Deshaun Watson mega thread | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deshaun Watson mega thread

I'm not gonna start a new thread, but (I'm being totally serious) can someone please explain to me what the big ****ing deal is about Deshaun Watson?

Is it just Tua haters?

He played for a 4 win team that afforded us the #3 overall pick, and we want him as our QB why?
Tua with no offseason, coming off a major injury, and no real receivers to speak of, still had a solid rookie season, why exactly do we want to replace him?

These aren't rhetorical questions, I'd really love to know what the logic is. Watson isn't gonna want to go to a team where he isn't starting, we already know Tua is starter, and that's not even talking about the cap hit.
If you have to ask, what's the big deal about Watson?

I am not gonna waste my time.

There's a lot of what ifs. that's not what I was responding to. just looking at the salary angle you addressed.
I wasn’t attacking you Brad. Not at all.... I just think it’s a bad move to bring him here before we know what we have in Tua.

First of all...You have no idea what the compensation for DW would be. So you don’t know what draft picks we would have. His cap hit is only 10 Mil this year....But we are projected to have only 25 mil in space. Subtract the 10 you’re paying DW and now you have to make some cuts and do some restructuring in order to fill holes. DVP isn’t a scrub.....When he’s not hurt. Unfortunately, he’s hurt almost constantly. MG is up and coming....But I wouldn’t consider him great right now.

Like I said..... We aren’t DW away from a Super Bowl.
Bro we would have picks left. Even if they were 3rds 4ths 5ths 6ths 7ths or whatever we’re not going to trade every single pick we have for him hence the we’d have to do a great job scouting and finding gems in late rounds.

No I don’t know exactly but common sense tells anybody we’re still going to have some picks. They just won’t be in the 1st round. And who’s to say we don’t keep one or both of our 2nds? You don’t know either. Our #3 pick on the trade value chart counts as the equivalent of 2 mid first round picks by itself. Throw in Tua and that’s 3 #1s by itself. No I don’t exactly know but you don’t know either so quit trying to act like we’re going to trade away every pick we have bc we’re not.

Hurt all the time? He only tore his knee back in Nov 2017. He missed the rest of the year and that’s been it as far as missing games. Everybody is banged up but he’s still played in every other game of his career.

Theirs always ways to create more cap room. I’m sure he’d be willing to restructure for 1 year to give us breathing room to help him and then in 2022 when the cap goes up we can restructure again and give him a big signing bonus or front load the contract. We have a smart FO. I have faith if they do this deal then they’ll have a solution for this.

I'm not gonna start a new thread, but (I'm being totally serious) can someone please explain to me what the big ****ing deal is about Deshaun Watson?

Is it just Tua haters?

He played for a 4 win team that afforded us the #3 overall pick, and we want him as our QB why?
Tua with no offseason, coming off a major injury, and no real receivers to speak of, still had a solid rookie season, why exactly do we want to replace him?

These aren't rhetorical questions, I'd really love to know what the logic is. Watson isn't gonna want to go to a team where he isn't starting, we already know Tua is starter, and that's not even talking about the cap hit.
If you have to ask, what's the big deal about Watson

I wasn’t attacking you Brad. Not at all.... I just think it’s a bad move to bring him here before we know what we have in Tua.
I didn't think you were, but sincerely thank you for addressing the possibility that I thought you were. I respect your take and I'd have no problem going that route as well. I just don't like to get into what if's b/c there's just so many of them and everyone has a tendency to cherry pick the one's that fit their preferred outcome. Regardless of what we do, its exciting time to be a fan.

If you have to ask, what's the big deal about Watson?

Glad we're on the same page with Tua as our starting QB.

How can anyone make the argument that Watson was the Texans' whole offense and not blame him for anything, while simultaneously not thinking the same of Tua, that he did a fine job (for a rookie) and had a weak supporting cast?

If Tua had a terrible season, I'd get it. I don't want to waste years on another Henne/Tannehill situation. But we're year 2 into a rebuild and missed the playoffs by one game. I'm gonna trust the process. I look forward to getting a veteran backup in FA and drafting for the OL and getting Tua some weapons.

I didn't think you were, but sincerely thank you for addressing the possibility that I thought you were. I respect your take and I'd have no problem going that route as well. I just don't like to get into what if's b/c there's just so many of them and everyone has a tendency to cherry pick the one's that fit their preferred outcome. Regardless of what we do, its exciting time to be a fan.
That we can agree on.....It’s a great problem to have. What should an up an coming team do with future cap space and a ton of draft picks? I looking forward to seeing what’s gonna happen.

Big difference. This post shows how little you actually understand about rookie deals and the the cap. We would have Tua for FIVE years with the option under his rookie deal. Tgen we evaluate if we resign, trade or replace. That’s how you win in this league-drafting well and managing the cap. You don’t win by trading high picks, losing stars and blowing 154M on one player. SEE HOUSTON
Well, the Chiefs traded high picks and just spent 450 million on Pat Mahomes. I think they are in good shape For the foreseeable future. I also think we did well managing the cap, which is how we are in a position to easily afford Watson right now Without losing any stars, which we don’t currently have many of.

Last edited:
Let me be clear on this to everyone thinking I’m a Tua fan-boy. I’m not. He has a lot to work on this off-season. Could he be a bust? Yes. Could he be Steve Young 2.0? Yes. My point is we just don’t know right now.

As for DW.... I cannot and will not argue that he isn’t a top 10 QB in this league. He definitely is. Would he make the Dolphins better? Absolutely. My problem is why he wants out of Houston.That concerned me. Also, I’m concerned what it would cost to get him and what it would do to the re-building process of an up and coming team. Taking all of that into account..... I think we should just stick to the current path we’re on. But that’s just my opinion.

WE WOULD HAVE TO TRADE ALL OF OUR PICKS DUDE, AND X AND TAKE ON THAT MONSTER CONTRACT. Please stop. Please name one time the Pats took on a 150M free agent contract and traded away their draft? Huh? Thankfully our FO isn’t listening to this stupidity
I mean, they had the GOAT QB already, so that was never necessary. The whole point is getting an elite quarterback. After that, things get much easier.

Well, the Chiefs traded a high pick and just spent 450 million on Pat Mahomes. I think they are in good shape For the foreseeable future. I also think we did well managing the cap, which is how we are in a position to easily afford Watson right now Without losing any stars, which we don’t currently have many of.

lol I was gonna say what stars? Your closest thing to one is x and sounds like you got to part with him in any watson trade. Sure glad he carried this outfit in 2020

and we got folks want to trade down quantity over quality lol regardless

Let me be clear on this to everyone thinking I’m a Tua fan-boy. I’m not. He has a lot to work on this off-season. Could he be a bust? Yes. Could he be Steve Young 2.0? Yes. My point is we just don’t know right now.

As for DW.... I cannot and will not argue that he isn’t a top 10 QB in this league. He definitely is. Would he make the Dolphins better? Absolutely. My problem is why he wants out of Houston.That concerned me. Also, I’m concerned what it would cost to get him and what it would do to the re-building process of an up and coming team. Taking all of that into account..... I think we should just stick to the current path we’re on. But that’s just my opinion.
Go listen to the 11 min of ESPN First take this morning that I posted on one of these pages and after you hear how they talk about DW if that don’t change your mind nothing will. I’ve stated on here numerous times how great of a guy he is. Us Clemson fans worship him and he was around here for almost 4 years. We know what a great person and leader he is and it’s sad that some people are making him out to be the bad guy when all the sports media and former players are defending DW. Literally I haven’t heard 1 media source say it’s a DW problem. Please go listen to Max Kellerman Stephen A Smith and Marcus Spears along with Jeff Saturday later in the show talk about what kind of person he is and the character of this man.

Go listen to the 11 min of ESPN First take this morning that I posted on one of these pages and after you hear how they talk about DW if that don’t change your mind nothing will. I’ve stated on here numerous times how great of a guy he is. Us Clemson fans worship him and he was around here for almost 4 years. We know what a great person and leader he is and it’s sad that some people are making him out to be the bad guy when all the sports media and former players are defending DW. Literally I haven’t heard 1 media source say it’s a DW problem. Please go listen to Max Kellerman Stephen A Smith and Marcus Spears along with Jeff Saturday later in the show talk about what kind of person he is and the character of this man.
You may be right.....DW might be the greatest guy on earth. I just don’t like the reason that he’s allegedly unhappy. To me....That’s a problem.

we dodged a bullet by the Jets not getting Trevor Lawrence and you can make whatever joke you want about how bad of a franchise they are etc. but when you get a marque player like that, it changes things fast.
Yep. Trevor Lawrence meant Urban Meyer. I mentioned that early in the season when everyone was dismissive regarding the Jets getting Lawrence because they're such a dysfunctional franchise anyway. It seemed clear for two years that Meyer would pursue the NFL job attached to Trevor Lawrence. Meyer is no fool. He knows darn well he can build an NFL roster. But it would mean nothing without the quarterback. He saw Pete Carroll and Nick Saban enter the league without the quarterback. Carroll struck quickly with Russell Wilson while Saban whiffed. Meyer wanted the Pete Carroll-type NFL career but without the risk factor and uncertainty on entry. That's why he patiently waited for Lawrence to be draft eligible. If those late season outcomes had gone the other way, Meyer would have been destination New York and not Jacksonville.

Anyway, regarding the header of this thread nobody seems to understand the impact of Jack Easterby. As always, big picture. If you hire and maintain someone of that mindset high in the franchise then DeShaun Watson fully understands the roster means nothing and the major decisions are not going to work out. Players throughout the league are rooting for Watson to get out of there. It will be widespread jubilation if it happens. The competitive tilt of the league will be irrelevant compared to a widely admired great guy in his absolute prime escaping a horrible situation.

Back
Top Bottom