De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami

I'm in agreement with you. But it's about build. For example T.Hill is built like a Tank! Same goes for S.Smith

He's similiar in frame to T.Ginn, M.Harrison, D.Jackson.

His potential is so high and how much he can help our offense makes him my first choice. Have to find trading partner to move no lower than 5-6th max and take him there.

There's no way you draft this kid #3 overall! None!

Of course we could debate over build, but 185 pounds is 185 pounds regardless. Tyreek might be more compact, but 185 getting hit by 220, or worse 300, still can do damage.

But these player’s are able to handle it. Jakeem Grant might not be the greatest player, but at his size the things he does in terms of running w/o fear and into the teeth of the defense during a return is pretty incredible. And for the most part, he’s not been terribly injured because of those hits. He did have a knee issue, but player’s of all shapes and sizes get those.

As I said, it’s far easier to succeed in today’s game than ever before. Think of what Mark Clayton had to endure in the 80’s and 90’s at 5-9 and 175. The receivers today don’t see near the same physicality.

Given the strengths and weakness on the unit side of this team. I can absolutely understand taking Sewell #3 or trade down and taking Smith/Chase. I cannot understand Parsons.

Another way of viewing Parsons, IMO, is to ask if he were already on this unit which of the following losses would he have helped us win?

1) Bills
2) Patriots
3) Seattle
4) Denver
5) KC

Now ask yourself the same question for say Sewell and especiall Smith/Chase?
Where would 1-2 extra wins have us now?

Of course we could debate over build, but 185 pounds is 185 pounds regardless. Tyreek might be more compact, but 185 getting hit by 220, or worse 300, still can do damage.

But these player’s are able to handle it. Jakeem Grant might not be the greatest player, but at his size the things he does in terms of running w/o fear and into the teeth of the defense during a return is pretty incredible. And for the most part, he’s not been terribly injured because of those hits. He did have a knee issue, but player’s of all shapes and sizes get those.

As I said, it’s far easier to succeed in today’s game than ever before. Think of what Mark Clayton had to endure in the 80’s and 90’s at 5-9 and 175. The receivers today don’t see near the same physicality.

In pro sports all build and pounds isn't the same. A taller lanky frame at 185 isn't the same as shorter stouter frame at 185 playing running back.
They just aren't and we're going to have to disagree.

both Clayton and Duper were strong for the their respective size, hell Duper was built more like Barry Sanders than a WR.

They were both 5-9, but 175 and 185 respectively. If those listed heights/weights are even to be believed.

Duper was a track guy. Not necessarily the most physical WR like Steve Smith.

Regardless, 185 is 185. And during an era where physical play before and after the catch was not only permitted, but encouraged.

In today’s game a small or slim physique just doesn‘t matter like it used to.

When I look at Devonta Smith I see Marvin Harrison. Who was listed at 6’0 179.

Harrison’s slight build sure didn’t seem to hold him back.

And last I checked, Desean Jackson is still scoring TD’s and Ted Ginn is still playing in the league.

So WTF are we still talking about?? ;)

Winning this award has no ramifications on whether Miami drafts him, or even how high he is drafted. It's a nice gesture, but it doesn't impact when he'll be taken.

Agreed! It's not like he was some unknown and just surprised everyone.

He's similiar in frame to T.Ginn, M.Harrison, D.Jackson.

As I said above, Harrison had a HOF career and Jackson is still around making explosive plays and Ted Ginn is still in the league after 14 seasons.

Jackson and Ginn have combined for somewhere around 110TD’s between them. And we know what Harrison accomplished.

There’s nothing to be concerned about regarding Devonta Smith.

Is he an NFL player? Does he see the field??

The list wasn’t supposed to be a who’s who of pro bowlers. It was merely a list of NFL players off the top of my head that have had successful careers despite being small.

None of those examples are questionable. They are are legit. Smallish players. Some more successful than others, but all successful in making it in the league for numerous years. Most were pretty good.

And the list doesn’t stop there. A myriad more could be added.

Point was, size doesn’t matter.

I actually believe a great comp for Devonta Smith is Marvin Harrison — which is why he was the first name off the top of my head.

He had a pretty good career, don’t ya think?
Yes but guys like Marvin Harrison are the exception. Could this kid be an exception? Sure but however you put it he’s light. I still think grant is a very poor example when your using his size to compare with a guy who we’d be taking to 5. Grant is not a good nfl player. Not even average but whatever

I'm in the trade down camp. I wouldn't take a wr at #3 unless it was the second coming of jerry rice.
To be fair tho Jerry Rice was thought of as a bowl of rice coming out of college.. nice addition to some tortillas and beans but he was not a main dish yet!

The Dolphins are NOT gonna waste their damn top draft pick on a dime a dozen wide receiver that is over damn hyped because college defensive backs are slow and dumb!

man if we are at 3 and the jets took a qb, us passing on Penei Sewell would be tough. the dude rag dolls guys.You bump him or Jackson inside and we are set for the foreseeable future on the line.
its so hard bc tua needs weapons and smith, chase and waddle all to be had?!?!? i wonder how far one will fall?
I love parsons but think we can get a pretty good lb later.
and tua needs weapons. man this is a tough decision.
Im on the trade down approach right now.

Miami’s gonna trade down - don’t waste a top draft pick on a kid whose too skinny to make it in the NFL!

if they’re going to draft a top 5 guy get the o lineman- but honestly trade down and get more guys - especially this year when without a full season to evaluate guys it’s a bigger crap shoot then usual.
He may very well be a stud and I love him but I have to agree with you the skinny frame is concerning.

Miami’s gonna trade down - don’t waste a top draft pick on a kid whose too skinny to make it in the NFL!

if they’re going to draft a top 5 guy get the o lineman- but honestly trade down and get more guys - especially this year when without a full season to evaluate guys it’s a bigger crap shoot then usual.
There has to be a willing trade partner, don't forget.

Back
Top Bottom