Day TWO Joint Practice Phins/Dirty South Pigeons Tweets HERE! | Page 38 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Day TWO Joint Practice Phins/Dirty South Pigeons Tweets HERE!

This defense is getting me all hot and bothered under the collar.

Consider this: We were a statistical top 10 defense (I forget the exact number, so don't be the "well akshually" guy) last season, but IMO, still had two glaring deficiencies.
-Consistent run defense
-Playmaking at the safety position.

Not only do we return everyone who contributed to the top 10 ranking last year, we shored up those two deficiencies in a big way. As far as the run defense goes, the development of Raekwon Davis and Wilkins, the addition of a thumper like McKinney and added depth on the line with Adam Butler and Jon Jenkins are all huge. So far, we've faced two teams in scrimmage/game settings and neither are *reportedly* getting any traction on the ground vs. our two deep front 7. That is extremely encouraging.

As far as the safety position, this one is short and sweet. Holland looks like he's going to be a pro-bowler. Also seems like Eric Rowe is improving.

I honestly cannot find a glaring weakness on paper when looking at this unit right now. If Jaelen Phillips gets healthy and becomes a factor, then forget it.

Consider this: We were a statistical top 10 defense (I forget the exact number, so don't be the "well akshually" guy) last season, but IMO, still had two glaring deficiencies.
-Consistent run defense

Not only do we return everyone who contributed to the top 10 ranking last year, we shored up those two deficiencies in a big way. As far as the run defense goes, the development of Raekwon Davis and Wilkins, the addition of a thumper like McKinney and added depth on the line with Adam Butler and Jon Jenkins are all huge. So far, we've faced two teams in scrimmage/game settings and neither are *reportedly* getting any traction on the ground vs. our two deep front 7. That is extremely encouraging.

As far as the safety position, this one is short and sweet. Holland looks like he's going to be a pro-bowler. Also seems like Eric Rowe is improving.

I honestly cannot find a glaring weakness on paper when looking at this unit right now. If Jaelen Phillips gets healthy and becomes a factor, then forget it.
bernardrick mckinney stomping everything in sight, and Ogbah looking like he's in midseason form make me happy in pants.

-Consistent run defense

The only 'well actually' that I would add to that is that I'm not 100% convinced that Jenkins has made the team yet. I agree with all the rest.

Fair enough. Either way, there is a run stopper at mike now and the line is deeper than last season.
Absolutely agree...

I'm just not sure how many Defensive Linemen that we'll carry. I've got Jenkins and Jones fighting for a spot that might not exist. I figure that Jenkins is ahead there, but if Jones has made a step forward, they might go with the younger player.

Back
Top Bottom