want him as his Qb, and JAy is right about him antoginizing him.

There are a few WR's who could be the next B. Marshall. There are quite of few Oline man who will still be around going into RD 2. And LB is deep this year.
As for M. Ryan. While everyone knew his measurables. And some who watched him play the few years before draft day. Knew he could make all the throws. The kid had a arm and was smart. But saying this FO blew it by not taking him is a slap in the face of a young STUD O tackle who will anchor our line for many years to come. This FO believes in the 'inside out' philosophy. So drafting Ryan....with no upgrade to watch that young QB's backside...would have left us with no playoffs and and QB who would not have been as successful as his rookie campaign with the Falcons.
Keep doubting this FO, and go cheer for the Pats. They can make all the moves you wish this FO would. Thing is NE has been doing this building for many years. There for they can make some moves in FA and trading away picks that you seem to think warrant a SB ring or success.

I think David Hyde and the rest of the Jay Cutler lovers should check Cutler's win-loss record as a starter.

I think David Hyde and the rest of the Jay Cutler lovers should check Cutler's win-loss record as a starter.

Takes more than a QB to win a game. Especially one only 2 years in the league as a starter.

There are a few WR's who could be the next B. Marshall. There are quite of few Oline man who will still be around going into RD 2. And LB is deep this year.
As for M. Ryan. While everyone knew his measurables. And some who watched him play the few years before draft day. Knew he could make all the throws. The kid had a arm and was smart. But saying this FO blew it by not taking him is a slap in the face of a young STUD O tackle who will anchor our line for many years to come. This FO believes in the 'inside out' philosophy. So drafting Ryan....with no upgrade to watch that young QB's backside...would have left us with no playoffs and and QB who would not have been as successful as his rookie campaign with the Falcons.
Keep doubting this FO, and go cheer for the Pats. They can make all the moves you wish this FO would. Thing is NE has been doing this building for many years. There for they can make some moves in FA and trading away picks that you seem to think warrant a SB ring or success.

If Ryan played decent with Sam Baker at LT he couldáve played whith a serviceable Lt in the FA.
And if not, you wait one year and aquire a good LT. Period.

And what im saying is that sticking always to the draft to build a team will only take you to where those drafts and picks succeed to, a mix between FA and draft, maybe putting 70% more emphasis to the draft is the way to go, not forgetting completely about FA.

BTW, Pennington, wasnt drafted but it was a great Fa opprtunity in which we had the inmense luck to not give picks away.

does he understand that Cutler makes a ton of bonehead throws and cant seem to be consistent enough to win ball games, not to mention he totally unravelled with the Broncos last year in December. Cutler is very talented but I see him being that QB that makes a ton of good plays but then makes those really stupid plays that cost you your playoff games. He is like Culpepper in that aspect.

From Jay Cutler himself.

Because McDaniels didn't come out and say emphatically that we want you as our QB, Jay comes to the conclusion that he was antagonizing him? Cutler's reaction to this whole situation has a ring of Terrell Owens in Philadelphia to it.

As I was reading this thread the same thought crossed my mind.

Cutler as the future TO poison.:crazy:

David Hyde is a hack & writing not out of love & concern for the Dolphins, but to create controversy & make money.

Only the Front office can make a call like this one.
This discussion has really run its course and is starting to resemble the useless beck/henne threads that it replaced:

overwhelming the forum like a bad case of poison ivy, annoying & useless banter. think about it:D

So why draft QB's at all. Let's just keep trading for somebody else's cause their proven.
NOT. We got our guy.

I'll take Pennington, Henne and the #25 over Cutler and his baggage any day

Back
Top Bottom