DC Options? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

DC Options?

Idk how viable that approach is in 2022, and I love Holland, and he has excellent range, but he's not a 0.01%'er like Earl Thomas. Thomas and Ed Reed have the most range of any Safeties I've ever seen.

Generally speaking, good offenses eat Cover 3 alive.

I agree about the secondary. I do like how that scheme for the front 7 uses 3-4 personnel in a 4-3 alignment. I believe Wade Phillips used something similar in Denver & w/ the lambs

All things being equal, I am a fan of any scheme w/ an aggressive 4 man front.

p.s. Allow to be a homer & think outside the box in suggesting (U of Utah DC) Morgan Scalley to replace Boyer.

They discussed his close friendship wth McD during the Jets game. his d has been pretty good. As such, I thought it was good to reference him with the caveat being that he probably would be safe job wise.
Well, that is good intel. If he is really good friends with McD, theoretically, he could quit and join McD. Patrick Graham did that to Flores when he quit being DC here to go be DC for the Giants.

It's early but we are definitely dialing in on the fact that Boyer isn't the guy. Hope he flips that script. If he doesn't, who are the best options to replace him with that have ties to McD? The guy from The Mummy movies that runs the Jets is good but I don't think he's going to get fired. He's done as well as he can given the whacky QB carousel up there.

My best guess is Boyer in 2023. Not hoping for it, but expecting it.

I'd say Vic Fangio or possibly Sam Madison gets promoted.
Fangio is a defensive consultant for the Eagles, who are doing well on defense, at the moment.
I really like the idea of promoting from within, when there is an appropriate candidate.
I remember we were looking at Vic Fangio when Gase was here, but the Bears wouldn't let him go.

My sense is Grier was critical in bringing Boyer back. Keep some continuity. After a year of observing, McCoach can determine if he is pleased. I think it may turn on how we finish.

The other question is also appropriate to ask. Is it the players or coaching on the D that have caused it to be less effective?

Personally, I really like the defensive line, although I count Phillips and Chubb as defensive linemen more than linebackers, so that facors in for me.

Wilkins is proving to be better than solid. His game against the Chargers was elite stuff from a DT. Seiler continues to be underrated as a guy who just makes plays. I haven't noticed Davis as much. Appreciate takes on his play.

The secondary is obviously banged up and it's fair to say X. Howard is having an off year. It seems like even when the Dolphins get instant pressure on the quarterback, receivers are open. I think Holland is great and Brandon Jones has been missed. Kohou has been a nice find.

My sense is that the linebackers core is below average. There really isn't a standout here unless you consider Phillips and Chubb linebackers. Baker flashes, but isn't consistent. Roberts is a run stopper only. Riley is pretty decent. Van Ginkel is okay.

Could a better coach make a big difference, or are we overrating defensive talent?

Because he’s doing well enough or McD cant pull the trigger?

Real world is he has reasons. Injuries to the secondary. Weak LBs (no one knows if/who Boyer advocated signing). It's quite common for a HC to give guidance to the DC. 'Call some blitzes.' 'Go to prevent.' And no one other than Mcd/Boyer know whether that guidance worked or hurt. It's hard for a top D to be on the field ~80 plays/gam and play well. The O (Mcd) has some fault in that.
In short, there are just too many variables for me to think Boyer, by himself, is responsible for the D. Assigning % blame is a valid task (e.g., is Boyer 70% blame? 30%?) Given that, I expect Boyer to be back.

Back
Top Bottom