Deshaun Watson mega thread | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Deshaun Watson mega thread

I love Watson as a QB, but some people act as if he's the rising tide that lifts all boats. He isn't. You might have noticed that the Texans lost a lot of games this year. There was no rising tide on that team.

He absolutely is the rising tide.

He was phenomenal during a season in which the Texans defense was among the worst in the league and key offensive players such as David Johnson and Will Fuller missed significant time.

HOU only won 4 games but threatened to win 8 others. All lost by one score. Despite the awful defense, injuries and loss of Hopkins via trade, DW gave that team a fighting chance in most every game. Just as you’d expect an elite franchise QB to do. And did so despite opposing defenses knowing he had to sling it almost every play.

With regard to detractors, I really do not understand what they are looking at. There’s a faction of fans here at FH that somehow believe Ryan Tannehill and Ryan Fitzpatrick are great yet Deshaun Watson is overrated???

Give me a small freaking break!

I said this in another thread and I’ll say it again and will fully stand behind it. Swap Patrick Mahomes for DW and KC doesn’t miss a beat. DW is every bit as good as PM.

As soon as you see him on a team as well rounded and explosive as KC that’ll become more evident. But it should be evident enough already considering how he was able to perform on such a bad team.

The Packers only won 6 games a few years back. Did that mean Aaron Rodgers wasn’t a rising tide QB? SMH.

One player can’t mask all the deficiencies of an entire team. But one as good as Watson sure gives that team a fighting chance, as we saw in at least 8 of the games they lost. And they were still competitive in some of the multi score losses to KC, BAL and GB.

The biggest piece of the puzzle in building a championship team is finding the right QB. Watson is one of those gigantic puzzle pieces. As bad as the Texans are and as little capital they have of building around him right now — there’s no chance they‘d consider trading that gigantic puzzle piece if their hand wasn’t forced.

So why shouldn’t a team like MIA go all in for that gigantic puzzle piece when they already have a much better team than HOU does and when their future assets still won’t be as depleted as HOU’s are now?

The proposed trade would still leave MIA with picks 18 and 50 this upcoming draft. Losing their 2022 1st would be rough, but perhaps they can find a way to avoid that. HOU isn’t in the drivers seat considering DW’s no trade clause and they’ll be hard pressed to do better than 3, 20 (from CHI), 36, a couple 4th‘s and a conditional pick.

The Jets can offer higher picks, but they are much closer to HOU in terms of being devoid of talent and would be hurt more than MIA trading all that capital. Not sure they’ll want to do that. Anybody else HOU might deal with can’t guarantee them a top 3 pick.

Last edited:
Snip:

The Jets can offer higher picks, but they are much closer to HOU in terms of being devoid of talent and would be hurt more than MIA trading all that capital. Not sure they’ll want to do that. Anybody else HOU might deal with can’t guarantee them a top 3 pick.
One thing Miami IS missing, is State Tax. Taxes in New York are in the top 3 highest in the country. Making all those millions is not as rewarding when you have to give 40% or more back to the State/City...

You can be sure Watson is less interested in the picks and more interested in the money. Draft picks to Houston do nothing for Watson. Since Watson really does have the leverage here and with all things considered I think the Jets become much less attractive to Watson...

I don't care what people say.ur not going beat buffalo,k.c,ravens,tenn,pit,and Cleveland with just a avg qb. And think ur defense is going hold up all time. That how we got blowout by Bill's.

He absolutely is the rising tide.

He was phenomenal during a season in which the Texans defense was among the worst in the league and key offensive players such as David Johnson and Will Fuller missed significant time.

HOU only won 4 games but threatened to win 8 others. All lost by one score. Despite the awful defense, injuries and loss of Hopkins via trade, DW gave that team a fighting chance in most every game. Just as you’d expect an elite franchise QB to do. And did so despite opposing defenses knowing he had to sling it almost every play.

With regard to detractors, I really do not understand what they are looking at. There’s a faction of fans here at FH that somehow believe Ryan Tannehill and Ryan Fitzpatrick are great yet Deshaun Watson is overrated???

Give me a small freaking break!

I said this in another thread and I’ll say it again and will fully stand behind it. Swap Patrick Mahomes for DW and KC doesn’t miss a beat. DW is every bit as good as PM.

As soon as you see him on a team as well rounded and explosive as KC that’ll become more evident. But it should be evident enough already considering how he was able to perform on such a bad team.

The Packers only won 6 games a few years back. Did that mean Aaron Rodgers wasn’t a rising tide QB? SMH.

One player can’t mask all the deficiencies of an entire team. But one as good as Watson sure gives that team a fighting chance, as we saw in at least 8 of the games they lost. And they were still competitive in some of the multi score losses to KC, BAL and GB.

The biggest piece of the puzzle in building a championship team is finding the right QB. Watson is one of those gigantic puzzle pieces. As bad as the Texans are and as little capital they have of building around him right now — there’s no chance they‘d consider trading that gigantic puzzle piece if their hand wasn’t forced.

So why shouldn’t a team like MIA go all in for that gigantic puzzle piece when they already have a much better team than HOU does and when their future assets still won’t be as depleted as HOU’s are now?

The proposed trade would still leave MIA with picks 18 and 50 this upcoming draft. Losing their 2022 1st would be rough, but perhaps they can find a way to avoid that. HOU isn’t in the drivers seat considering DW’s no trade clause and they’ll be hard pressed to do better than 3, 20 (from CHI), 36, a couple 4th‘s and a conditional pick.

The tide lifting the Texans last year rose them to 4 wins. You might have misunderstood my post. I'm not saying Watson is a bad QB. I agree that he's a very good QB and would likely have wonderful success on a better team. That's my point, and based on the majority of your post, it looks like you agree. He needs a better team, just as did/does almost every other QB that's ever played.

Sounds like we disagree only about the value of the picks we'd likely have to give up for the upgrade we'd see at the QB position. I value those picks very highly, and I think the team with Tua plus those picks will be better over the next 3 years than the team we would have with Watson minus those picks.

What do you guys think about my QAnon-level conspiracy theory that I came up with: Watson actually had a hand in selecting this new coach, but he was told to continue to publicly say that he still wants to be traded, just to make sure nobody suspected that he had that much power to do that

Actually, the best outcome for the Texans is to do nothing with Watson. If he's truly principled enough to sit out the whole season, that helps the Texans. It guarantees them the 1.1 in 2022 and since this is at least a 3 year rebuild, they won't miss him this year. Revisit next year especially if he's coming off getting no salary and paying a fortune in fines.

This would be the best outcome. No more threatening Tua’s status. Jets go on with Darnold and Texans have a QB and nothing else.

He's starting negotiations with that statement. If you expressed that you're all jazzed to trade a player the price goes down. If it's "off the table" you're anchoring your starting position.

Similarly Grier and Flo have said This is there guy and there is no interest. That's their anchor.

If these two clubs end up in discussions for a trade they've already laid out their stance that "Watson won't be cheap" and "we won't overpay for Watson".

Ultimately I think nothing happens but it's fun to watch these guys negotiate through the media.

Back
Top Bottom