Deshaun Watson mega thread | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deshaun Watson mega thread

No way in friggin he'll is Watson getting anything close to this at all. Why do people even bring up the Walker trade. First there was no cap. Second it was so complex involving a lot of conditions on cutting players. Oh and it is also considered mayne the worst trade ever. So why would a team even think about doing that again.
I brought it up... because a previous poster had said something about 'record haul'.

I cited it for the record... not as a suggestion.

What I find comical is when the media makes a list of what teams would need to trade to get Watson. Mia is always bent over compared to what other teams give up (except the Jets they bend them over as well). They just basically start with 3 1st rounders but basically treat them all the same value.
Example from ESPN+
Mia: To start Mia trades TUA to Chi for 20.
Mia trades 3, 20, 36, 113 this year. 22 1st and 23 4th.
Was: trades 19, 74 this year. 22 1st and 4th. 23 1st.

I mean like WTF. Those packages are not even in the same ballpark.
Would you even give up 3 this year for 19,74 and 22 1st? I know for sure I wouldn't.

According to Dolfinatics: Its Official the Dolphins have called the Texans on behalf of D.Watson & so as half the NFL teams, which is to be expected. Time to wrap this up & bring it home. And a big part of Deshaun Watson salary was guaranteed money which the Texans will pay. Tua, 3 first rounders & maybe another player is what the speculation is, but nobody really knows yet.

LOL... yeah, it'd be a stupid high amount for today's rules. Back then, with no salary cap, and less free agency, I think you could afford to make a move like this if you were close... not that it helped Minnesota.

These days, you'd have to be insane to offer that much... for anyone.

I get the value of an elite QB, but trading away 6 picks in the first 2 rounds just has catastrophe written all over it.

I've liked Watson since he came out of Clemson, but no way am I mortgaging that much to acquire him. Almost every premier talent at QB in the NFL today was obtainable (including Watson) for every team in the NFL if you look at where they were drafted, some teams just identify talent better than others.

I love Watson as a QB, but some people act as if he's the rising tide that lifts all boats. He isn't. You might have noticed that the Texans lost a lot of games this year. There was no rising tide on that team.

The truth is that I think QB-wins is a terrible way to judge a QB. I don't think you can fully attribute a team's number of wins (whether that total is low or high) to any QB. For the same reason, though, it's why I think we shouldn't give up multiple high draft picks for him. All QBs need a supporting cast, even the great ones. The QB we have now is plenty good enough. In our case, the draft capital is more important than the upgrade at QB we'd see with a trade.

I love Watson as a QB, but some people act as if he's the rising tide that lifts all boats. He isn't. You might have noticed that the Texans lost a lot of games this year. There was no rising tide on that team.

The truth is that I think QB-wins is a terrible way to judge a QB. I don't think you can fully attribute a team's number of wins (whether that total is low or high) to any QB. For the same reason, though, it's why I think we shouldn't give up multiple high draft picks for him. All QBs need a supporting cast, even the great ones. The QB we have now is plenty good enough. In our case, the draft capital is more important than the upgrade at QB we'd see with a trade.

Sort of like a Mr. Marino that we all know and love!!!!

I get the value of an elite QB, but trading away 6 picks in the first 2 rounds just has catastrophe written all over it.

I've liked Watson since he came out of Clemson, but no way am I mortgaging that much to acquire him. Almost every premier talent at QB in the NFL today was obtainable (including Watson) for every team in the NFL if you look at where they were drafted, some teams just identify talent better than others.
I wouldn't either... not with what we have right now.

If you were say... the Chiefs... and Mahomes was suddenly retired/injured/in prison... then it might make sense, but for where we are, not a chance.

Last edited:
According to Adam Schefter of ESPN.....The hiring of a new coach doesn't sway his request.

I still don't see this as HOU/Watson holding out for their demands. A number of teams won't have much cap, some will prefer rookies, some won't want to be extorted. HOU can WANT anything, but I doubt the haul matches their dreams

I wouldn't either... not with what we have right now.

If you were say... the Chiefs... and Mahomes was suddenly retired/injured/in prison... then it might make sense, but for where we are, not a chance.
This we still need talent in a lot if places.
Also I am getting tired as I wrote early how lazy sports writers are. They say they want 3 first rounders. Ok but all 1st round picks are not equal. In the same article you see stuff like Indy gives up 21 this year, 22 1st, 23 1st. Then Mia is giving up 3rd and 18 this year and a 22 first. Just think about what Mia would want for Indy to move up from 21 to 3? It would take a crap load.

To me if Mia really wants Watson then it all becomes about the Jets and if they want him/he is willing to go to the Jets. If the Jets really are not in it. I am not giving up a package of 3 1st rounders including the 3 pick. No other team can match that unless they start talking 4 1st round picks and that is just crazy.

This we still need talent in a lot if places.
Also I am getting tired as I wrote early how lazy sports writers are. They say they want 3 first rounders. Ok but all 1st round picks are not equal. In the same article you see stuff like Indy gives up 21 this year, 22 1st, 23 1st. Then Mia is giving up 3rd and 18 this year and a 22 first. Just think about what Mia would want for Indy to move up from 21 to 3? It would take a crap load.

To me if Mia really wants Watson then it all becomes about the Jets and if they want him/he is willing to go to the Jets. If the Jets really are not in it. I am not giving up a package of 3 1st rounders including the 3 pick. No other team can match that unless they start talking 4 1st round picks and that is just crazy.
The Dolphins and the Jets both have a leg up on anyone else. Watson has pre-cleared both teams, and both teams have the draft stock to make a play. Obviously, the Jags have it too... but they are guaranteed Trevor and a slower, cheaper path.

After the top two, I think it falls way off. Sure the Niners or the Colts or the Patriots would love to have him, but none of them have the ready draft capital to make an immediate play... plus Watson might not want to play for a Belichick...

I still think we are the most logical destination (after remaining in Houston), just because we have a much better team in place and the loss of the picks wouldn't hurt as badly. The only thing that might queer this is Houston would rather have Darnold than Tua.

To me... even if we never get him, this has been lots of fun and I just can't fathom why this conversation actually pisses off some of our posters. I mean... sports talk board... HELLO!

The Dolphins and the Jets both have a leg up on anyone else. Watson has pre-cleared both teams, and both teams have the draft stock to make a play. Obviously, the Jags have it too... but they are guaranteed Trevor and a slower, cheaper path.

After the top two, I think it falls way off. Sure the Niners or the Colts or the Patriots would love to have him, but none of them have the ready draft capital to make an immediate play... plus Watson might not want to play for a Belichick...

I still think we are the most logical destination (after remaining in Houston), just because we have a much better team in place and the loss of the picks wouldn't hurt as badly. The only thing that might queer this is Houston would rather have Darnold than Tua.

To me... even if we never get him, this has been lots of fun and I just can't fathom why this conversation actually pisses off some of our posters. I mean... sports talk board... HELLO!
I agree w u. It supposed be fun for all fans. What ever dolphins do w qb spot is find w me

Miami needs to make an offer of whatever we’re willing to give up and stick to their guns. Whatever we’re willing to give then offer it but don’t go any further than what we’re willing to give up. If the Jets or whoever wants him then they’ll have to top our offer and even if we don’t get him then at least we’re making the Jets go the extra mile.

Back
Top Bottom