De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami

They were both 5-9, but 175 and 185 respectively. If those listed heights/weights are even to be believed.

Duper was a track guy. Not necessarily the most physical WR like Steve Smith.

Regardless, 185 is 185. And during an era where physical play before and after the catch was not only permitted, but encouraged.

In today’s game a small or slim physique just doesn‘t matter like it used to.

When I look at Devonta Smith I see Marvin Harrison. Who was listed at 6’0 179.

Harrison’s slight build sure didn’t seem to hold him back.

And last I checked, Desean Jackson is still scoring TD’s and Ted Ginn is still playing in the league.

So WTF are we still talking about?? ;)
6-1 174lb Devonta Smith
1609345866911.jpeg

5-9 185 Mark Duper (played 30+ years ago)

1609345866477.png1609345892303.png

Those little twiggy legs of that kid out of Alabama are not going to last long in the NFL.

Love the player, probably my favorite in the entire draft class. I wouldn't take a WR top 5 that isn't in the Calvin Johnson or Julio Jones mold though. I'm not overly concerned about his size. He's one of the best route runners I've ever watched and wins at all 3 levels. He's also incredible in the air and high points the football like he's Preston's size.

He's my preference in a trade down. Ideally, we can move down around Philly's range and should be able to get one of Chase/Smith. I think they're the biggest threat in the top 10 to take a WR.

Cliff Branch
Harold Jackson
Gary Clark
Mark Clayton
DeSean Jackson

Everyone on this list weighs in the 170's and everyone outside of DeSean Jackson played in the 70's or 80's back when you passing was harder.If they can have success at their weight I don't see why Smith can't.
I didn’t say smith can’t. It’s just a higher risk on your investment. How many of these feather weight kids get drafted in the first round? Not many

I am not picking no small gin jr wr in top 5 of draft.. your going miss on impact players.

6-1 174lb Devonta Smith
View attachment 61558

View attachment 61557View attachment 61559

Those little twiggy legs of that kid out of Alabama are not going to last long in the NFL.

And 30+ years ago defenses could maul receivers up, down and across the middle of the field.

Times have changed.

Now show a picture of Marvin Harrison, whose career mostly overlapped with this new era and new ruleset. All the while with “twiggy legs”. While you’re at it, show Desean Jackson too.

Lastly, Devonta Smith played 4 years at Alabama in the SEC. Arguably the toughest, most physically imposing league at the collegiate level. Against lots of defensive players that are already in the NFL or will soon be. Not only was his performance over the 4 years stellar, he didn’t miss many games due to injury or otherwise.

Game, set, match.

Got anything else?

Last edited:
I didn’t say smith can’t. It’s just a higher risk on your investment. How many of these feather weight kids get drafted in the first round? Not many

Prove that it’s a higher risk. Show us the incontrovertible data.

Because you’ve been given a large list of players of similar size that have been successful. And also had it pointed out how current rulesets have made it far easier for smaller player’s to be successful than ever before.

And whatever list can be provided of slimly built players that didn’t make it during this current era, how can it be proven that it was their build that held them back and not their talent, skill level, football IQ, attitude, or some other issue?

In short, you’re inventing your own truth here.

Last edited:
6-1 174lb Devonta Smith
View attachment 61558

View attachment 61557View attachment 61559

Duper was a little bitch...Never forget the game against the Seahawks...Duper went across the middle and Kenny Easly almost killed him.
Duper was never the same after that...scared to go across the middle...alligator arms after that in the middle.
Skinny legs???...Then how did the thick legged Duper suffer a broken leg in 85?
Devonta will be ok.

P.s...dont get me wrong ...loved Duper and Clayton back in the day...Clayton was better.

Prove that it’s a higher risk. Show us the incontrovertible data.

Because you’ve been given a large list of players of similar size that have been successful. And also had it pointed out how current rulesets have made it far easier for smaller player’s to be successful than ever before.

And whatever list can be provided of slimly built players that didn’t make it during this current era, how can it be proven that it was their build that held them back and not their talent, skill level, football IQ, attitude, or some other issue?

In short, you’re inventing your own truth here.
Well if the comparision is Marvin Harrison, I'm onboard. The problem is, he's the exception to the rule. The closest NFL body to Smith is Robby Anderson. although they're completely different players. Anderson is a speedster who runs 9 routes all day. Smith is actually a great route runner. All in all, it's super risky at 3 and that's why me personally, we need to nail this pick so I'm going with the safest option in Sewell and then get a game changer like Waddle/Pitts with our 1b pick, Harris with our 2nd round, and then a road grade C to finish off the first 2 rounds

I don't have time to watch and follow college like I used to so this afternoon I watched some Smith and Waddle highlights. Personally after watching, I would prefer Waddle. All I saw Smith running was different kind of deep routes. Not much diversity or complexity in the routes I saw. Waddle on the other hand is not only fast! But seemed to run more screens, crosses, stuff out of the backfield, plus goes. Waddle reminds me of Landry.

Duper was a little bitch...Never forget the game against the Seahawks...Duper went across the middle and Kenny Easly almost killed him.
Duper was never the same after that...scared to go across the middle...alligator arms after that in the middle.
Skinny legs???...Then how did the thick legged Duper suffer a broken leg in 85?
Devonta will be ok.

P.s...dont get me wrong ...loved Duper and Clayton back in the day...Clayton was better.
Kenny Easly did that to quite a few WRs and TEs back in his day. Chris Chambers was never the same after the Bronco game either....

I did not say more muscle would eliminate injury, simply reduce the chances and hopefully allow a longer more productive career especially when fighting for position with DB's or an encounter with a LB.

You cannot tell me the kids build is not a concern....

Back
Top Bottom