De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

De Vonta Smith wins AP Player of the Year - Ramifications for Miami

All you have to do is clarify exactly what you mean by those twiggy little legs are not going to last long in the NFL. How long is not long....
It would seem some metrics would be in order, unfortunately the only ones I see would need to balance expectations with the avg career for a player being 4+/- years last I looked.

And 30+ years ago defenses could maul receivers up, down and across the middle of the field.

Times have changed.

Now show a picture of Marvin Harrison, whose career mostly overlapped with this new era and new ruleset. All the while with “twiggy legs”. While you’re at it, show Desean Jackson too.

Lastly, Devonta Smith played 4 years at Alabama in the SEC. Arguably the toughest, most physically imposing league at the collegiate level. Against lots of defensive players that are already in the NFL or will soon be. Not only was his performance over the 4 years stellar, he didn’t miss many games due to injury or otherwise.

Game, set, match.

Got anything else?
Marvin Harrison was anomaly, for years I found it annoying a little guy could tear the league up but note his playing size was 6-0 185, not 6-1 174, and 11lb difference. Metrics exist for reasons, they are not the end all be all, but they exist for verifiable reasons.

Let us us Ted Ginn (5-11 167) and Lamar Thomas (UM/dolphins/+) who was exactly listed at 6-1 174. Thomas besides having discipline issues, he was muscled around in the NFL and closed with less than 2000 yards in 8 years when his career ended, however at UM he was impressive. Ginn, well even with all the wonderful speed would not dare run a crossing pattern or win battle for a contested pass.

I do not like spending high draft picks on players who lack the preferred size metrics, that is what mid round picks are for (Zach Thomas).

If the Texans pick ends up 3rd and Sewell is on the board I’m not sure how you justify passing on him. Our OL might be better than it has been, but there are definitely areas that can be improved on. Sewell locks down Tua’s blindside day 1.

That being said, I would prefer he was off the board simply because I’d like to see us trade down. Smith is probably going 10-15 barring a lights out combine. His weight will certainly be a concern; I’d be interested in seeing what he can add while keeping all his explosiveness.

If the Texans pick ends up 3rd and Sewell is on the board I’m not sure how you justify passing on him. Our OL might be better than it has been, but there are definitely areas that can be improved on. Sewell locks down Tua’s blindside day 1.

That being said, I would prefer he was off the board simply because I’d like to see us trade down. Smith is probably going 10-15 barring a lights out combine. His weight will certainly be a concern; I’d be interested in seeing what he can add while keeping all his explosiveness.
If he can put on 10lbs without losing those special traits, I might risk it...

Who here would be willing to move our next year's first in a package to get back in Smith range after we take Parsons top 5?

I feel with 8 picks in first 60 of past 2 drafts, we can afford to move next year's to get in range and draft our top ten offensive and defensive weapons.
No. There are many good WRs in this draft. And he <180 lbs. I'll use a pick on him, but not two.

I see a little Mark Clayton swagger in Devonta’s
game.

Well if the comparision is Marvin Harrison, I'm onboard. The problem is, he's the exception to the rule.

Exception to what rule? Who's rule?? Where is it written and what are the examples?

I've cited numerous examples that would all be considered exceptions to this made up rule. Desean Jackson being another prominent one. Antonio Brown being another. And Ted Ginn and TY Hilton being 2 more.

And the list keeps going.

Some continue to want to play the "yeah, but" game -- but the fact remains -- those guys are smallish, light weight receivers. ALL of them. And they aren't the only ones.

Time to stop with this false narrative. It's complete nonsense.

Exception to what rule? Who's rule?? Where is it written and what are the examples?

I've cited numerous examples that would all be considered exceptions to this made up rule. Desean Jackson being another prominent one. Antonio Brown being another. And Ted Ginn and TY Hilton being 2 more.

And the list keeps going.

Some continue to want to play the "yeah, but" game -- but the fact remains -- those guys are smallish, light weight receivers. ALL of them. And they aren't the only ones.

Time to stop with this false narrative. It's complete nonsense.
I mean you kinda just made my point. Out of the hundreds of great receivers, you named a couple of prominent smaller guys. We better not be looking to draft a ted ginn. Brown is stockier. He's shorter and heavier.

I think you're missing the one key thing with these all smaller receivers. They were all blazing fast. 4.40 and below.

Smith runs about a 4.5 so he's fast but not elite. A guy his size better get separation

Ginn ran a 4.28
Hilton ran a 4.34
Jackson ran a 4.35
Harrison ran a 4.38

Duper was a little bitch...Never forget the game against the Seahawks...Duper went across the middle and Kenny Easly almost killed him.
Duper was never the same after that...scared to go across the middle...alligator arms after that in the middle.

Your example above is something the newer generation of fans and media don't seem to understand or factor in to all the inflated production by QB's and receivers.

Not only do QB's have it easier with all the circa 2004 rule changes to increase offensive output, but all the player protection rules have made it so receivers don't expect to be killed -- so they are far more able to run all over the field with impunity. With a lot more confidence.

Factor in the following:
  • Can't hit QB's high or low or after they've released the ball
  • Can't touch receivers beyond 5 yards
  • Can't bump/hit receivers crossing the middle of the field
  • Can't launch into or dislodge receivers when they attempt to make a catch
  • Greatly improved playing surfaces, e.g. very few mud bowl games or games drastically affected by elements
  • Today's gloves that have been proven to reduce difficulty of catch
  • Countless drives extended, more yards gained & more points scored when the above rules are deemed as violated
Because of the above (and there are even more factors to consider) it's just not a apples to apples comparison between QB and receivers of today and those of 20+ years ago.
All these statistical records being broken do not equate to today's skill players being better.

More so than at any time in the past 40-50 years, they just aren't playing the same game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom